(Slightly less so) Cheapo dad's trip report on Independence of the Seas

Met up with the tour people by the arch and in no time, our driver showed up and we all piled into his van/bus. At St. Maarten, we got the “Mailman” as tour guide. Here at St. Kitts, we got the “Weather man”.

Cool. That works for me. If I ever become a tour driver, I will be known as “Cheapo Man” and tell all the tourists where to buy cheap stuff…

There were only 10 of us in the tour. It was our family of 8 and another couple. So it was almost like a private tour.

Weather man explaining to us what we will be seeing on today's tour. Is it me or the island looks like a chicken/turkey leg?

enhance

Clock tour

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

No chocolates on NCL or MSC. But, MSC did provide really nice little chocolate squares at the coffee bar. They were so good we visited the uncle in prison to see if we could buy some to take home. They don't sell them, but when we mentioned this to the servers at the coffee bar they gave us extra and so we did take some home. :D

I'd take your "Cheapo Man" tour. :)

Heather

enhance

This picture reminds me of a thought I had on my last cruise...does anyone sit in the furniture on the pier by the ship? I don't think I've ever seen anyone sitting. If I'm that close to the ship, I'm getting on, not sitting on the pier. Maybe people use it as a meeting place??

This picture reminds me of a thought I had on my last cruise...does anyone sit in the furniture on the pier by the ship? I don't think I've ever seen anyone sitting. If I'm that close to the ship, I'm getting on, not sitting on the pier. Maybe people use it as a meeting place??

I think if someone has mobility issues, this would be nice little rest break before going back to the cabin. It's a decent hike coming back from the tours as they always have the taxi/van drop off way over at the other end of the cruise terminal and they force you to walk back the long way home by going through the shops.

Especially at those super long piers like Costa Maya where it's almost a different zip code between the ship and the cruise terminal, by time you walk back, you can use a break.

enhance

enhance

They also have liquid refreshment set up at the rest area so I guess people can get something to drink and rest up.

We started with a tour of the capitol city. The weatherman showed us few things. He said he used to be a prison superintendent also he drove us past the local prison. Interesting…

According to Thenford’s web site, the “Grand Tour” is supposed to visit the shops at downtown area but we never stopped. So we missed out on the chance to see the uncle in prison that morning. I should comment on that on the Trip Advisor review.

This guy waving is supposed to be the current superintendent as he is waving to the Weatherman

enhance

Police station next to the jail

enhance

As we drove, the Weatherman told us info about the island. I didn’t realize St. Kitts has really close ties with Taiwan over at other side of Asia. Seems Taiwan has invested a lot of money in the island and help with the infra structure. There are Chinese grocery stores on the island and many condos on sale on the fancy side of the town were in Chinese bill board ads. Very interesting how modern day global economy forms the most unlikely of partners half a world away.

enhance

enhance

enhance

Celebrity ship next to the Indy on the other side

enhance

Give you couple guesses who would take a picture with some trees/leaves on the side?

enhance

enhance

These pictures were taken from this stop off to the side

enhance

enhance

After the hurricanes last year, some of the medical schools' facilities were damaged and the students are relocated to the ship here offshore and with all the cruise ships in port today, they had to move this ship out to the harbor during the day and bring her back at night time after the cruise ships are gone

enhance

enhance

Sucks if you forgot a book you needed for class that day ��

Yeah, I don't know how they handle the whole logistics having to deal with the ship. Weatherman says they can only handle at max 4 ships per day so they have to juggle few things. Supposedly Carnival cruise is not happy with the local port people over access to ports on some days.

The Celebrity Equinox is docked next to us. Their towel system looks nicer in wrapping things up in a swirl fashion. I will point out another difference between the two when we come back later in the afternoon.

enhance

Ahhh, Celebrity! They do things just a *touch* nicer than RCCL. You know you can just grab a beach towel- no need to sign them in or out. They also usually have ice water/lemonade/ice tea waiting for guests at the pier after a hot port day. I've seen people using those little lounge areas before, but we never have.

Harry, since your boys are older and don't seem to do much of the kids/arcade/rock wall/teen club scene, you guys should check out Celebrity for your next cruise. Their MDR is good, slightly better than Royal, service overall is slightly better, but their Oceanview Cafe (their version of Windjammer), is EXCELLENT. Quite a big step up from Royal.

Little touches are nicer...yep, chocolates on pillows, free champagne on embarkation, no people visiting uncles in prison clogging up the atrium deck. Plus their Solstice class ships (Solstice, Silhouette, Equinox, etc) are GORGEOUS ships. Really lovely and relaxing atmosphere.

Often we've found their prices to be comparable to RCCL, if not even cheaper (if you're not looking at premium holiday times). They also have booking incentives that are great (our last cruise we paid $799/pp for a balcony cabin - that came with a drink package and free gratuities). Usually you can "pick two" free items from a menu of drink package, OBC, internet, or gratuities.

Booked at the right time, I think Celebrity offers the best value and nicest experience for your dollar!

Challenge accepted. I'll do just about anything to get pillow chocolates back. I will be on a ship in 6 days and I will see what I can learn. Maybe that's an unadvertised suite benefit...I can ask my room steward crazy questions and expect him/her to go find the answer. How much should I tip the steward if he/she comes back with an answer? :confused: Suite problems.

Thanks, Bob. A genie knows all, right?

Not a bad place to go to medical school as there are several in the Caribbean

enhance

So happy to be going on another tour with you. These last couple of ports have been really interesting with all the little factoids you pick up. Beautiful islands. And I like that the medical school edits their sign when it's damaged. Missing letters would really be upsetting for some of us. Too bad the bottom of the 'E' broke off. Otherwise, can't wait to see where the weatherman takes the cheapo man next!

And hey, thanks for the information that folks are throwing in about Celebrity and the other lines. They're worth a look.

Ahhh, Celebrity! They do things just a *touch* nicer than RCCL. You know you can just grab a beach towel- no need to sign them in or out. They also usually have ice water/lemonade/ice tea waiting for guests at the pier after a hot port day. I've seen people using those little lounge areas before, but we never have.

Harry, since your boys are older and don't seem to do much of the kids/arcade/rock wall/teen club scene, you guys should check out Celebrity for your next cruise. Their MDR is good, slightly better than Royal, service overall is slightly better, but their Oceanview Cafe (their version of Windjammer), is EXCELLENT. Quite a big step up from Royal.

Little touches are nicer...yep, chocolates on pillows, free champagne on embarkation, no people visiting uncles in prison clogging up the atrium deck. Plus their Solstice class ships (Solstice, Silhouette, Equinox, etc) are GORGEOUS ships. Really lovely and relaxing atmosphere.

Often we've found their prices to be comparable to RCCL, if not even cheaper (if you're not looking at premium holiday times). They also have booking incentives that are great (our last cruise we paid $799/pp for a balcony cabin - that came with a drink package and free gratuities). Usually you can "pick two" free items from a menu of drink package, OBC, internet, or gratuities.

Booked at the right time, I think Celebrity offers the best value and nicest experience for your dollar!

Thanks for the info on Celebrity. If you are viewing this on the PC and click on my signature, you will see that we have cruised twice on Celebrity but it's been awhile since we have last cruised. It's good to hear that they still have the welcome aboard drink. We had it on this Indy sailing as well (need to scroll all the way back to day 1 boarding) but that was probably special holiday thing.

Actually for last December, we were doubled booked for 2 cruises as I couldn't make up my mind on what to do. We had booked a Celebrity Silhouette for December 16 but had to cancel when my kids school change their holiday schedule. I have no doubt we will head there sooner or later after we have gone through couple more RCI ships as my kids want to see the newer technology being employed on the newer ships.

I like Celebrity. A tad sedated for what I like to do but as you said, they are a step above Royal. Just in case some people don't know, Celebrity and RCI are owned by same corporate parent. So in essence you can think of them like car companies where you have one brand and another brand is the more upscale version (Toyota/Lexus or Nissan/Infinity).

Now you have me going down memory lane. I need to go and check out my old Celebrity food pics.

So happy to be going on another tour with you. These last couple of ports have been really interesting with all the little factoids you pick up. Beautiful islands. And I like that the medical school edits their sign when it's damaged. Missing letters would really be upsetting for some of us. Too bad the bottom of the 'E' broke off. Otherwise, can't wait to see where the weatherman takes the cheapo man next!

And hey, thanks for the information that folks are throwing in about Celebrity and the other lines. They're worth a look.

This is the last port/tour from this cruise. I like island tours as you will gather a whole bunch of info about each place. I will be like Cliff from the TV show Cheers where I will just spew out bunch of useless info at various times.

One extra fact I didn't mention is that due to political instability, many folks from overseas are investing in St. Kitts. If you have $300K to invest in the island, they will grant you a St. Kitts citizenship. Such that if things get bad in the homeland, you can get a St. Kitts passport and leave to go there instead.

Love that you do the island tours and show us so many things that you don't see if you just pick a particular spot to go to for the day.

Harry, I think you are on to something with the "Cheapo Dad" tours! You might want to put that in your back pocket for retirement.

Please tell your adorable wife that I love her photos framed by trees or leaves. I have a very similar style and love the perspective. Don't get me wrong....I love your photos also, for your unique way of seeing the unusual in the ordinary. I thing the chandelier soup is my all time favorite! What an eye!! Brilliant!!

OK, going back down the old Celebrity memory lane from our Alaska cruise 10 years ago. Here are some food pics for back then. Will be interesting to see how much things have been cut back.

In the buffet area, they had the various types of things you can have your poached eggs on. The second one from the right has sign that said "steak poached eggs". Steak for breakfast at the buffet, really?

enhance

These are not Buffalo wings. They are frog legs for appetizers at the MDR

enhance

Pate

enhance

Oyster Rockfeller

enhance

The head waiter in the old days actually had to "work" and do something at night at the MDR. Fancy that. They made the specialty desserts in front of you.

enhance

enhance

Our first official stop is the Brimstone Hill Fortress. It’s a standard stop for a visit to St. Kitts. EVERYBODY stops here.

As with Antigua the day before, it’s a lovely view from the top. As we approach the area, you hear the history of the British and French fighting over the place for many years.

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance