Panama Canal or Med Cruise?

teedee

We are currently booked on Coral Princess for a 10 nt cruise next March, but now that the prices for the Mediterannean on Celebrity for next year are in I'm thinking we might like to do that instead. The prices for the cruises are about the same, excluding airfare, which I know will be a lot more for the Med cruise but that's not really an issue. ANYWAY, if there is anyone out there who has done both I would really like some input on which one you would choose.

Thanks a lot

Terri

Skyward - 1989
Carnivale - 1991
Holiday - 1994
Fantasy - 1998
Century - 2002
Century - 2003
Jubilee - 7/04
Century - 9/04
Coral Princess - 3/05
Valor - 10/05

Days til Valor Vampires Cruise
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2005;10;30;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
[img]http://www.bigotis.com/valorvampires.gif[/img]

We've done Trans-Canal from San Diego to Ft. Lauderdale twice on Infinity and the Med. several times via ship.

Both are wonderful cruises - while the Canal is spectacular and everyone should do it once in their lifetime - we are extremely partial to Mediterranean cruises. Our very first cruise was on an old ship in the Med. and we just kept going back for more....and plan another on Millie next May. The culture, history, and absolute, breathtaking beauty of the Med. are the draws for us in Europe.

Our Canal cruises were both in December and all but one of our Med. cruises have been in May (the perfect month IMHO - not too crowded, not too hot).

You will have a wonderful cruise which ever cruise you select.

Pooh Bear
=^-.-^=

(AKA/Sharon and Will)

REMBRANDT - Med. 9/1998: and so it begins!
LEGEND OF THE SEA - Med. 5/1999
SPLENDOR OF THE SEA - Med. 5/2000
INFINITY - Hawaii 4/2001
MILLIE -Med. - 5/2002 (X No Go)
RHAPSODY OF THE SEA - Mardi Gras - 2/2002
INFINITY - Trans-Canal - 12/2002
SUMMIT - Alaska Repo Cruise - 5/2003
INFINITY - Trans-Canal - 12/2003
SUMMIT - Alaska Repo Cruise - 5/2004

And next:

MILLIE (finally!)- 5/15/2005 back to the beautiful MEDITERRANEAN!

**No clock - too much trouble - but I'LL KNOW EXACTLY WHEN MILLIE LEAVES FOR THE MEDITERRANEAN**
(5/15/05!!)

I've also done both and they are apples and oranges...Panama Canal cruises stop at many islands and/or Mexico so it's a very beach/water type holiday, usually with lots of sea days (not sure about the 10 day, we did a full transit, 14 days, 9 sea days)...Med cruises are much more port-intensive, cultural/historical stops. What are you in the mood for - a relaxing vacation or a sightseeing vacation?

Warmwinds hit the nail on the head:

If you book the Med.....better book a week's vacation immediately upon your return to the States.....you will need it. There are just so many wonderful possibilities to explore that one is constantly on the go (just don't want to miss one little thing - but then there's always the next trip...).

But IT'S ALLLLL GOOD!

Pooh Bear
=^-.-^=

(AKA/Sharon and Will)

REMBRANDT - Med. 9/1998: and so it begins!
LEGEND OF THE SEA - Med. 5/1999
SPLENDOR OF THE SEA - Med. 5/2000
INFINITY - Hawaii 4/2001
MILLIE -Med. - 5/2002 (X No Go)
RHAPSODY OF THE SEA - Mardi Gras - 2/2002
INFINITY - Trans-Canal - 12/2002
SUMMIT - Alaska Repo Cruise - 5/2003
INFINITY - Trans-Canal - 12/2003
SUMMIT - Alaska Repo Cruise - 5/2004

And next:

MILLIE (finally!)- 5/15/2005 back to the beautiful MEDITERRANEAN!

**No clock - too much trouble - but I'LL KNOW EXACTLY WHEN MILLIE LEAVES FOR THE MEDITERRANEAN**
(5/15/05!!)

We were on the Island Princess in April for a 10 day partial transit of the Panama Canal which is amazing to see the workings of. We are doing the Med on Millie this summer( have cruised Med before on Princess), europe is awe inspiring- you can not compared the two---Europe would win everytime. You also said that the prices for the two cruises where very similiar, we paid for a BA catergory on Princess and a 2a Catergory on Millie 1,200 more a person for Europe. Both with out airfare included. If you can get Europe for the same price as the Panama Canal go for it, or you maybe getting a price that is way too high for the Canal cruise.

norm

I just returned from 7 days cruise on Splendour of the seas.

If you go to Europe and want to see everything(well everything that time allows) be prepared to spend at least $1000+ more per person on tours.

I agree with above poster you will need another vacation after this one!

------------------------------
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>Zuiderdam 8/21/04 FLL - Key West - Cozumel - Grand Caymans - Half Moon Cay - FLL
<LI>Splendour of the Seas 05/15/04 Barcelona - Marseilles - Villefranche - Livorno - Chivitavecchia - Naples - Barcelona
<LI>Century 07/12/03 Eastern Caribbean FFL-San Juan - St. Thomas - St.Maarten- Nassau -FFL
<LI>Komarno(Volga)07/91 Moscow - Astrahan' - Moscow (honeymoon)
<LI>Komarno(Volga)07/90 Moscow - Astrahan'- Moscow
<LI>Admiral Nachimov(or Nakhimov) (Black Sea)04/1986 Odessa - Batum [/list]

GO BRUINS!!!!

We did both,13 days in the Med.on the Millie. and 14 days out of Fort lauderdale thru the Pannama canal on the Infinity.We had 7 sea days out of 14 thru Pannama in the spring and i have to say that it was the most relaxing of the two cruises.The Med was more interesting.We only had 3 sea days,and everyday we had someplace to go and see.The days were long,10 hour tours at some places.If you go to Europe you have to take in all the history and scenery,you may not get another chance.The Pannama canal is something that has to be seen at least once in your lifetime.The Mexican Riviera was a beautiful area to visit and i would like to go back maybe from the west coast,but i'd rather go back to Europe again.There is just not enough time to see everything unless you stay there for a month and travel on land.

Thanks for all the replies. I would rather do the Med, but my friends that I'm cruising with want to stick with the Panama Canal, so it looks like I'm outvoted! I'm sure we'll have a great time either way. The prices were close, the difference might have been with the cabins. A family cabin on Galaxy and a mini suite on Princess. the difference per person (cruise only) was less than $100. We did get a $200 shipboard credit from Princess though.

Terri

Skyward - 1989
Carnivale - 1991
Holiday - 1994
Fantasy - 1998
Century - 2002
Century - 2003
Jubilee - 7/04
Century - 9/04
Coral Princess - 3/05
Valor - 10/05

Days til Valor Vampires Cruise
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2005;10;30;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
[img]http://www.bigotis.com/valorvampires.gif[/img]

You can call Celebrity or use your travel agent too see if Celebrity will match the $200 onboard credit that Princess offered.The cruise lines have deals that they don't advertise all they need is a little push.We've had somme success in the past doing this and ended up getting an upgrade instead at extra no charge.Try it,it can't hurt

We did not have a mini-suite, we had the BA catergory on Princess and paid 1325pp for our 10 day cruise thru the Panama Canal, would hve upgrade to a mini (upgrade on Princess if you book tthis early is only $99.) vs a lower catergory 2A on the med is 2550 pp. Are you doing a full transit, if you are doing only a partial transit the difference should be greater than the 100?? W did the cruise in April and the med is pending in Aug.

norm

Archived