Viking: Cologne to Nuremberg

notrealname1111

I just got a notification from Viking that the Main River is very high and we might have to transfer ships in the middle of our cruise. I am not a happy camper now even though I know that these things happen. Has anyone experienced this that could soothe me that I haven't wasted my money for a veranda suite on a river cruise when I am going to be possibly taking a bus trip through Germany?

This is an instance where it's good to be on Viking with a large fleet of identical river ships. The most likely scenario is that one morning you'll be asked to pack your bags and leave them in your stateroom before boarding a bus for your excursion. After the excursion, your bus will continue upriver where you'll find an identical ship docked. You'll board the ship and go to your stateroom (same number and location) where your luggage will be waiting for you.

Yes, that's all good and well. I just paid money so I wouldn't have to pack and unpack...and I wanted to be riding in the privacy of my stateroom on a river and not on a bus full of people. (I have OCD) I feel petty for being upset about something so minor when there are people who have been killed on a bus in Mexico. I'm frustrated with myself.

I just got a notification from Viking that the Main River is very high and we might have to transfer ships in the middle of our cruise. I am not a happy camper now even though I know that these things happen. Has anyone experienced this that could soothe me that I haven't wasted my money for a veranda suite on a river cruise when I am going to be possibly taking a bus trip through Germany?

We did this trip on Dec 8 without problems. I’ve heard from someone on the Dec 15 cruise who just did a ship swap. He thinks it WAS BETTER because they added Frankfurt to the cruise. He thinks it’s a win/win.

We did this trip on Dec 8 without problems. I’ve heard from someone on the Dec 15 cruise who just did a ship swap. He thinks it WAS BETTER because they added Frankfurt to the cruise. He thinks it’s a win/win.

Thank you ! :) I am trying to keep a positive attitude.

Please don’t fret about a ship swap. On our first river cruise, we had to swap ships on the Danube. The swap was a non-issue, and the lovely lunch at a beer garden in Passau (since we couldn’t eat on the ship) is one of my favorite memories.

Enjoy!

Jeff

Please don’t fret about a ship swap. On our first river cruise, we had to swap ships on the Danube. The swap was a non-issue, and the lovely lunch at a beer garden in Passau (since we couldn’t eat on the ship) is one of my favorite memories.

Enjoy!

Jeff

Thank you :)

• 2 weeks later...
How was the cruise? Did you have to swap?

Happy New Year!

Jeff

One day we had to leave an hour early due to rising water so we could get under a low bridge.

But ...

This was our 9th Viking trip and no swaps ever.

It was also one of the best trips ever. Only Viking China was much better.