What would you do?....need help quick!

petlover

Just when I thought everything was worked out with our guide for Iguazu Falls I received an email saying:

HOW TO FINALIZE YOUR PURCHASE:

You may purchase your travel reservations by requesting us the following documents. Please note that the signature on the CCAF must be of the credit card holder being used for the payment.

Discover Brazil Credit Card Authorization Form (print out).

One copy of your Credit Card front side, one copy of your Credit Card back side.

One copy of your passport showing your information including picture and passport number.

With these documents properly filled and signed, you fax us and we will proceed with the payment. The next step is to send you the final confirmation and voucher for your trip

With all the identity theft scares, I just don't feel comfortable with this. When I questioned them they said it is for OUR OWN protection!! (don't understand that either?) The company does seem reputable and has even contacted me by telephone.

http://www.discoverbrazil.com/aboutdiscoverbrazil.cfm

I suggested that I pay through a secure website such as paypal.com or such. They indicated that this wasn't possible as they do things one way only. Have any of you had to pay in full ahead of time in such a way? Am I being paranoid?

HELP.........What would you do?? (I've run out of tour companies since we have such limitations). I'm on the verge of just going to the falls and doing our own thing with no guide.

That's too scary - I was working with a group for a post cruise tour in Valpariso that wanted the same thing - not for me - I went with a group that took cc cards and have my hotel vouchers today.

As for the BA - Iguazu - BA we went with Defrantur, he is OK but only accepts bank transfers, moneygram, western union. So far, I have been doing moneygram - but, you can only do $899 per transaction and if you are new to their system you have a one week waiting period before you can do a second transaction. I talked with Defrantur and they are working with me on the problem. I guess it would be cheaper to fly down there with the money and fly back???

Ron

We had checked with Defrantur and quite a few other companies. The problem was many companies wanted us to book air and hotel through them (we already have that booked and paid for) or they wanted a full day or two. This was the only company I found that provided airport transportation back and forth and a 5 hour guide. $70 per person seemed reasonable too.

If you really are confident that this is a legitimate company, you probably are OK. I did this for our tour in Puerto Montt who required this too (I did not fax it though...I scanned them and sent them as a jpg e-mail attachment...saved the cost of an international fax (phone call) charge. They did not actually charge my credit card until the day of the trip...we went by their office on the tour and they ran my card.

I think they do this primarily to guard against no-show tourists who stiff them on their tour reservations. I guess it is up to you if you want to risk it or not.

Personally, I would not do it. If the cost is $70 pp - that's not so much to risk, but the personal information is worrisome. We are touring with a company that asked for passport numbers for each person in the group - not a copy of the passports. We provided the numbers. When they asked for a bank draft (costly and inconvenient) I balked and told them we had booked many private tours, all over Europe and never had to pay in advance. If the ship arrives in port, we'd certainly be there and they had no reason to worry about a "no show". They agreed and no pre-payment was required.

A taxi to/from the airport and maybe finding a guide to hire on site might be preferable.

Petlover,

Sending copies of front and back of CC and passport is very common in certain areas of the world. I just spent a month in Asia and had to fax CC and passport info to 17 different vendors. Was I worried?-yes, somewhat. No problems whatsoever.

First, if you really feel insecure. check to find out if the company will take a cashiers check from a national bank-Chase, B of A, etc. Make sure it is the proper currency-will they accept US dollars or do they want Brazilian? A money order from 7-11 will not work. South American banks may not process or may hold for clearance.

If not, I would not hesitate to send the information. Just watch your cc bill. And DO NOT scan and email as someone did. That is a VERY unsecure way to send the information. IF someone hacked your computer, the info is STILL there-even after you delete, unless you sent it encrypted OR have a big-time computer cleaning program. Not likely for the average American on their home PC.

The reason they do this-lots of overseas banks will NOT charge a credit card without a copy of front and back of the card. This truly is for YOUR protection. No one else can just make a phone call and charge trips, hotels, airfare, etc., WITHOUT a copy of the card.

I travel to South America at least 4 times per year for business. I really would not worry about this too much. Especially if you have determined that this is a reputable company.

Thanks all!

Greatam, I found out that you seem to be correct on this one. I emailed and heard back from a very reputable TA that several of my friends have used in SA. She confirmed that for smaller companies in SA this is how they do business, not with sophisticated secure pay sites as we are used to here in the USA. She also looked into and confirmed that they are members of reputable travel affiliations in good standing. I feel a lot more at ease now. As much as I hate to pay ahead of time, I do understand that there are "flakes" who might be no shows etc. so this is how they've chosen to do biz. Kind of like when in Rome............

Thanks guys!! Hopefully I will not be bugging you anymore about this side trip to Iguazu Falls!

Thanks all!

Greatam, I found out that you seem to be correct on this one. I emailed and heard back from a very reputable TA that several of my friends have used in SA. She confirmed that for smaller companies in SA this is how they do business, not with sophisticated secure pay sites as we are used to here in the USA. She also looked into and confirmed that they are members of reputable travel affiliations in good standing. I feel a lot more at ease now. As much as I hate to pay ahead of time, I do understand that there are "flakes" who might be no shows etc. so this is how they've chosen to do biz. Kind of like when in Rome............

Thanks guys!! Hopefully I will not be bugging you anymore about this side trip to Iguazu Falls!

Petlover,

Did you doubt what I told you???

Procedures for pre payment in South America have NOTHING to do with "flakes". They truly have to do with the banking system. Banks in a lot of the world will NOT allow credit card charges to be processed without PROOF that the card really belongs to the person who is requesting the charge. And usually a signed authorization from the user. Most of the places in South America don't even bill until you arrive or just prior to your arrival. As I stated, I travel to South America on business frequently enough to not put me in the leisure traveler category. Anything that I want to book in advance (like a hotel not part of an American chain), I always have to send copy of credit card and sometimes passport info.

PLEASE be careful in Rio. It truly can be a VERY dangerous city. Enjoy your cruise!!!!

Archived