How to book Kitchen Table on Viking Star?

wayfair816

Hello! Does anyone have any idea how to book the Kitchen Table experience on the Viking Star? It sounds amazing, but I can't find any information about how to book it!

This is not first hand knowledge but I did do research. If you look at your itinerary you will see at which ports this experience is listed. When excursions are released for your cruise, all of these may not have made the cut. If they did, they will be listed at that time. Booking is a little different. This activity usually only has 12 participants at most per session. Here, your cabin level may make a difference in making the table. The earlier you book, the better the chances of getting in. On our Homelands cruise in '16, the charge was very high and I don't know that they were well attended. Don't know the cost for our Mediterranean cruise as they have been released yet. This is an experience with a targeted market. If it appeals to your cruise passengers, it might be very busy or very available and there is really no way to tell that with certainty. Hopes this gives you some insight. There is a video on Youtube about the experience made by some travel agent to give you an idea of how it works.

Yes, because it involves going to the market with the chef and then later prepping the food for the meal and involvement in cooking.

The experience of shopping for various food items in port with the chef, and then making a meal with those ingredients (which I would love doing) is an option I have read happens , however I have also read that these classes are offered on Sea days when it would not be possible to go to market....

it would be really helpful if Viking could clarify for us how this all works....I truly think that there are a good number of us who would really enjoy the experience....and how to be able to participate.....

The experience of shopping for various food items in port with the chef, and then making a meal with those ingredients (which I would love doing) is an option I have read happens , however I have also read that these classes are offered on Sea days when it would not be possible to go to market....

it would be really helpful if Viking could clarify for us how this all works....I truly think that there are a good number of us who would really enjoy the experience....and how to be able to participate.....

My understanding that the experience you speak of are 'cooking classes' that are sometimes offered on sea days and are promoted through the daily on board. Given that they do not go to market they might be cheaper than the other version Kitchen Table. If it does include the meal, then the class would still only be able to take up to 12 according the seating in the venue. Just a class with some tasting might be able to be held in the theater but no formal meal. The was sort of a Top Chef experience with the crew offered on our sea day but it was more entertainment and fun than a class and it was free.

We did the cooking class for lunch on one of the sea days a few weeks ago. It was limited to 12 people, and it cost $149 pp, as I recall. We were given Viking cook's aprons and we had vegetables to cut. Then the chef did the rest of the meal preparation while we all watched. Finally, the meal was served, accompanied by wine. We made our reservations at the excursion desk. I do not believe it could be done on line. One family arrived an hour late, as their printed tickets had the wrong time on them. It was fun, but I would not do it again.

My understanding that the experience you speak of are 'cooking classes' that are sometimes offered on sea days and are promoted through the daily on board. Given that they do not go to market they might be cheaper than the other version Kitchen Table. If it does include the meal, then the class would still only be able to take up to 12 according the seating in the venue. Just a class with some tasting might be able to be held in the theater but no formal meal. The was sort of a Top Chef experience with the crew offered on our sea day but it was more entertainment and fun than a class and it was free.

Thank you for this clarification Dauntless.....It Makes sense and it opens up various opportunities to explore. Appreciate your feedback.

We did the cooking class for lunch on one of the sea days a few weeks ago. It was limited to 12 people, and it cost $149 pp, as I recall. We were given Viking cook's aprons and we had vegetables to cut. Then the chef did the rest of the meal preparation while we all watched. Finally, the meal was served, accompanied by wine. We made our reservations at the excursion desk. I do not believe it could be done on line. One family arrived an hour late, as their printed tickets had the wrong time on them. It was fun, but I would not do it again.

Wow, that is quite a bit of money IMHO for a mostly hands off cooking experience that does not involve the market shopping while in port. I am kind of surprised to be honest...

I have participated in cooking classes on board another line that was about the same size of people, was fully hands on, and at a much lower price point.....and it included a nice apron as well.

Good to know ahead of the experience what to expect. Thank you for this information.....

My mistake. It was $59 per person.

to me that is so unfair that if you paid more for your cruise vs someone who paid less should not be treated differently in the resturants when you all went and booked to the same trip, vs a suite over a regular cabin. That is just uncalled for. Everyone should be treated with respect nothing else.. you all bought into this trip everyone needed to be doing the best for everyone not vice versa just because you spent 14.000 for your trip pp vs someone getting one for 8900.00 pp.. everything should be treated the same . my opinion.

I am not sure Sweet Tea Two why my questions about the special Kitchen Table classes have anything to do with booking reservations in the actual restaurants? These are two completely different topics. The Kitchen Table is not a standard dining venu but rather used mostly for classes and on occasion special events.

The booking of specialty restaurants are based on room category and is actually extremely common on cruise lines. Each line handles it a bit differently - some have specialty restaurants that only certain cabin categories can even use. What is a bit different with Viking is that there are no extra charges for specialty restaurants as you find on many lines. That is a big plus.

Most cruiselines offer varying perks based on your room category and therefore translates to how much you pay. It’s just common practice....Just like on a plane...pay more = better seats, space, food....

And to clarify, when you are in any of Viking dining venues, you will all be treated the same. One category does not receive better service nor food. It is the pre-reservations system and the number you are allowed to book ahead of your cruise in the specialty restaurants that is based on cabin category.

I am not sure Sweet Tea Two why my questions about the special Kitchen Table classes have anything to do with booking reservations in the actual restaurants? These are two completely different topics. The Kitchen Table is not a standard dining venu but rather used mostly for classes and on occasion special events.

The booking of specialty restaurants are based on room category and is actually extremely common on cruise lines. Each line handles it a bit differently - some have specialty restaurants that only certain cabin categories can even use. What is a bit different with Viking is that there are no extra charges for specialty restaurants as you find on many lines. That is a big plus.

Most cruiselines offer varying perks based on your room category and therefore translates to how much you pay. It’s just common practice....Just like on a plane...pay more = better seats, space, food....

And to clarify, when you are in any of Viking dining venues, you will all be treated the same. One category does not receive better service nor food. It is the pre-reservations system and the number you are allowed to book ahead of your cruise in the specialty restaurants that is based on cabin category.

Well put and like you, I was having trouble seeing how these two posts were linked. Guess I must have missed the road sign for "Tanget". I'm the one in the least expensive cabin and in my experience, I was never treated differently.