(Slightly less so) Cheapo dad's trip report on Independence of the Seas

Next stop is at the sands area to look at more hole in the wall (literally).

enhance

Sometimes the trucks do stuck in the sand and the tour guides have shovels in the trucks ready to dig themselves out like this guy

enhance

Here is the view from above

enhance

Here is the up close, hole in the (rock) wall...

enhance

enhance

Enough rock pictures? OK, last set. I have many more but you get the idea. So if you are in Utah/Arizoan area, be sure to visit this place. It has a strong WOW factor and next time you watch a western movie, you might recognize the rock background

enhance

enhance

Road leading to/away from the area

enhance

enhance

enhance

Harry, those photos are INCREDIBLE. They literally look like they were taken out of a movie. We've been wanting to go out to Utah/Arizona forever but is a long way from South FL and we often don't want to have to fly/rent a car so we do many trips to the Smoky Mtns. and such. But we'll definitely be doing the western trip in the near future. Now we at least have reference points on where to go. Have you been to Yosemite?

Great Rock pictures! Love Monument Valley. Years back we camped overnight with our Boy Scout troop on the way to Philmont (Boy Scout Camp on very large working ranch). At night in Monument Valley, there is a unique peace that surrounds you....sort of a magical feeling.

And yes....what about that eye??? Kind of concerned that you might have scratched your cornea. Of course it will heal, but really makes you uncomfortable until it does heal.

Harry, those photos are INCREDIBLE. They literally look like they were taken out of a movie. We've been wanting to go out to Utah/Arizona forever but is a long way from South FL and we often don't want to have to fly/rent a car so we do many trips to the Smoky Mtns. and such. But we'll definitely be doing the western trip in the near future. Now we at least have reference points on where to go. Have you been to Yosemite?

Yeah, we went to Yosemite many years ago. Before days of digital cameras so can't share those pictures.

I understand it's a lot of work to fly to western part of the country for a vacation, but if you do go, don't miss Monument Valley as it's special.

Here is a link to what movies were shot at the area. Forgotten that Forrest Gump was shot at the same road I posted earlier:

https://indiancountrymedianetwork.com/culture/arts-entertainment/12-movies-shot-in-monument-valley-on-the-navajo-nation/

Harry if you're going to take rock intermissions you're going to have to just tell us what happened with your eye ;)

Hehe, we have some impatient folks on this trip report.

Well, eventually the grain of sand fell off but it took awhile. Thanks for the concern and luckily no eye infection.

Great Rock pictures! Love Monument Valley. Years back we camped overnight with our Boy Scout troop on the way to Philmont (Boy Scout Camp on very large working ranch). At night in Monument Valley, there is a unique peace that surrounds you....sort of a magical feeling.

And yes....what about that eye??? Kind of concerned that you might have scratched your cornea. Of course it will heal, but really makes you uncomfortable until it does heal.

They have special spiritual MV tours as the natives consider parts of the area to have special magical powers. Great that you were able to stay there.

The grain of sand eventually fell off but it didn't fall off yet if you follow the story line so I will get to that part later on. Maybe I am feeling after math of that as every now and then I feel somewhat sensitive on that side of the eye. Need to look at it next time my have my annual eye exam.

Will have more rock pictures later on when I get to the Arches National Park. That's where my Avatar picture was taken so you know I will have a story to tell on that.

(OK, back to the story line for the people who actually tuned in to read about a Caribbean cruise...)

So we made it to the Batik. I already provided the link on how they do the art work but first we have to somehow get to the front gate. There was some problem with the various taxis in line to park at the Batik so the weatherman dropped us off at the bottom of the hill and had us walk across some path to get there. So we took the scenic route...

enhance

enhance

Am I reading this right? Does it say Fat Fat Nation? Is that an "F"?

enhance

So we were dropped off right here (Weather man is in the blue van behind us) as he told us to walk down a path

enhance

Over a small bridge, past the toilets...

enhance

Then down the hill after passing the toilets

enhance

Then pass some dirt path

enhance

Then walk onto incoming traffic crossing a narrow bridge, trying not to be run over by the vans

enhance

Good thing we didn't get smacked by the vans going by.

Man, where is this place? It's like our mini version of scavenger hunt...

enhance

Down the path we go, following the couple ahead of us. Not as if they know where they are going. Classic case of blind leading the blinder...

enhance

yes, smart to let the van go by first

enhance

But does any Texas sailing come this far to the Eastern Caribbean? I thought most of the Texas sailing are on the western route?

Carnival does Key West and that’s as far as any of them go! They would have to do longer sailing for that, which would also be welcome here.

Now I'm feeling bad for picking on the guy when he was nice to make a comment on my trip report. Not trying to be a bad person but sometimes we need to have the right trade off between saving money and being uncomfortable.

I know it must be expensive to have wedding and honeymoon. But don't go to extreme just trying to some money. Airport food can't be that cheap so if you ate there for 2 or 3 meals, that's extra expenses you could use to book a room. Anyway, moving on.

I’m with you Harry. My husband would never live down making me stay in an airport for 20 hours. I’d assume drive home from Florida to Pittsburgh first. He would owe me for eternity. And I’m all for being frugal.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm glad no one in your group had mobility issues! They would have never been able to walk all that to the Caribelle Batik. Doesn't look like many benches or places to stop & rest either. Perhaps stick out a thumb and hitch a ride on one of those vans passing you. ;-)

Some nice coastal views off to the right in some of those though.

My mother looks physically fine but has many health issues that you wouldn't realize by looking at her. Thus, she cannot walk distances, up inclines or up more than a couple stairs. So, I try to be observant ahead of time to assess if she is able to participate in an activity or not. In this instance, obviously she would have had to stay on the bus.

From the look at the pictures of the Brimstone Hill fortress on St. Kitts, should maybe restricted to the bus there as well. If you noticed: Was there any videos, exhibits, or even shaded/inside place to sit at the Brimstone Hill fortress?

Thanks and still continuing to enjoy all of your posts!

Enjoyed tonight's side trip, while visiting the West Cast several times I have never visited that part of the country.

Hi, Jim,

The area is very remote out in the Navajo Nation Reservation area. It’s 400 miles from Las Vegas or Salt Lake City or 300+ miles from Phoenix.

So it’s not a simple “just off the freeway” visit. To get there, you must really want to go there as part of the road trip. It’s not a “Oh, by the way, let’s drop by real fast and take a look and get back on the freeway visit” destination.

Fortunate part is that it’s not too far from Arches and Canyon land national park so you can package all 3 together. Or package this with the Antelope Canyon I showed awhile back. Or do all of them like we did, but then we gave up Bryce and Zion, which we will do this summer.

Carnival does Key West and that’s as far as any of them go! They would have to do longer sailing for that, which would also be welcome here.

I believe more ships are going to St. Kitts now as they are welcoming more cruise ship business. In the old days, it was always St. Thomas and St. Maarten as the two big default eastern Caribbean ports. Now it looks like St. Kitts is becoming a main stop for many eastern Caribbean routes for ships sailing from FL.

The rock photos are just breathtaking. I hope all these amazing natural wonders are allowed to stay as they are.

Yes, hopefully they remain unchanged as they are on the Navajo nation reservation and things are not as commercialized in the area as compared to the other US national park’s surrounding cities.

As you can see from the Hollywood movie link I provided last night, the movie industry loves the area with 12 movies made there. The whole area just screams “wild wild west”. They would be wise to keep it as is.

Just to get into the valley, they charge $20 per car for 4 people and $10/pp after that. So it’s not free just getting to the platform area at the hotel to see the from above, on top of the tour to take you down there to see the place up close.

I’m with you Harry. My husband would never live down making me stay in an airport for 20 hours. I’d assume drive home from Florida to Pittsburgh first. He would owe me for eternity. And I’m all for being frugal.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I feel bad to be picking on him. It’s their honeymoon and I need to butt out on what they do.

As long as they are happy with their decision, we need to stay out. Now if she comes out and complains about him, then we will tar and feather him…

I'm glad no one in your group had mobility issues! They would have never been able to walk all that to the Caribelle Batik. Doesn't look like many benches or places to stop & rest either. Perhaps stick out a thumb and hitch a ride on one of those vans passing you. ;-)

Some nice coastal views off to the right in some of those though.

My mother looks physically fine but has many health issues that you wouldn't realize by looking at her. Thus, she cannot walk distances, up inclines or up more than a couple stairs. So, I try to be observant ahead of time to assess if she is able to participate in an activity or not. In this instance, obviously she would have had to stay on the bus.

From the look at the pictures of the Brimstone Hill fortress on St. Kitts, should maybe restricted to the bus there as well. If you noticed: Was there any videos, exhibits, or even shaded/inside place to sit at the Brimstone Hill fortress?

Thanks and still continuing to enjoy all of your posts!

You know, to this date, I never really understood why we needed to get out and walk that stretch of the road. I know there was a big bottle neck of taxis/vans trying to get into the parking area and people were trying ot get in and out and the drivers were yelling at each other and honkig their horns.

After awhile, weather man suggested we walk out and he will meet us on the other end. So I assume if anyone with mobility issues, they can stay by the van and just walk the last part on their own.

You should definitely contact the tour operator to explain your mom’s situation and see what they say if you plan to go.

As for the fortress, I believe there is only one way up and down the steep stairs I showed earlier. Once you get there, you can stay at the lower level and they have shaded rooms and I think a gift shop down there. I was too busy upstairs taking pictures of the canon and the ocean front to go downstairs but I think others in our party said there are rooms there that displays what the living conditions are for the soldiers. So If you want shady area, try the lower level.

This picture is from the wife's camera that shows areas on the lower part with shades

enhance

(OK, continuing the journey at the Batik)

Just follow the van up the road. Is this how Dorothy goes to see the Wizard?

enhance

Hey, we finally made it

enhance

Entrance fee is included as part of the tour

enhance

enhance

So here we are, with the weatherman all parked and waiting for us and lead us into the garden area

enhance