Yes, it's gross but i'm wondering for two different reasons....

MsSoCalCruiser

OMG, I have lived with this for 40 years and no one, not even my doctor could explain it. 40 yrs ago, another doctor said that it was allergic reaction and forced me to look back at my diet for 2 days rather than just one) THat's how I related it to shellfish. I just looked up FPIES and I think you hit it right on the head. My doctor swears I am not allergic, yet I KNOW that taking an allergy pill will avoid a reaction.

Last summer on the Royal, I actually ate a rice dish with shrimp. I ran back to the room, forced myself to throw up (disgusting) continued my allergy meds, and waited 48 hours. BIngo. No reaction. If I hadn't been on allergy meds, I would have been so ill and perhaps require hospitalization. I should fire my allergist. (but he's really old, and has done right by me otherwise).

I can't thank you enough for putting some sort of name to my bizarre condition. :)

Wow! You're welcome! Go easy on your doctor because this actually is a rare condition so maybe he does not know. Ask him to look up FPIES.

I'm surprised there's any medication that will help you. Also, there is no skin testing that you will show positive on and an EpiPen will not help. With me the doctor said nothing will help I just have to get it out of my system and that usually takes 6 to 10 hours of me being violently ill. My reaction is to Heavy cream, half-and-half and whipped cream but for safety sake I am now saying that I'm allergic to all dairy except for butter. In the letter that I sent to princess I did tell them that cookies, cake and brownies were OK. Ha ha.

Cruise insurance only comes into play after your primary care insurance. What ever your primary cars insurance DOESN'T cover, your cruise insurance should cover.

I had this experience two years ago and it's a real pain. However, after speaking with my primary (medicare), and secondary (blue cross), blue cross covered the entire bill, $1,290.00, the cruise insurance was not involved for me. However, I would never sail without the cruise insurance just in case

Not entirely true. I realize that the Princess travel coverage is a secondary policy but there are travel policies out there that pay as "primary" and these are the policies that we always purchase when we cruise. On our last cruise DH had to visit the medical center (I think the charge was in the area of $150) and we simply filed a claim with our travel insurance carrier. No need to go through Medicare or our Supplement.

By having a letter sent describing your ailment, haven't you documented a "pre-existing condition" that will impact your trip insurance in this case?

Having a medical condition and seeking medical treatment prior to purchasing insurance gives you a “pre-existing condition“. Talking about it will hopefully prevent it happening to me again.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Having a medical condition and seeking medical treatment prior to purchasing insurance gives you a “pre-existing condition“. Talking about it will hopefully prevent it happening to me again.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If the condition is under treatment and stable I think that usually avoids PEC, also purchasing within a certain window of initial payment usually gets you a PEC waiver. If you have a potential PEC it's worth reading the fine print and selecting your policy with that in mind.