Can you pick up Sirius in the Eastern?

flagger

We both kind of want to hear Howard Stern's first show on Sirius on January 9th, but don't know if you can pick up Sirius channels on an Eastern Carib cruise?

What receiver should I be looking at that is portable, or do they even make one yet?

Never tried but I would think your could. Satellites don't discern between land and sea. Those things are pretty amazing. On our way to Snowshoe to go skiing we had to go threw a mile long tunnel. Regular radio cut out quickly but the satellite radio never missed a beat. Explain that!

Never tried but I would think your could. Satellites don't discern between land and sea. Those things are pretty amazing. On our way to Snowshoe to go skiing we had to go threw a mile long tunnel. Regular radio cut out quickly but the satellite radio never missed a beat. Explain that!

Satellite. Do worries.

This begs the question, why would you want to listen to Howard Stern on a cruise. I thought people took cruises to get away from garbage mouth rednecks!

George+

HS must be doing something right! Look at the size of his listener base! Plus 500million for 5 years.

It probably will not work. Both Sirius and XM have a small number of satellites, "aimed" at the U.S., so they do NOT have global coverage. On an Eastern Carribean, you may be in range part of the time, but at best you would be on the fringe, so don't expect any kind of reliable service.

Here's a link that gives some techie details if you are interested:

http://www.elecdesign.com/Articles/Index.cfm?AD=1&ArticleID=5603

Flagger, I'm in your corner and have agonized over returning from a transatlantic on Jan 9th to NYC. I just got my Sirius set up and here are a few of the problems.

There is no portable model. The new S50 will record at least 5 hours I think. So your best bet might be to have someone record the show for you on that set. With any other model you would most likely need a balcony cabin so that your exposure would be to the west. Think port side if sailing to Florida from Caribbean. Then you would need the home docking kit for your receiver and would have to plug in to 115v outlet and since the current from these outlets is sometimes a little iffy, I would be worried about frying my new receiver, but forget that. Then unless the reciever you got had a way to directly plug in headphones to listen, you would need a regular FM radio so you could use the FM transmitter on the Sirius to broadcast to the FM radio.

All in all, a big pain in the rear. You can learn a lot on the boards at http://www.siriusbackstage.com/

We have an aft cabin so we have a good chance at coverage, but who knows. I like the sportster boombox because I can get a car radio later. I think the price for the S50 is way too high right now. On the power front, my multiplug extension has a built in surge protector. I really wish there was a truly portable model.

We the Sportster R and the boombox. Just keep in mind that the thing is really heavy. One more point; it will work with batteries, no need for voltage problem outlets. Again, that makes it heavier. My DH just said that a friend was able to get a signal in PR.

I posted asking about the Sirius signal about a week ago, very little response. Thanks for bringing it up again. We bought ours last weekend (bought 3 total....DS will love his) and they were just being scarfed up like it was the gift this year. HS will help recoup those big $$$ in no time. The DH and both DS's are major fans; but, I will probably check out the opening day, too.

I agree with the previous posters, have someone tape it for you and listen when you return.

I haven't checked out Sirius, but did have an XM boombox on the 2005 Prinsendam Grand world Voyage. It worked well down to about 15 degrees north latitude (a little South of Puerto Rico, southern end of Belize). No coverage through the Pananma Canal, and then picked it up again coming up the west sideof Mexico at about 15 degrees north. The coverage of the two systems should be similar outside the US as you are receiving only the satellite signal and no land based fill in repeaters such as the one used to provide the tunnel coverage mentioned earlier.

500 million Howard Stern listeners, cruise 182?! Wow....if you add up the entire populations of Canada and the United States you have a little less than 400 million..so there must be another 100 million people around the world listening to Howard Stern -- all of the population of England and Ireland, maybe?

I guess that makes HS the most popular person in the whole English-speaking western world! And to think I'm the only person not listening...

500 million Howard Stern listeners, cruise 182?! Wow....if you add up the entire populations of Canada and the United States you have a little less than 400 million..so there must be another 100 million people around the world listening to Howard Stern -- all of the population of England and Ireland, maybe?

I guess that makes HS the most popular person in the whole English-speaking western world! And to think I'm the only person not listening...

Maybe they're counting each ear separately?:D (And I'm not a listener either, so there's at least two of us!)

Lisa

It's a 5 year contract worth $500M to Stern. He only has 6.5M listeners on traditional radio. Which will take a significant hit when he moves to Sirius. But probably a good move on their part because many of his fans seem to be so devoted that it will probably boost Sirius subscriptions by a couple million over the coming months.

Personally, I don't listen to Stern.

Cruise182 never said he had 500 million listeners. Thats what Sirius is paying for his show over the next 5 years. 500 million dollars.

However many listeners he had is immaterial now. The only people who will listen now are those that sign on with Sirius and then tune in his channel. So no one has to be subjected to him because they are unable to figure out how to change the channel on their FM radio.

You can pretty much forget it. I took mine on the Millie the week of Dec4 because I wanted to catch the Duke/Texas game. I could get no signal anywhere South of Nassau and really could not get a decent signal there. I think another problem is that on the Millie the balcony on deck 9 protrudes over the lower balconies. I was on deck 7 so didn't really have a straight shot at the sky. Maybe they will improve in the next few years. I hope so. I'm tired of watching Argentinian soccer and I Love Lucy.

Archived