New Orleans Mardi Gras Weather

Silvery Seas Cruiser

For those of you experienced with typical February weather in New Orleans, what can we expect? We live in South Florida. I don't own a warm jacket. Should I buy one, especially for evenings?

We went to Mardi Gras last year. There was a website I found that listed the weather (highs and lows, precipitation, etc) for every Mardi Gras going back several years that I found. Was it helpful? Well, it kind of was but it really only told me that the weather in New Orleans can vary greatly for that event. Last year, it was not only sunny but hot whereas some of the weather reports were expecting rain. We never needed a sweater, much less a jacket at night and the daytime temperatures called for shorts and a tee shirt. It can get down into freezing temps but that certainly wasn't our experience. I think the night time temps (we were out until somewhere around midnight on two of those nights) were around 60 degrees. In the daytime, it got into the high seventies, maybe even reaching into the low 80's.

Gangway, I've been to about 40 Mardi Gras and the weather can be warm or very cold. Last year, as I recall, was warm. A few years ago there was a cold rain with the temperatures in the upper 30s. This year Mardi Gras is Feb 13, so I would bet on cooler weather.

Oh my goodness! I was afraid it was going to be super cold and even rainy. We will be there on Reflection in February. I was thinking I'd take advantage of the coat sales we have in Florida after Christmas, but now I may may save my money especially because the rest of the cruise will be quite warm. It sounds like the weather will be similar to Disney World in winter so maybe I can get by with a warm sweater and jeans.

Thank you all for your excellent advice. I really appreciate it. Happy New Years in advance!

Long term Mobilian (not NOLA, but pretty darn close), weather is quite unpredictable, but likely to be WET. Bring light ponchos or rain jackets, waterproof your tennis shoes with spray on waterproofing, and waterproof a small backpack for your stuff. Otherwise a mixture of long and short sleeves and maybe a light sweater. If there is a cold snap and you go to a night parade, layer up and slip in a hat and gloves. Worst comes to worse, buy a sweatshirt to add an extra layer. The weather report within one week of when you are there will be accurate enough for packing.

Some of our most glorious weather is in early to mid February, so keep your fingers crossed that you get lucky, prepare for rain, as long as you are dry, the rest is, as we say, lagniappe.