Best vegetarian food?

orchardweb

Which cruise line has the best food for vegetarians? We sailed on the Coral Princess recently and although the food for us veggies was fine, it was a little unimaginative with an over-reliance on pasta. There was a tofu stir-fry on offer one evening which was nice but it was the only time we saw any meat substitute on the menu.

At least Princess clearly mark the vegetarian options - on Holland America's Rotterdam earlier in the year it was a case of guessing which courses were likely to be meat-free as the waiters didn't seem to know. We ordered Cheese and Potato Soup one night only to find it had cubed ham in. Not a pleasant experience after 20 years of vegetarianism to find a piece of dead pig in my mouth! It wasn't a one-off either, two days later we ordered Borscht - guess what? Cubed ham again!

Of the cruise lines we've travelled on, P&O out of the UK had the best veggie food but unfortunately there are other aspects of the cruise line I don't like so I won't travel with them again.

Any suggestions gratefully received....

On our recent cruise with Carnival, my daughter was able to find a veggie entree each night in the main dining room. She ordered all the courses and there was always a vegetarian option and there were no surprises. Most of the entrees were good, with the exception of the vegetarian lasagna which should have been named spinach pie.

I don't eat meat, dairy products, or eggs. You have to ask about everything as they will even serve you soups and sauces made with meat broth.

The only suggestion I have is to let your TA know and follow up with the cruise line about a month out with calls and or letters. Then on the ship you need to meet the Maitre'd the first day when he is available and let him know your food concerns. Usually they make sure your head waiter and waiter know. Typically the head waiter will bring you the next day's menu so you can preorder.

I have had 10 cruises and 6-7 were with my diet changes. I have one bad one and one not so good, and the rest were fine. These have been on Costa Carnival, Celebrity, Princess, and Royal Caribbean. This past cruise cruise on Sun Princess we were on for 15 days. I ate a lot of Indian curry dishes. They were so good the head waiter had to order double for me as everyone at the table wanted to share!

The following is from Royal Caribbean's website. The vegetarian items on the menu have a symbol next to them (a carrot I think) to designate they are meat free. I don't eat beef, pork, or lamb so I ate the vegetarian selection several times when the seafood or chicken choice didn't appeal to me. I thought the food in the dining room was really good most nights.

VEGETARIAN MEALS

On all our daily menus we offer a Vegetarian Selection (an appetizer, soup, salad and main entrée).This does not have to be ordered in advance.

Please Note: These are not Vegan/Macrobiotic or Lacto-Ovo specific and do contain dairy. The ships do not provide Vegan/Macrobiotic meals.

Archived