Apple TV and Harmony ship

jbiz

• 4 weeks later...

I'm glad I found this thread. I'm thinking about getting and trying this specifically to connect a Roku or Chromecast to the state room TV. We already have 2-device Voom purchased for the two of us.

So think of me as a techie noob. I'm not new to attempting things and getting things figured out, but I usually need some research to work off of. So I have a few questions...

As I understand, no computer is needed, correct? All can be done with a smartphone, right?

And with this travel router, it is able to clone a MAC address of my phone while acting as a wifi to wifi hotspot/router? And what is this mode called?

And does this router have the option to hide SSID broadcast?

I'm glad I found this thread. I'm thinking about getting and trying this specifically to connect a Roku or Chromecast to the state room TV. We already have 2-device Voom purchased for the two of us.

So think of me as a techie noob. I'm not new to attempting things and getting things figured out, but I usually need some research to work off of. So I have a few questions...

As I understand, no computer is needed, correct? All can be done with a smartphone, right?

And with this travel router, it is able to clone a MAC address of my phone while acting as a wifi to wifi hotspot/router? And what is this mode called?

And does this router have the option to hide SSID broadcast?

The travel router part is the easiest and you don't need a computer, just make sure you know your travel router's passphrase and admin password if its new out of the box.

IME you don't need to clone a MAC address. I shared my 1 device plan on Anthem last week, using my phone while out of the cabin, then logging out, connecting to my SSID and then logging back in through my travel router when back in the cabin.

I did try cloning the MAC address which seemed to confuse the system since it saw two client radios with the same MAC (supposition, didn't explore this in great detail). I ended up just using the burned in MAC of my travel router for 9 nights without issue.

I didn't hide my SSID, that is quite pointless as any rogue detection in use would find it anyways.

You bigger challenge is trying to access and use the HDMI inputs on the TV. This varies by ship. Anthem and Harmony IME across four cruises in different cabins, don't allow you to physically reach the HDMI inputs. I was on Anthem last week and didn't even bother to bring my remote from home, or streaming box because I know I can't physically reach the inputs. On other ships like Freedom, Indy or Grandeur I have been able to reach the HDMI inputs. YMMV.

The travel router part is the easiest and you don't need a computer, just make sure you know your travel router's passphrase and admin password if its new out of the box.

IME you don't need to clone a MAC address. I shared my 1 device plan on Anthem last week, using my phone while out of the cabin, then logging out, connecting to my SSID and then logging back in through my travel router when back in the cabin.

I did try cloning the MAC address which seemed to confuse the system since it saw two client radios with the same MAC (supposition, didn't explore this in great detail). I ended up just using the burned in MAC of my travel router for 9 nights without issue.

I didn't hide my SSID, that is quite pointless as any rogue detection in use would find it anyways.

You bigger challenge is trying to access and use the HDMI inputs on the TV. This varies by ship. Anthem and Harmony IME across four cruises in different cabins, don't allow you to physically reach the HDMI inputs. I was on Anthem last week and didn't even bother to bring my remote from home, or streaming box because I know I can't physically reach the inputs. On other ships like Freedom, Indy or Grandeur I have been able to reach the HDMI inputs. YMMV.

I saw a YouTube video about connecting an HDMI cable on a Harmony state room TV. He says it helps that the TV swings out, but there are some rooms where the TV swings in the other direction so my milage will indeed very. I will still attempt it and bring a remote.

And I brought up the subject of MAC cloning fearing RCI may black list it. My cruise is in Sept, so fingers crossed nothing changes until then.

It would be nice if these devices had unique MAC addresses, like phones and computers, so black listing these would be more difficult.

Thanks for your help!

It would be nice if these devices had unique MAC addresses, like phones and computers, so black listing these would be more difficult.

Thanks for your help!

All devices do have unique MAC addresses, in fact they must. Some people have tried to clone a MAC address for some reason thinking this accomplishes something. IME using a travel router on different ships it isn't required and can cause its own set of issues.

We took our old Apple TV with us on Anthem last week. It took a bit to connect the hdmi port, as the tv didn’t move in a JS. We called IT and told them we needed to connect the Apple TV. They let us borrow a Samsung remote for the 9 days. As for the tp-link it got much better download speeds after 9pm until about 8am. We cloned her phone to the tp-link and put on the Apple on the tp-link WiFi. The only constant issue is the need to refresh the tp-link. We did have issues with digital vs downloaded content in home sharing. It seems the digital “worked” better, as the ripped content gave us problems. It will work if you give it TLC.

All devices do have unique MAC addresses, in fact they must. Some people have tried to clone a MAC address for some reason thinking this accomplishes something. IME using a travel router on different ships it isn't required and can cause its own set of issues.

Gotcha! It's making more and more sense to me now and I'll be giving this a try. The remote, router, and Roku don't take up much space. And honestly no worries if it doesn't work out. But being able to watch a little something before bed would just add to our relaxation.

I have another question that's a bit off topic but directed to those that use Netflix, Amazon Prime, and other US based streaming services. Are you able to stream all of the content that is available for streaming? Some people on here claim using these services on the ship may be limited since the ship's internet may be using international servers. But when advertising Voom, they specifically mention accessing Netflix and the others. And after doing some research some people have ran some of the server IPs threw a search to show that they are either based in Florida or Texas. But, does anyone have any hands-on experience with limited or missing content? Or was everything working fine? (Should I create a thread about this?)