Megan's or coki that is the question

travelmama06

We are going to be arriving at st Thomas in about 10 days

Which beach would you suggest?

Is one closer to the port?

Is one in better condition FOLLOWING hurricanes?

Does one of them offer more amenities?

Do either of them have snorkel and paddle board rental?

Which one has more to see on the way to get there?

Not sure if these are realistic questions in the event of the hurricanes ?

Also how can a person be sure their taxi will come back to pick up at a certain time - do you pay return fare ??

Thanks for advice

We are going to be arriving at st Thomas in about 10 days

Which beach would you suggest? My personal preference is Megans. Less of a "party" atmosphere. Both have post hurricane amenities open.

Is one closer to the port? About the same, Megans Bay is a few minutes closer

Is one in better condition FOLLOWING hurricanes? Same

Does one of them offer more amenities? Both have food/drinks/rest rooms/water sport rental equipment available. Coki is next to Coral World, which is worth a visit.

Do either of them have snorkel and paddle board rental? Yes, both

Which one has more to see on the way to get there? If you go to Megans, ask the driver to go a few minutes out of the way to Drakes Seat. It's an overlook to Megans and worth the detour. You can also ask them to stop at Udder Delight on the way in and get an amazing milk shake. My favorite is Jomoco. I stop, get one and enjoy it at the beach.

Not sure if these are realistic questions in the event of the hurricanes ? Great questions. Tourism is the lifeblood of STT, There is a concerted effort to get the beaches up to par, although the trees aren't going to be back for a bit, it's still spectacular.

Also how can a person be sure their taxi will come back to pick up at a certain time - do you pay return fare ?? No way, taxi's usually hang out at Megan's to take cruise passengers back to the dock. Make arrangements with the driver to pick you up at a certain time, and if he doesn't show up, catch one of the ones waiting. Be aware that taxi's are per person, not per destination. Also, be sure to look at the fare board as you get off the ship. Most of the drivers are legit, but there are a few gypsies to beware of.

Thanks for advice

You're welcome, enjoy your visit. Edited by idlewood4
Add information about taxi

There are a few posts here on CC, from cruisers who have visited both beaches post hurricane. The main item reported is that Megan's Bay is devoid of all foliage, no leaves, no shade, all the trees and shrubs are bare.

While Coki is further from the port than Megan's it fared somewhat better due to its normal wider stretch of sand. Snorkeling in Megan's is futile, while you might see some barracuda, rays, and lots of small sergeant majors and such at Coki.

I'll be going to St Thomas in a few weeks, and I have low expectations for seeing any beach in a "normal" pre-hurricane condition. I'll probably just do some shopping in town, but if we decide to beach/snorkel, we'll head to Secret Harbor.