Any idea why tour companies only seem to visit Arecibo on a Wednesday and Saturday?

OnTheJourney

...especially considering that the Observatory offers public visits from Wednesday through Sunday. It seems a bit odd. I don't want to bother with renting a car before our cruise, and so am looking for a tour that might go there on a Friday.

If anyone is aware of a company that goes there more than just Wed. and Sat., kindly let me know as I want to book my flights fairly soon. When I arrive in San Juan is dependent on whether or not i can work something out to visit Arecibo prior to my Saturday departure.

Thanks!

I'm the one that posted on your earlier thread.

I have a tour of Arecibo & a couple Caves for next FRIDAY, 12/29. Again, they couldn't confirm we were going due to Hurricane damage until early next week, but If we do, I'll give you the Company name, etc. I booked it through Viatour.

Hi TTCMBob,

Interesting that you have the tour booked for a Friday, being that the Viator site only lists Wednesday and Saturday as the available dates beginning January all the way through next December. Friday is the day I would want also. So, yeah, let me know how it all plays out! Thanks and Happy Holidays!

I too was interested in driving to Arecibo, but heard the damage there was some of the worst on the island. We have changed our plans for our visit next week and have decided to remain in San Juan for a few extra days instead of traveling around Puerto Rico due to the damage. There is always next time....

I hope you are able to visit Arecibo and report back on what it was like.

Your plan sounds like a good one. I'm surprised that they are running tours to Arecibo at all given the extent of the damage. I'm sure they are doing what they can to reinstate the infrastructure needed to keep the tourism industry going. Following the hurricane, I had no idea how long it'd even take until there were flights and cruises resuming a somewhat normal schedule. I've not heard back from any of the outfits I emailed about the Arecibo trips. I'll report back when I find out more. Have a wonderful and safe trip!

Good evening. Arrived in SJ and heard from tour company "Tourism Family" that he had to cancel the tour due to the sites to be visited still being closed due to damage. Rio Camuy Caves, and Arecibo as well as another cave complex. He was not optomistic about them opening any time soon. He had no info on why no one offered anything on Friday and his friday tour is no longer listed on Viator.

Bob

Hi Bob,

Glad you arrived safely. Thanks for the update! Not surprising that there are no Arecibo tours running. I came across an outfit that lists tours on Thursday through Sunday, but I strongly suspect their website hasn't been updated in quite some time despite their calendar showing 2018 dates. Still, worth contacting them. While I theoretically have till April to see if things change with the tours, I can't wait that long on booking the flights. The flight schedule is dependent on whether or not I have any tours booked. If not, I'll probably either fly down there the day of the cruise or else just one day before. I'll give it a few weeks yet and see what develops. Anyway, have a great cruise!