Cruising with nearly 5 year old autistic boy on the Breeze

crzycick

Any tips for traveling with a young autistic child on Carnival? My biggest worry is the overstimulation in the dining room. We take him out to eat frequently but he’s never sat with strangers (which is always possible with cruises) and never such a large dining room.

My next worry is that he is not totally potty trained. I know there are ways around that in the kids area for special needs but what do I need to do? Do they ever try to fight parents on it?

How available is peanut butter and jelly? It’s about all he eats. He seriously eats a *frozen* PBJ 3 times a day (with all kinds of rules about exactly how it’s cut and how it’s set on the plate) but we’re trying hard to get him to at least accept a regular PBJ.

He’s mild to moderate on the spectrum, verbal but delayed speech, but he’s also very big for his age so his developmental delays appear to be even more delayed since he appears to be a couple of years older than he is. He’s very social, awkwardly so, so I imagine he’ll love the kids area. Ships are his most favorite thing in the world so we imagine he’ll be over the moon when we tell him at Christmas about our trip.

Any other tips or advice?

We took our son with autism when he was 9. He loved the kids club! They were wonderful with him. Let your dining room team know about his love for pbjs....they will make them and treat him wonderful. You can request a table for just your family if you're worried about that...message John Heald 3 days before your cruise. Have a wonderful time!

Sent from my SM-J327V using Forums mobile app

I would assume that Carnival will gladly seat you at a 4 top booth if you reach out and make note of your special request. I sincerely hope you all have a wonderful time.

Oh, and by the end of the cruise he might be expecting melting cake every night once you get home!

I would assume that Carnival will gladly seat you at a 4 top booth if you reach out and make note of your special request. I sincerely hope you all have a wonderful time.

Oh, and by the end of the cruise he might be expecting melting cake every night once you get home!

A booth would be IDEAL for the 3 of us but we’re traveling with my inlaws who are quite large and can’t fit in booths. Which is another difficult part of the dining room equation.

I haven’t cruised in years. My last cruise we still ate lunch in the dining room. Since that’s not an option anymore, is peanut butter and jelly available in the buffet? What about for breakfast? It’s seriously all he eats for entrees. About twice a week he’ll eat Tyson’s chicken nuggets but only that brand. I’ll bring bread and jars of peanut butter and jelly if I have to.

Another concern, I’ve always done muster outside crowded on the deck. He can not handle that at all. I’ve heard some newer ships do it inside, sitting down. Is the breeze one of those ships? If not can I request special needs muster? My MIL has mobility issues so we sat inside the cigar lounge for muster once.

Definitely email the maitre'd for your ship about a week ahead of time and request a table for just your party. Also email special needs and advise you need the special needs muster.

As far as pb&j, you can get it day or night, it's even on the room service menu. As far as nuggets, I know my son got them a couple of times on our last trip, they actually seemed kinda fresh, not like the Tyson or Perdue ones.

With regard to the kids club, you may want to mention that if you email special needs as well. They should let him attend, but they may call you if your son needs assistance with the potty.

Best of luck, and I hope he loves it!!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

You can arrange a special Muster.

Look on the Family and Disabled Cruisers boards for lots of info.

For ports, you can’t take food off unless it’s commercially prepared and packaged. They’re looking for insects and pathogens. Not too sure if you’ll be able to take off a PBJ. They’re always available thru room service.

When flying PBJ is considered a liquid, so it’ll have to fit into a 311 bag.

You can arrange a special Muster.

Look on the Family and Disabled Cruisers boards for lots of info.

For ports, you can’t take food off unless it’s commercially prepared and packaged. They’re looking for insects and pathogens. Not too sure if you’ll be able to take off a PBJ. They’re always available thru room service.

When flying PBJ is considered a liquid, so it’ll have to fit into a 311 bag.

Thankfully we’re driving although we’ll probably shop when we get to Galveston anyways. The peanut butter and jelly I was thinking for just on board.

He likes cashews so I’ve found individually packaged ones to bring to port. He also eats applesauce only in cups and mandarin oranges. He likes goldfish and veggie straws and Sams has both of those in individual bags. Every once in awhile he’ll eat my ritz crackers with cheese. So I have some good options to bring to port. I’ve now listed just about every item he’ll eat :') It’s a pain because we literally take his food everywhere but it’s easy because I never wonder what he’ll like. He used to eat more but he’s gotten worse through the years. Crazy to go on a cruise and have to bring nearly all of my son’s food with me, haha.

Room service is going to think I’m nuts ordering so much PBJ. Is it like regular PBJ? White bread, grape jelly, not toasted? They’ve served some “normal” sandwiches in weird ways before and since that’s all he’ll eat this is pretty important to know.

Any tips for traveling with a young autistic child on Carnival? My biggest worry is the overstimulation in the dining room. We take him out to eat frequently but he’s never sat with strangers (which is always possible with cruises) and never such a large dining room.

My next worry is that he is not totally potty trained. I know there are ways around that in the kids area for special needs but what do I need to do? Do they ever try to fight parents on it?

How available is peanut butter and jelly? It’s about all he eats. He seriously eats a *frozen* PBJ 3 times a day (with all kinds of rules about exactly how it’s cut and how it’s set on the plate) but we’re trying hard to get him to at least accept a regular PBJ.

He’s mild to moderate on the spectrum, verbal but delayed speech, but he’s also very big for his age so his developmental delays appear to be even more delayed since he appears to be a couple of years older than he is. He’s very social, awkwardly so, so I imagine he’ll love the kids area. Ships are his most favorite thing in the world so we imagine he’ll be over the moon when we tell him at Christmas about our trip.

Any other tips or advice?

There isn't any pools areas on board that will accommodate his needs but plenty of water access at most ports. Plan to arrive to board about 2 pm and you will be about to walk right to your cabin.

Thankfully we’re driving although we’ll probably shop when we get to Galveston anyways. The peanut butter and jelly I was thinking for just on board.

He likes cashews so I’ve found individually packaged ones to bring to port. He also eats applesauce only in cups and mandarin oranges. He likes goldfish and veggie straws and Sams has both of those in individual bags. Every once in awhile he’ll eat my ritz crackers with cheese. So I have some good options to bring to port. I’ve now listed just about every item he’ll eat :') It’s a pain because we literally take his food everywhere but it’s easy because I never wonder what he’ll like. He used to eat more but he’s gotten worse through the years. Crazy to go on a cruise and have to bring nearly all of my son’s food with me, haha.

Room service is going to think I’m nuts ordering so much PBJ. Is it like regular PBJ? White bread, grape jelly, not toasted? They’ve served some “normal” sandwiches in weird ways before and since that’s all he’ll eat this is pretty important to know.

No idea about the room service PBJ as we have a child with nut/peanut allergies. Let them know you want the bread normal, not toasted and uncut (so you ca cut it off o his specifications if need be.)

For dinner service, see the MD when you board. They start seeing pax around 1. You can confirm your seating and preorder your child’s dinner, if need be. There is PBJ on the kid’s menu. Every night after that they should come by for the next day’s MDR orders. If they don’t, stop by the hostess stand.

Hint about cheese. The salad buffet sometimes has slices and sometimes cubes. The Deli has all slices. Simply ask for some slices in a plate. If he likes blue cheese, the pizza guy will give you some. Never seen American cheese onboard.

Edited by SadieN

I hope you contact carnival and express your concerns - they would want to know if your son has behavior issues wherein he may strike out at other children, or will potty issues affect kids around him, etc. Camp Carnival is great with the kids and tries to be all inclusive. I’m sure you would assess everything for yourself and decide if it appropriate for your situation. The dining room is loud and dining room entertainment by the wait staff is louder, if that might be an issue. Dinner at the Lido buffet is always very good, and a lot quieter. Hope you all enjoy your cruise, carnival IS the fun ship.

No idea about the room service PBJ as we have a child with nut/peanut allergies. Let them know you want the bread normal, not toasted and uncut (so you ca cut it off o his specifications if need be.)

For dinner service, see the MD when you board. They start seeing pax around 1. You can confirm your seating and preorder your child’s dinner, if need be. There is PBJ on the kid’s menu. Every night after that they should come by for the next day’s MDR orders. If they don’t, stop by the hostess stand.

Hint about cheese. The salad buffet sometimes has slices and sometimes cubes. The Deli has all slices. Simply ask for some slices in a plate. If he likes blue cheese, the pizza guy will give you some. Never seen American cheese onboard.

Great idea to ask for it to not be cut! Or toasted. He will only eat kraft slices. He’s super particular about a lot of brands, flavors, everything. Even his PBJ has to be cut off center with the small side on the right. He’ll correct it if it’s wrong :') Sometimes I do it backwards just to see how loudly he objects. Only if he’s in a good mood or lord help us all.

There isn't any pools areas on board that will accommodate his needs but plenty of water access at most ports. Plan to arrive to board about 2 pm and you will be about to walk right to your cabin.

He’s daytime pee trained, wakes up dry nearly every morning. It’s just that darn pooping stuff that’s so hard. Thankfully he almost exclusively does it at bedtime but I wouldn’t want his thrown off routine to cause issues so better safe than sorry we’ll probably go back to diapers in the daytime for the trip. He did just have his first slightly successful number 2 so maybe the excitement of finally doing it will finally get that going!

I'm going to share a film my son made while an intern at Marquette. We have autism in our extended family so I know some of the challenges. Best wishes on a wonderful and memorable trip.

That was a great video. I’ve heard about those types of programs. I don’t think our airport has done one but we’ll be driving 12 hours or so to Texas. My son would have loved to have taken an airplane!

I hope you contact carnival and express your concerns - they would want to know if your son has behavior issues wherein he may strike out at other children, or will potty issues affect kids around him, etc. Camp Carnival is great with the kids and tries to be all inclusive. I’m sure you would assess everything for yourself and decide if it appropriate for your situation. The dining room is loud and dining room entertainment by the wait staff is louder, if that might be an issue. Dinner at the Lido buffet is always very good, and a lot quieter. Hope you all enjoy your cruise, carnival IS the fun ship.

Thankfully they make children’s noise canceling headphones which help him greatly. That helps the noise, then we just work at blocking the visual stimulation. Usually a tablet works best because he gets lost in it. Lots of dirty glares but they’d be even unhappier if he had a sensory meltdown if we didn’t let his body wind down from the overstimulation. His school says he responds well to 20 minutes on, 20 minutes off of using weighted compression vests so we have ordered one for home use.

He still poops in a diaper, almost always at night and he’ll tell you if he needs a diaper. He’s in underwear during the day without accidents but needs assistance with clothing. We’ve been working really hard on that in OT and at home and he’s improving but he still struggles with some clothing.

Since you are driving, I would bring your own supplies for PB&J. The PB&J from the ship room service is just ok, but I can't remember if it was grape jelly or not. I would definitely contact special needs to address your concerns. Please do not bring him in any of the pools or slides - if he has a fecal accident they will shut down the pool or slide for an entire day. A negligent parent allowed their toddler in waterworks on the Magic a few years ago and the entire waterpark was shut down for 24 hours after the baby pooped on a slide.

We have been traveling with my special needs dd since she was 4 - she is now 29, and we are going on our 23rd CCL cruise in a few weeks. Please contact the special needs dept. at least a month before your cruise. They will discuss and handle all your concerns - from embarking the ship quickly, to small group muster drill, to kid's club, to dining food and table concerns, etc.

We have to supply a letter from our Doctor (neurologist) along with this form:

https://www.carnival.com/cms/fun/pdf/SRIFRM_012809.pdf

We fax AND snail mail AND bring a copy along with us to show the dining room maitre'd when we board. We have always been contacted by the special needs dept. before the cruise to go over what we need. Good luck!

If you are on the Breeze the muster is held inside. Our assigned location was the upper level of the theater. They did however make people fill in every seat, so I would make sure that I got the end of an aisle where I could get out in a hurry if necessary. Or, at the very back there are bar stools close to the door on the top level. That area does not make you feel so closed in and you can easily get out. I think your biggest problem will be when the drill is over and there is a crush of people trying to get in an elevator.

We have been traveling with my special needs dd since she was 4 - she is now 29, and we are going on our 23rd CCL cruise in a few weeks. Please contact the special needs dept. at least a month before your cruise. They will discuss and handle all your concerns - from embarking the ship quickly, to small group muster drill, to kid's club, to dining food and table concerns, etc.

We have to supply a letter from our Doctor (neurologist) along with this form:

https://www.carnival.com/cms/fun/pdf/SRIFRM_012809.pdf

We fax AND snail mail AND bring a copy along with us to show the dining room maitre'd when we board. We have always been contacted by the special needs dept. before the cruise to go over what we need. Good luck!

Yikes, we’re 30 days out. Is it best to call or email them? He was diagnosed by a developmental pediatrician but she has an 18 month wait list for appointments, do you think they’d accept something from his regular doctor write since he has been formally diagnosed? I have a very basic print out from 2.5 years ago with his diagnosis code.

Since you are driving, I would bring your own supplies for PB&J. The PB&J from the ship room service is just ok, but I can't remember if it was grape jelly or not. I would definitely contact special needs to address your concerns. Please do not bring him in any of the pools or slides - if he has a fecal accident they will shut down the pool or slide for an entire day. A negligent parent allowed their toddler in waterworks on the Magic a few years ago and the entire waterpark was shut down for 24 hours after the baby pooped on a slide.

Since it’s his main form of food, it’s probably best to bring a loaf of bread of jars of peanut butter and jelly, just in case. Aw the life of a special needs mom, haha.

Thankfully there’s absolutely no chance of a poop accident. He KNOWS when he has to go, demands a diaper since he’s in underwear and goes and tells everyone around “I want you to not see me, to not hear me, and to not smell anything.” Kid cracks me up. Every single time he does this. Then he goes and hides. If anyone dares to be in seeing distance he screams “don’t see me” even if they’re not looking at him. In his room he even turns his camera monitor around so we can’t accidentally check in on him. For months now he’s only pooped after we’ve put him to bed (when he gets a nighttime diaper) but before that it was really scary if we were in public and he had to poop, he’d dart off and hide! He’d never accidentally poop without a diaper or in front of people, he requires total privacy. Since he poops at bed time now I’m mostly concerned about his occasional need for help redressing although he’s getting a lot better lately.

You mentioned a weighted vest, have you tried a weighted blanket at nights? I have read that a weighted blanket is comforting.

Have a wonderful cruise and a Merry Christmas!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That’s a bit of a sore subject around here. My MIL promised to make one over a year ago. If we buy one it will cause incredible drama but we’re about at that point, tired of waiting.

In exciting news, we just had a successful full and complete bowel movement on the toilet! Oh happy day! He’ll be 5 in about 5 weeks and at over 65 lbs it’s not easy or cheap finding diapers to fit him. Super exciting day around here.

I hope you all have a wonderful cruise experience together. It's good to know how helpful a cruise line can be in special needs situations.

My granddaughter has a class of 7 little boys with autism. It is hard work but she loves every one of her students and they (and their parents) love her.

She says she has the most rewarding job in the world.

May this cruise be the first of many!❤️

Sent from my iPhone using Forums