Ocho Rios - No Falls Excursion Suggestions

RedheadsRFun

We're cruising on Carnival in May with our 10 year old twins. We're not interested in climbing the falls with 10,000 other people. We like things off the beaten path a little, authentic Jamaica, as much as we can while still being safe! A little bit of nature, a little bit of fun. Looking for suggestions for private tours, or group tours not booked through the cruiseline. I love a deal, so cost is an issue. One must-have is good jerk chicken. TIA

We used Liberty Tours and went to Blue Hole and Scotches for jerk chicken. Our tour was out of Falmouth, so the drive was super long. They have other tours that do more than just two stops. Our guide was wonderful and talked to us during the entire drive. We stopped at a photo spot and he pointed out important things as we drove past. While Blue Hole is touristy, it isn't super packed. I don't recommend climbing through the cave, under the waterfall, if you aren't skinny. I think the kids were the only ones that didn't feel like they were stuck.

We used Liberty Tours and went to Blue Hole and Scotches for jerk chicken. Our tour was out of Falmouth, so the drive was super long. They have other tours that do more than just two stops. Our guide was wonderful and talked to us during the entire drive. We stopped at a photo spot and he pointed out important things as we drove past. While Blue Hole is touristy, it isn't super packed. I don't recommend climbing through the cave, under the waterfall, if you aren't skinny. I think the kids were the only ones that didn't feel like they were stuck.

Great info. Thank you.

We're headed there in February, Turtle River Falls looks great for kids and Konoko Falls is another. They are both $20 for adults and $10 for children. I think it's about 5 minutes from the ship. We are using Courtney Taylor tours. Very reasonable to do a countryside tour,shopping and eating.

Another vote for Blue Hole/Scotchie's with Liberty. We booked from Montego Bay, so it was even further than Falmouth. As was stated, there are tourists, but because the drive up there is pretty rough, the big tour buses just can't get there. A 15 passenger van may be the biggest vehicle that can make the trip. As a result, the crowd is much smaller. Even with multiple other tour groups there, we felt we had plenty of space. Ate at Scotchie's in Drax Hall(not sure on that name, but roll with it). If you are coming from Ocho Rios, you will eliminate the worst part of the trip -- the drive.

We're headed there in February, Turtle River Falls looks great for kids and Konoko Falls is another. They are both $20 for adults and $10 for children. I think it's about 5 minutes from the ship. We are using Courtney Taylor tours. Very reasonable to do a countryside tour,shopping and eating.

Thank you let me know how you liked them. I ended up booking a private tour so we are flexible

Another vote for Blue Hole/Scotchie's with Liberty. We booked from Montego Bay, so it was even further than Falmouth. As was stated, there are tourists, but because the drive up there is pretty rough, the big tour buses just can't get there. A 15 passenger van may be the biggest vehicle that can make the trip. As a result, the crowd is much smaller. Even with multiple other tour groups there, we felt we had plenty of space. Ate at Scotchie's in Drax Hall(not sure on that name, but roll with it). If you are coming from Ocho Rios, you will eliminate the worst part of the trip -- the drive.

Thank you. We ended up booking a private tour and blue hole is definitely on my list of things to do. My kids are stronger swimmers than I am, but how good of a swimmer do you have to be and how much am I going to freak out? Lol. Meaning how close can they come to hitting rocks when they jump in?

Thank you. We ended up booking a private tour and blue hole is definitely on my list of things to do. My kids are stronger swimmers than I am, but how good of a swimmer do you have to be and how much am I going to freak out? Lol. Meaning how close can they come to hitting rocks when they jump in?

If I may ask, who are you using for the tour?

And, from the perspective of jumping off the falls, it doesn't seem that close to hitting rocks. Visitors climb down the falls a bit before jumping, so it's not as far. I don't think the let visitors jump from the higher locations, where the guides will jump from.

My wife is not a strong swimmer at all and had no problems with the swimming part.

If I may ask, who are you using for the tour?

And, from the perspective of jumping off the falls, it doesn't seem that close to hitting rocks. Visitors climb down the falls a bit before jumping, so it's not as far. I don't think the let visitors jump from the higher locations, where the guides will jump from.

My wife is not a strong swimmer at all and had no problems with the swimming part.

That's good to hear! Thank you

We're using Know Jamaica tours

I am looking for a new Jamaica tour this time around, but last year we booked Turtle Falls Gardens & Aviary through Shore Excursions Group. It was THE BEST TOUR. No one else booked, so it was private. Our driver took us there, we had a private tour guide, saw about 10 mini waterfalls on a nice path, held birds, tried plants, etc. Then our driver took us to Scotchies for lunch before taking us back to port. That wasn't even part of the deal - he was just so nice and did that. I mean, I guess he was hungry too, but it was nice nonetheless. We had the best day. Now I need to find something to top that!