Cruising with nearly 5 year old autistic boy on the Breeze

crzycick

We have a 15 yr old on the spectrum that loves cruises too. We have been cruising since he was 7. We still bring noise canceling headphones which he pretty much just uses now if we go to shows but that can help in dining room or other noisy situations to ease overstimulation.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I dont have input on a lot of this but as a mother of an ADHD boy with a bit of emotional disorder, I can assure that Camp Carnival will do all they can to assist you. They typically give a phone for the younger kids. I have taken my son on 3 cruises at 6, 7, & 8. I've gotten a phone every time after explaining that he has some special needs & has to know that he can be in touch with me at any time. It's a comfort to him that he can call me & talk if he needs & it makes me feel better too knowing he can catch me if he needs to. He loves Camp Carnival & does better every cruise.

Go to the camp on the first day. Talk to a counselor about your needs. They're fabulous. They'll tell you how to make it a great experience for all of you.

We are traveling in Feb. with my super hero grandson. He is 6 with Autism and sensory issues.

We use a weighted backpack for him. So much cheaper than a vest. He also has a beanie that has headphones so that helps with the noise from the tablet. We will also download some movies and shows from Netflix which usually keeps him entertained at restaurants. (Let them glare :D).

I also found on Etsy a harness with a lead. This has been the best purchase I have ever made to keep the little man from getting away.

We personally choose Feb. due to less kids on board and less opportunity for a sensory meltdown in the kids camp. As everyone said contact guest services and the Maître D, Good luck and enjoy making memories.

We have two sons that are high functioning autism. For both our cruises we have asked through our travel agent to ask for a quieter side of the dining room. On the Pride we got a really nice place off to the side of the main dining room, and on the Freedom we were on the upper level of the middle dining room.

One of our sons had the cocktail shrimp appetizer, cheese pizza main course and tropical fruit plate dessert for every dinner. We tried to encourage him to diversify but he was content with that order.