Is La Bombonera OSJ open on SUNDAYS??

laceyjane

We are staying 2 nights pre-cruise at Marriott San Juan Resort. We will be flying into San Juan on Sat., March 11, late afternoon. We will be boarding the Empress of the Seas hopefully around noon on Monday, March 13.

We are really hoping to spend Sunday, March 12, touring Old San Juan in the morning and afternoon. We were hoping to have breakfast or lunch at La Bombonera in Old San Juan. I read that on Sundays most shops etc. are closed in Old San Juan. Is this true? Is La Bombonera open on Sundays? Is it worth going to Old San Juan on Sunday, March 12 if most things are closed?

We stayed 2 nights at El Convento 11/24 & 11/25 before 11/26 Serenade sailing.

DO NOT MISS LA BOMBONERA..... open everyday 7:30 a.m. - 8:30 p.m.

We went for breakfast on a Sat. - there were 2 couples (us and best friends) and we each got a few different pastries (see front window when you get there !!!) and tasted each others....yum. Also order a mallorca with ham and cheese. Wish I could have brought a suitcase of them home with me !!!

You will love San Juan....best advice "Wear tennis shoes and just walk all over the place" We had more fun doing that. Cathedral is nice, El Morro is magnificent and just the ambience and architecture etc. has an amazing sense of history and presence. I cant wait to go back and visit again.

Also went to salsa club " Rumba Night Club" 152 Calle San Sebastian and had a blast.... lots of locals dancing true salsa to a loud 7 piece salsa band. No cover but drinks a little high priced (but strong)

Didnt really buy much shopping - not that I didnt see stuff I wanted. One santos (carved wooden saint) was quoted $180.00 dollars :eek: DH got a good deal on cigars at Don Collins on Calle Cristo near El Convento.

Anyway have a great trip.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back - La Bombanera was open Sunday (X-mas day), but most shops were closed. Had a few pastries which were very good. I'd recommend seeing OSJ on a different day when more shops (and El Morro) are open. I don't know if they were closed because of x-mas or just Sunday. Sunday might be a good day to hit the beach instead.

If you have to take a cab to OSJ on Sunday, I don't think Bombanera is worth the $12 cab fare each way just for a pastry or two!

Archived