Best way to pay

Gdawgs

My wife and I are celebrating our 10th anniversary next year, so we're going on our first cruise to celebrate. We're going on an Eastern Carib, Jan 7.

What's the best way to pay for things when you are off the ship? I'm kind of chicken to carry too much cash. Do most places take debit cards? How about travelers checks. Do most places take them or are they a hassle? I've never used them so I'm not sure. How much cash do you really need to carry. We don't drink or gamble, so we don't have to budget that in. We don't really plan on spending a huge amount of money off the ship, but would like to pick up some small gifts, souvenirs, etc.

Thanks in advance,

Gary

I stick to the credit card but it depends where you are going. Tortola is in the BVI but they use American money instead of the British Pound but they have a lot of small shops that don't take anything but cash.

I would recommend bringing a comfortable amount of cash....and also your credit card.

Just be careful where you use you CC. There is so much theft these days. Use it for larger purchases...in established businesses. (not that that automatically means it is safe).

Use a credit card instead of debit as it gives you a lot more protection. Take what you think you will spend on the shore in small bills as some shops will give change in local currency which will be useless to you except as a sovenier. Use the credit card for larger purchases. Leave the rest of your cash on the ship in the safe.:)

My wife and I are celebrating our 10th anniversary next year, so we're going on our first cruise to celebrate. We're going on an Eastern Carib, Jan 7.

What's the best way to pay for things when you are off the ship? I'm kind of chicken to carry too much cash. Do most places take debit cards? How about travelers checks. Do most places take them or are they a hassle? I've never used them so I'm not sure. How much cash do you really need to carry. We don't drink or gamble, so we don't have to budget that in. We don't really plan on spending a huge amount of money off the ship, but would like to pick up some small gifts, souvenirs, etc.

Thanks in advance,

Gary

Hola,

Most places take U. S. currency and many larger stores will accept credit cards. We always take several traveler checks with us and get them cashed at the Pursers desk as we need them. I have only needed mexican pesos in one small store in Progeso. It was so far from the tourist routes that I needed my high school spanish to communicate.

Gary, since you say you'll only be spending small amounts for souveniers, etc. while on shore, I would suggest that you take a few traveler's checks. You can cash them at the purser's desk prior to disembarking at a port. That way, you won't have a large amount of cash to deal with.

Actually, maybe just take a lot of small bills with you - fives and tens. You can always keep them in the safe in your cabin, and remove whatever amount you need prior to reaching a port.:confused:

Debit/credit cards.....I never take them ashore. Not a good idea in these times when there is so much card fraud, y'know?

Gary, since you say you'll only be spending small amounts for souveniers, etc. while on shore, I would suggest that you take a few traveler's checks. You can cash them at the purser's desk prior to disembarking at a port. That way, you won't have a large amount of cash to deal with.

Actually, maybe just take a lot of small bills with you - fives and tens. You can always keep them in the safe in your cabin, and remove whatever amount you need prior to reaching a port.:confused:

Debit/credit cards.....I never take them ashore. Not a good idea in these times when there is so much card fraud, y'know?

We take travelers checks and credit cards. Makes sure you call your credit card provider, (800 number on back of card), before you travel and let them know what countys you will be visiting and the dates. That will help to prevent credit card fraud. Plus some credit cards providers will put a stop on the card if purchases start coming in from foreign countrys.

What's the best way to pay for things when you are off the ship?

Credit card. Take some cash, if you run out there's ATM's everywhere. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

A point to remember that many forget is to notify your bank and credit card companies before you go that you are going, where you will be and when otherwise you will find yourself on an Island or where ever and try to use your card and be denied and it is NOT easy to contact the credit card company from there to work it all out.

Archived