Loved the RCL Mariner... Will we like NCL Jewell?

kendallison

Just off the RCL Mariner and had a fabulous time. We did the Western Caribbean and had a balcony cabin. Travelled with 2 kids (6 and 9) who did enjoy the kids club but I wouldn't say it was their most favorite part about the whole trip.

So... now we are looking to do an Eastern Caribbean in 2007. Would we love the NCl Jewell as much as the Mariner? Is food and service as good? The things we like about the Jewell so far is it has 4 stops in its Eastern route where the Mariner only has 3. We also like the fact that we wouldn't have to get all dressed up for dinner... we prefer to be comfy and pack lighter.

any advice welcome!

Thanks!

Susan

My wife and I were first time cruisers and loved the Jewel on the Eastern route.

Freestyle cruising was definately for us. The formal night is optional, just make sure everyone has slacks (or skirts -- no jeans) and a collared shirt for the guys -- you need that to eat your evening meal in any of the restaurants (except the buffet).

Make your restaurant reservations early. The menues are available at the front desk (right hand side of the desk is the dining section)

Our only regret about the itinerary was that we wanted a bit more time in San Juan and St. Thomas.

The ship itself is clean and spacious. The crew was friendly and helpful.

You should probably read over some of the threads on this message board to get an idea of what life is like on board.

Please don't be put off by any of the reviews in the members area. Most of the reviews that were not good seemed to come from folks who were more used to the "pampering" of cruise lines like Celebrity, etc.

Also, I found it helpful to keep in mind what accomodations the reviewer had onboard. We stayed in a cabin on deck 4, so reviews that panned the butler service in the owners suite really wouldn't impact us.

Hi Susan,

I don't know of any cruise line that allows shorts in the dining room. I'm sure you could wear them at the buffets at night, but certainly not in any of the regular restaurants (free or surcharge). The most casual for men would be dockers, cargo pants, etc. For Ladies, nice capris, sundresses, gauze skirts, etc.

You of course always have the option to dine in your stateroom, but unless you have a suite, it might be too close for quarters, especially with the kids.

I hope this helps...and have fun on whatever ship you decide on...but I don't think you could possibly go wrong with choosing the Jewel.

Michele :)

Archived