No refund yet from dolphin discovery

sdf89

On Nov 26, I was promised a refund on our Cozumel Dolphin discovery, within 1-2 weeks. Still no refund on my credit card this week. (ck online). We booked directly with them, and thankfully I kept email from them about refund.

My question, is for those of you who booked directly with DD and requested refund, how many of you received it and how long did it take?

I'm waiting also and out the fee for EIGHT people to do a dolphin swim...not a small amount of money. I was told 2-3 weeks and that was 3 weeks ago. Is there anyone who has actually received a refund from Dolphin Discovery, or are they scamming us all?

Has anyone else considered contacting authorities in Cozumel about Dolphin Discovery's failure to refund people (esp. when DD has had our money for almost a year, in my case)? Does anyone else suspect that they don't have the money to refund?

Has anyone else considered contacting authorities in Cozumel about Dolphin Discovery's failure to refund people (esp. when DD has had our money for almost a year, in my case)? Does anyone else suspect that they don't have the money to refund?

That would be my guess. Considering the damage, they might not have the money.

I just got off the phone with Mastercard. My email from DolphinDiscovery is dated Nov 19- Mastercard felt that was sufficient time for the credit to be posted. They are handling it now. I feel bad for these folks, but it is alot of money (3 adults). Call your credit cards.

I started a dispute with credit card company also. Never have before- this is a first with me. Have 2 royal swim/sealion swim and then just a royal swim booked. If it was just a single entity, I would feel sorry for them, but they've got these all over the Caribbean. I'm sure they have insurance coverage for this type situations.

When I started this thread, I also sent another email more firmly asking a response for their promise of a refund in November. This time, there has been no email reply (unusual compared to my past experience with dolphin discovery). I have avoided calling VISA as I didn't want to hurt their credit situation... But it looks like I shall have to...

My follow up:

I emailed Oscar yesterday and very firmly told him that I wanted a definite date as to when I would get my refund. I said if I got no response, or didn't get the refund by the promised date, I would be contacting legal authorities in Mexico and the US.

He did email me back today, and said 1) I would definitely not be getting a refund in the next two weeks (this is already 3 weeks after my initial request) and 2) he could not tell me when I would be getting a refund because they are overwhelmed with the number of cancellations and it's not possible to say when they will get to me. On several occasions he has mentioned things like 'I have to wait to hear from the bank.' He apologized and said I hoped I understood what they were dealing with.

As another poster said, Dolphin Discovery has locations all over the place. They are too big to be claiming that they can't handle the refunds. As far as I'm concerned, the money they charged me ten months ago for the booking should have been sitting in a holding account until I participated in their program. It clearly was not.

So if you haven't started the process with your credit card company, I wouldn't hold back. And I'm trying to figure out who to contact in Mexico/Cozumel. This is really not something they should be able to get away with.

• 2 weeks later...

Recap:

November 28: Dolphin discovery emailed me (thankfully I have kept records), and promised "full refund will be made to your credit card within 2-3 weeks".

December: I emailed about no refund. No response

Today: I spoke with Dolphin Discovery and they said they cannot tell me if or when I would get refund, that if I got one, if would be no sooner than 1 month. They said they had finished getting refunds out to everyone from December dates.

Also today: I spoke with credit card co. and they are starting dispute process. Because I have written assurance of credit (plus a name), they are confident of getting the money. They also said that despite all the disputes being filed, that dolphin discovery will not have any restrictions on using their credit card company due to the hurricane.

Checked my credit card online one more time, and finally the credit was there. Strange that dolphin discovery did not know that when we talked today. Sadly, it may have been my threat of legal action last week... Good luck to the rest of you waiting.

It was my understanding that once you file a dispute with Visa your card will be credited while they investigate. There is a time line you must meet for a dispute and I highly recommend you all file one. My card has an online form that easy to complete. I am not in your situation, just looking at what's going on in Cozumel as I plan our trip for Sept 2006. The pictures posted here of Channakkab are amazing. It's not even due to open until 2/2006 but it will not be the same. Good luck.

BonVoyage

Dawna

The last news I heard was that Chankanaab will re-open in February but the Dolphin Discovery attraction within it will not re-open fully until June - this was in a local paper in December and you can find a summary on my website under "Big investment in natural parks".

However, I would strongly urge everyone to think twice before rushing to swim with the dolphins again. There have also been many stories about the dubious and allegedly illegal origins of the dolphins in this part of Mexico, not to mention rumours of their mistreatment since the hurricane.

Today, in the same local paper, there is a story claiming that many of the dolphins from the separate Atlantida attraction are still in a small temporary pool, months after the hurricane damaged their original location. The story also suggests that unfortunately Mexican environmental authorities cannot be relied upon to protect them (story in Spanish here: http://www.poresto.com.mx/index.php?ID=56075)

For anyone that really cares about these beautiful creatures the best way to help is vote with your feet and don't visit the attractions when they re-open. I'm not saying avoid Chankanaab altogether - which will be fantastic again when it re-opens - I just suggest avoiding Dolphin Discovery which is a privately owned business within the park or Atlantida if/when it re-opens downtown.

Just my opinion of course...

Ian

Sorry I am behind on this one. Did you book ahead through the NCL excursions or through another way. My understanding (sounds like could be wrong), is if you booked excursions ahead and they are cancelled, it would just automatically be taken of your NCL bill before the end of the cruise?

Sorry I am behind on this one. Did you book ahead through the NCL excursions or through another way. My understanding (sounds like could be wrong), is if you booked excursions ahead and they are cancelled, it would just automatically be taken of your NCL bill before the end of the cruise?

If you booked through cruise line, I am 99% sure you are credited just fine.

back on my saga (I'm OP) I found out today, that my credit I just got, is probably contingent on successful dispute... so it was not necessarily a final credit...

I must be one of the lucky ones. I Received a refund to CC 17 days after I sent an E-mail to Abigail to definatly cancel (2) royal swims for Jan. All I had to do wait and be patient. Maybe I lust live under a lucky star. LOL

Archived