Need input in choosing next cruise...

MamaParrotHead

We had thought we'd decided on the Destiny as our next cruise. I really like the ports of call offered. But with further consideration, I just don't think that that MANY ports is a good thing for us. Our last cruise was our first, and I really didn't think I'd enjoy the "At Sea" days...turns out I liked them just as much as the port days. So now atleast 1 "At Sea" day has become a requirement for us. Which means I'm completely lost as far as where we should go next.

We're tossing around the idea of doing the Valor again, but Western route this time...and as much as we loved the Valor, and frankly are afraid that many other ships might suffer from comparison, it seems a little "unadventurous" to do that. Part of the fun for us was exploring the ship. I've been looking at the Miracle and the Glory (we're looking 6/07, but comparing prices using 6/06), the Pride prcies seem kind of steep. There are mixed reviews on all of them, so that doesn't really make it any easier to choose. And we were also wondering if anything less than a 7 day cruise would be a let-down after taking out 7 day Eastern and LOVING every minute???

Anyway, in a nutshell...

*atleast 1 sea day

*5-7 days

*port city doesn't really matter, we're in the midwest and airfare is pretty standard to anywhere

*no Eastern route, we did that 5/05

Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks.

I loved the Destiny, it was my first love. I loved Aruba, we walked to the end of the shopping area and caught the public bus and rode to the beach and went to Carlos and Charlies'.Yes you will feel let down with a shorter cruise !!! Once, you fall in love with cruising five days will beat 0 days any day.:D

for me pricing is the biggie. then airfare. Look at airfare to the places of homeport-- coz that might have an impact of the ships you pick,

I always try new ships--- its part of the cruising experince for me. Maybe someday I will go back and retry my favorites. To date-- I cruised all the differnt carnival class ships--headed on a conquest class next.

Favorite and easiest--was a spirit class.

the first will always be the most memorable. Something special about your road to this great addiction

I loved the Destiny, it was my first love. I loved Aruba, we walked to the end of the shopping area and caught the public bus and rode to the beach and went to Carlos and Charlies'.Yes you will feel let down with a shorter cruise !!! Once, you fall in love with cruising five days will beat 0 days any day.:D

I do love the Destiny ports of call, but 5-6 straight days of ports doesn't really seem relaxing to me, I think we'd feel rushed and that we had to squeeze everything in, to do & see everything, and that really isn't what I'm looking for.:)

We had thought we'd decided on the Destiny as our next cruise. I really like the ports of call offered. But with further consideration, I just don't think that that MANY ports is a good thing for us. Our last cruise was our first, and I really didn't think I'd enjoy the "At Sea" days...turns out I liked them just as much as the port days. So now atleast 1 "At Sea" day has become a requirement for us. Which means I'm completely lost as far as where we should go next.

Took Destiny in 2004 for our 25th anniv. just because it went to Barbados. Loved the ship and intinerary so much, booked same ship for following year for dd's 21st bday. Guess what, we're going back again in April. Same ship. The three days in a row at ports really hasn't been an issue for us. We're not much on shopping these days. We've got all the souveniers we need for now. Would rather rent a car and see the islands. Wouldn't recommend that on Dominica. Roads are way curvy and steep. Other than tours which really are a blast, there's not much to do and you'll end up getting back to the ship a lot earlier than you probably anticipated. And, unfortunately since they've shortened our time on Barbados, it's amazing how much time you really do spend on the ship for those three days.

We're from just south of Detroit and booked Carnival because of the price. We could go with one of the more expensive cruise lines but we've never been on a vacation where we didn't enjoy ourselves, so we figured why spend the extra money?

Just some thoughts from this corner of the snowy (6-8" today) world.

I loved the Miracle. The ship was easy to find your way around in, quiet cabins. We were on deck 6 (Empress) right off the mid-ship elevators and we couldn't have been in a better spot. The ports were great. We missed Costa Maya and Coz because of Wilma, but we had a great time in the Caymans and Belize.

The great thing about the western itinerary is that the ports are the types that there are a wide variety of excursions to occupy your time, or you can just "hang". Almost like a sea day if you are feeling overwhelmed by activity. I really didn't find anything at any of the ports that was a "must see" except for the Caymans - I would have really been disappointed if I hadn't had the opportunity to go to Sting Ray City (even though I did squeal like a girl!).

We have booked the Glory for the eastern route in January of 07. Can't wait!

My husband and I cruised on the Valor western in October. We had a blast!!! The only thing to consider when going on a western itin. is tendering. If you are the type that wants to walk right off the ship, then you might want to reconsider the western route. We hit Belize, Roatan, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel (before the hurricane):( . We had to tender into Belize and Grand Cayman. Depending on when you are sailing you may have to tender into Cozumel. We did cave tubing in Belize----a must with Coral Gardens, beach day in Roatan, Sting Ray City--another must with Capt. Bryan's, and Paradise Beach in Coz. And yes....I too squealed like a girl when at Sting Ray City:D !

we are going on the Destiny and the price was great, but the airfare was not. we have made up for the good cruise price by paying it in air. we live in the midwest and I am not sure why it is so much higher here. anyways , there are 2 sea days on the destiny. As far as the length fo the cruise I would not be able to go on anything smaller than a 7 day now that i have been on 7 days (ok I have always done 7 days) I think it is true about your frist ship always being the favorite too.

Archived