Iceland and Norway

All our cruises have been to warmer climates but we are looking forward to a bit of adventure on Fire & Ice this July. However I do have a few questions, I'm sure someone will have the answers!

We expect to take jeans, t.shirts, micro fleeces and then waterproof coat for layering up - I take it this will be enough? I may take a big fleece to wear if it's not raining. We will also take waterproof shoes. Can anyone advise if we will need anything else? Also in the evening we expect to dress up as usual but what happens then? As it will be light we may want to sit out on deck - do people get changed into fleeces again? Seems a silly question but we would like to take everything we need

Our destinations are Reykyavik, Isafjord, Akureyri, Molde, Olden, Flaam, Heugeshund, Lerwick and Invergordon so very varied. Has anyone any tips for these places?

Thanks in advance

You are right that a shirt/fleece/waterproof layering system is the way to go .

Are you staying overnight in Reykjavik? If so I would get off the ship ASAP to walk around the City Centre in the evening and then use the next day to do a Golden Circle tour. We used a firm called IG tours who provided a small minibus and excellent guide.

For Flam I would suggest you buy your own tickets ( you can do this online before you go) for the return trip on the Flam Railway. My other tip for Flam is to get up and out on deck early with your camera.

Evenings are usually taken up with dinner and the theatre but we usually do a spin round the promenade deck after dinner. Some evenings you will need your fleece but not always.

Molde has a pleasant open air Museum .

Sent from my iPad using Forums

All our cruises have been to warmer climates but we are looking forward to a bit of adventure on Fire & Ice this July. However I do have a few questions, I'm sure someone will have the answers!

We expect to take jeans, t.shirts, micro fleeces and then waterproof coat for layering up - I take it this will be enough? I may take a big fleece to wear if it's not raining. We will also take waterproof shoes. Can anyone advise if we will need anything else? Also in the evening we expect to dress up as usual but what happens then? As it will be light we may want to sit out on deck - do people get changed into fleeces again? Seems a silly question but we would like to take everything we need

Our destinations are Reykyavik, Isafjord, Akureyri, Molde, Olden, Flaam, Heugeshund, Lerwick and Invergordon so very varied. Has anyone any tips for these places?

Thanks in advance

We did an Iceland cruise July/August 2017. I reckon you've got the clothing just about right, i.e. be prepared for every eventuality. Personally, I'd add a couple of hats one for bad weather and one for sunny weather. We had lots of sunshine and, as far as I member, only one day when it rained.

Must admit we didn't sit out much in the evenings as we tend to eat then go to a show. We did sit on our balcony on a couple of occasions, when facing the evening sun and out of the wind, but out on deck you'd probably need a fleece.

Our itinerary was different from yours as we went to the Faroes and Orkney, but the the Iceland ports were the same and we have been to Olden on another cruise.

In Olden we took a local shuttle bus to the Briksdal Glacier, in Reykyavik we pre-booked a private Golden Circle tour. Isafjordur is not the most interesting place we have ever visited, unfortunately we hadn't booked anything in advance so just walked around the town. Based on the comments of others the local trip to the bird island of Vigur would have been a better option. In Akureyri we booked the ship's Jewels of the North tour which (unusually) was cheaper than the private tours offered from the port.

If you need further details of any of the above don't hesitate to ask.

For Olden check out the Loen Skylift, a cable car to the top of a mountain a few miles from Olden. It opened last summer and there is a café/restaurant at the top plus walks and wonderful views.

It appears Marella don't offer an excursion but you a combined transport/skylift ticket from the booth ashore.

Thanks for all your advice, must admit I'm getting really excited. We only have 1 day in Rekyavik and have already decided on IG Tours Golden Circle so I'm pleased that you have also recommended them. What did you do about lunch? Were you able to use credit card? We really have no idea how much cash to take.

Isafjord - not sure what to do. The reviews are mixed - think we may just do a hike along the fjord

Akureyri - found a great taxi firm with excellent reviews but need 8 people to make it viable - the rollcall might get going nearer the time

Olden - definitely fancy the Loen Skylift

Molde - already done a few glaciers so my OH would like to see/travel the Atlantic Highway - I need to do more research

Thanks again

Any other tips would be most welcome

" What did you do about lunch? Were you able to use credit card? We really have no idea how much cash to take."

We didn't take any Icelandic currency, decided we'd use atms, if needed, but we found that credit cards were welcomed even for coffee, so we didn't use any local cash at all. Our lunch stop on the Golden Circle tour, along with hundreds of others, was at the Great Geysir. There are several restaurant/cafes there.

Oh dear, hope we aren't so unlucky. It does prove though that we should be prepared for all weather.

Yes, we have been bitterly cold in Akuyeri yet on another visit ( at the same time of the year) we were in shirts and shirt sleeves

Sent from my iPad using Forums