Live: Jan 2 2018 Solstice Great Barrier Reef

mahdnc

If we weren't visiting family, I would have chosen Australia Zoo as well.

We went there many years ago, I think when Steve Irwin's movie had first come out as he was on a promotional tour.

David, can you tell me was your photo of the Galapagos tortoise Harriette or was it another?  When we went we took lots of photos of Harriette and I still use her to talk about in my Year 10 Biology class as she was the longest living Galapagos Tortoise that was documented for her whole life.  (Charles Darwin collected her and then gave her to the Governor of Queensland where she lived in Botanic Gardens before moving in with the Irwins)  The students find it fascinating.

Marilyn, I'm glad you can do Gold Class.  It is worth it.

We are in the process of organising another cruise.  We are looking at doing this one again in January and then next January we hopefully will be with David again on a cruise to the South Pacific Islands.  (That one is a definite for us - this January one is still in the process of being booked because our Future Cruise Certificates we bought last year have been lost)

8 hours ago, the mice said:

I see there are quite a few offered and it looks like they are all available on the day we are there.  Some time slots only have 2 spots.   It appears that we would both have to do it, because there is no "viewing" opportunity for those not participating.   Some are very pricey.   

Knowing that the Irwins are big into conservation, are these encounters really good for the animals, do you know?   so many of these things in other places are really exploitive (sp?).   Are they more than just a photo op?  Do they want you to understand more about the animal and the need to protect and conserve?   

Marilyn,

I guess exploitive is all in the point of view because I know there are those they view zoos in that manner.  While photos are part of all the encounters, the one we ended up with was advertised as a photo op (cheetah) which meant that you did not spend a lot of time with the animal.

Still, I thought it was done very well.  Yes, they educated us.  Also there was a lot of rules, choreography and planning that went into how we approached the animal.  It was done in small groups for each appointed time.  The group was stay at a distance waiting their turn and then your party (e.g. my son and I ) was summoned to approach the animal.  The group scheduled behind us included the Solstice's Master, Captain Kafetzis!

David

3 hours ago, Suzi66 said:

David, can you tell me was your photo of the Galapagos tortoise Harriette or was it another?  When we went we took lots of photos of Harriette and I still use her to talk about in my Year 10 Biology class as she was the longest living Galapagos Tortoise that was documented for her whole life.  (Charles Darwin collected her and then gave her to the Governor of Queensland where she lived in Botanic Gardens before moving in with the Irwins)  The students find it fascinating.

I don't recall actually.  I will have to ask my son if he remembers.

David

3 hours ago, mahdnc said:

Marilyn,

I guess exploitive is all in the point of view because I know there are those they view zoos in that manner.  While photos are part of all the encounters, the one we ended up with was advertised as a photo op (cheetah) which meant that you did not spend a lot of time with the animal.

Still, I thought it was done very well.  Yes, they educated us.  Also there was a lot of rules, choreography and planning that went into how we approached the animal.  It was done in small groups for each appointed time.  The group was stay at a distance waiting their turn and then your party (e.g. my son and I ) was summoned to approach the animal.  The group scheduled behind us included the Solstice's Master, Captain Kafetzis!

David

David,

Thanks again.   I will ask my DH if he wants to do one of them.  There are lots of choices (and prices!).    I remember your photos of the cheetah.    -  Marilyn

On 4/29/2019 at 12:22 AM, the mice said:

Sorry about dropping that on you.  I will conclude this post with something a bit happier.  After spending 11 days in the Intensive Care Unit, I was discharged from the hospital.  When I came home this double rainbow appeared right over our house (this is absolutely true):

David, I'm with Marilyn.  Wow, you are an amazing guy!  I've never seen someone answer questions for strangers in such detail.  Your pictures of the Port Douglas tender landing area will be invaluable to me and the fact that you knew the exact time you got on and off the tender boat is amazing.

I'm a detail person, but you got me beat by tons!  I'm so happy your heart situation resolved quickly and you are back enjoying scuba and cruising.  My husband had quadruple bypass about 12 years ago.  I think the technology has changed greatly, because he was in the hospital a good 2-3 weeks and a couple months of rehab.  He is 71 now and I continue to push him with my joy for travel and adventure.  I'm hoping the travel to Australia (17 hrs from LAX in cramped Economy) doesn't cause him too much distress.  When we did China in 2016, his feet swelled larger than Fred Flintstones.  It was very scary, I was afraid he would have an embolism or something. So, we've learned he has to wear compression socks during trips.  His Dr. at the VA knows he's still scuba diving, but we don't really divulge his health on the waivers.  I know, bad bad.  If something happens, I will regret but this is bucket list for us!   We always travel with travel insurance bought privately online.

I am not finding enough time to plan this adventure, so I apologize for not responding to all your helpful tips sooner.  I think I will take a chance and book the scuba at PD with Poseidon and hope we make it.  If not, we will run over to Quicksilver and hope they transfer our money. I read really good reviews about Poseidon accommodating customers who miss flights, etc. and even refunding money when dive trips went bad.  Sounds like they have amazing customer service.  I'm just not going to tell them we're cruising.  (Little white lie...)

I am going to book the Arlie Beach scuba thru the ship, just so we don't miss.  Same with the zoo at Brisbane.  I'm grateful for that information also.  I was wondering if it was the Irwin zoo.  A fellow cruiser mentioned I should book it through the cruise line, so we will (not my favorite, but like you said, who wants to drive on the wrong side of the road!). Plus, I heard it's a long way from the ship.

I couldn't figure out the railroad and sky rail thing like Marilyn did, so I'm just going with some of my fellow CC people on a private tour.  I guess I'm getting there on tours, although it still feels very overwhelming.  I still have no solid plans in Sydney.  So much to see & do there!  I have lots of tips I'm keeping in a Word file.  Will have to narrow down sometime.  

Anyway, just wanted to extend my thanks to you, David, for continuing to help me and others out!  

Best wishes on your next adventure.

Motorcycle Gma aka Cindi 

• Thanks 1

@Motorcycle Gma   The Skyrail is really easy to book.   Go to the Skyrail website:  https://www.skyrail.com.au/cairnstours/skyrail-kuranda-rail  

The excursion that is most popular is the Skyrail & Kuranda Train.   Click the book now and you will see the options.  

For us, on our date in Yorkey's Knob, there was an option for the tour with pickup marked Cruise ship days only.   

I don't know when you are going, because I think you are on Princess, and I don't know your ports.   They do run this from Port Douglas as well as Cairns, but PD is where you are snorkeling.  

Skyrail has a live chat and they are super helpful.   Just check the time zone so you can see when they are online.   Or you can use the chat to leave a message and they are very responsive to answering you via email.    If you want to do this excursion, they can help you figure it out.  For our dates, the later train wasn't showing, but they helped me book it via online chat (Celebrity sails out late).

But I can tell you, for our dates in October, they are booking up rapidly.   So don't delay if you want to do this.

--- Marilyn

8 hours ago, Motorcycle Gma said:

David, I'm with Marilyn.  Wow, you are an amazing guy!  I've never seen someone answer questions for strangers in such detail.  Your pictures of the Port Douglas tender landing area will be invaluable to me and the fact that you knew the exact time you got on and off the tender boat is amazing.

I'm a detail person, but you got me beat by tons!  I'm so happy your heart situation resolved quickly and you are back enjoying scuba and cruising.  My husband had quadruple bypass about 12 years ago.  I think the technology has changed greatly, because he was in the hospital a good 2-3 weeks and a couple months of rehab.  He is 71 now and I continue to push him with my joy for travel and adventure.  I'm hoping the travel to Australia (17 hrs from LAX in cramped Economy) doesn't cause him too much distress.  When we did China in 2016, his feet swelled larger than Fred Flintstones.  It was very scary, I was afraid he would have an embolism or something. So, we've learned he has to wear compression socks during trips.  His Dr. at the VA knows he's still scuba diving, but we don't really divulge his health on the waivers.  I know, bad bad.  If something happens, I will regret but this is bucket list for us!   We always travel with travel insurance bought privately online.

I am not finding enough time to plan this adventure, so I apologize for not responding to all your helpful tips sooner.  I think I will take a chance and book the scuba at PD with Poseidon and hope we make it.  If not, we will run over to Quicksilver and hope they transfer our money. I read really good reviews about Poseidon accommodating customers who miss flights, etc. and even refunding money when dive trips went bad.  Sounds like they have amazing customer service.  I'm just not going to tell them we're cruising.  (Little white lie...)

I am going to book the Arlie Beach scuba thru the ship, just so we don't miss.  Same with the zoo at Brisbane.  I'm grateful for that information also.  I was wondering if it was the Irwin zoo.  A fellow cruiser mentioned I should book it through the cruise line, so we will (not my favorite, but like you said, who wants to drive on the wrong side of the road!). Plus, I heard it's a long way from the ship.

I couldn't figure out the railroad and sky rail thing like Marilyn did, so I'm just going with some of my fellow CC people on a private tour.  I guess I'm getting there on tours, although it still feels very overwhelming.  I still have no solid plans in Sydney.  So much to see & do there!  I have lots of tips I'm keeping in a Word file.  Will have to narrow down sometime.  

Anyway, just wanted to extend my thanks to you, David, for continuing to help me and others out!  

Best wishes on your next adventure.

Motorcycle Gma aka Cindi 

Hi, Cindi.

First off, I take a lot of photos and the time stamps information on the photos are very useful to calculate how long it took to tender, etc.  

Poseidon and Quicksilver either share the same office where you check in or the offices are adjacent to each other (in the marina shopping center/mall).  So you won't have to go very far if you find that you have to "run over to Quicksilver" if you are too late for Poseidon.  

Yes, the Irwin zoo and the Australia Zoo are one in the same. The bus ride is about 1 hr 15 min to get there; the bus does not make any stops along the way.  When you take the bus to the zoo, be sure to sit on the LEFT (port) side of the bus so you can see the Glass House Mountains.  The tour guide will point them out and you get brief glimpses of them between the trees.  It is much harder to see when you sit on the right side of the bus like we did (we got a great view of the city of Brisbane and then an IKEA though).

As far as Sydney is concerned, my only advice is to carefully plan something for the day you arrive to help keep yourself awake!  I think we arrived mid-morning Sydney time.

David

• 2 months later...
On 4/29/2019 at 8:49 PM, mahdnc said:

We ended up going to the Australia Zoo which is a 1.25 hr ride from the ship by bus.  Here is the section of the cruise review that discusses it in more detail: link.  We ended up booking this excursion thru the ship.

There were 3 decisions that were made in booking this excursion:

1. Australia Zoo or Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary?

When I read all the TripAdvisor reviews and other internet research, it seemed like I found varying opinions on which one was better.  Based on that I was leaning towards the Koala Sanctuary because it was closer and cheaper and we would do that on our own.   But I decided to buy the Australia Zoo shore excursion ahead of time because I figured I could cancel while on board if I decided in the end that the Koala Sanctuary was better.  My wife and I had lunch during the middle of the cruise with a retired couple who lived in Brisbane.  I told them that I was still trying to decide which one to go to and they were emphatic that the Australia Zoo was much much much better.  So that conversation sealed it for me and we ended up going to the Australia Zoo.

2. Do the Australia Zoo on our own or book thru the ship?

An adult admission ticket to the Zoo thru their website cost around $41 USD per person.  Depending on the excursion you choose, it costs $140 USD to buy it thru Celebrity.  When I was originally pricing this out, I was looking at our whole family of 4 going to the zoo which mean that I could save $400 USD if I could figure out ground transportation.  In the end, I couldn't figure out a cost effective way to get up to the zoo and back (and I didn't want to rent a car and drive on the "other" side of the road).  So I decided to buy the excursion thru the ship.

3. Which Australia Zoo shore excursion to buy thru Celebrity?

Amazingly, there are about 4-5 different choices in the shore excursion book and a couple of them are real expensive.  Many read very similar to one another.  I ended up choosing one of the cheaper options--one that spent a couple of hours longer at the zoo than the cheapest option.

By the way, I agree with the retired couple that we had lunch with on board Solstice: the Australia Zoo is very well done.  I would go back again.    

Hi David,

I'm back...still trying to plan my October adventure down under.  I finally booked the ship's dive excursion yesterday, begrudgingly spending $225 each just to get to the pontoon at Arlie Beach.  I haven't booked PD yet, but will be trying for Poseidon with back up of Quicksilver.

I'm contacting you today because I reviewed all of Princess' tours to the Irwin Zoo and realized they are only allowing us 2 hrs at the zoo!!  I'm so not believing they expect us to leave at 8am and not get at least 4 hours at the zoo!  They're taking us to some village to do shopping at the Gold Coast which I have NO desire to do. I HATE THESE TYPE TOURS.  So, this brings me back to the dilemma of how to get to the zoo.  In Brisbane I've heard we will be at an alternative port called Fisherman's port which is a commercial port way out of the way.  I assume they will provide a shuttle to Brisbane and maybe there I could get a public bus or train.  I was hoping in your research you might have spotted something? 

And, a general question about Australian ports, do they have people at the ports trying to sell you last minute tours like they do in Meditteranean or Carribean?   I'm just trying to find a private way to get to see more of the zoo than 2 hours worth.  That is nothing -- I can't even see our local zoo in 2 hours!    

I thank you again for your time and advice.  BTW, I went and looked at your pics of the zoo and it looks fabulous.  We're in port 8 am - 6 pm that day.  If worse comes to worse, I might try to get a rental car. Thanks

26 minutes ago, Motorcycle Gma said:

Hi David,

I'm back...still trying to plan my October adventure down under.  I finally booked the ship's dive excursion yesterday, begrudgingly spending $225 each just to get to the pontoon at Arlie Beach.  I haven't booked PD yet, but will be trying for Poseidon with back up of Quicksilver.

I'm contacting you today because I reviewed all of Princess' tours to the Irwin Zoo and realized they are only allowing us 2 hrs at the zoo!!  I'm so not believing they expect us to leave at 8am and not get at least 4 hours at the zoo!  They're taking us to some village to do shopping at the Gold Coast which I have NO desire to do. I HATE THESE TYPE TOURS.  So, this brings me back to the dilemma of how to get to the zoo.  In Brisbane I've heard we will be at an alternative port called Fisherman's port which is a commercial port way out of the way.  I assume they will provide a shuttle to Brisbane and maybe there I could get a public bus or train.  I was hoping in your research you might have spotted something? 

And, a general question about Australian ports, do they have people at the ports trying to sell you last minute tours like they do in Meditteranean or Carribean?   I'm just trying to find a private way to get to see more of the zoo than 2 hours worth.  That is nothing -- I can't even see our local zoo in 2 hours!    

I thank you again for your time and advice.  BTW, I went and looked at your pics of the zoo and it looks fabulous.  We're in port 8 am - 6 pm that day.  If worse comes to worse, I might try to get a rental car. Thanks

Yes, because of its size Solstice docked at the Port of Brisbane at Fisherman's Island

Although we didn't use it because we had purchased shore excursions thru the ship, Celebrity offered a shuttle ($28 per person) that took you from the pier to ANZAC Square.  

I don't recall seeing taxis at the pier for passenger pickup.  However taxis may be permitted to drop off passengers there like they did at Newcastle.

With one exception, I did not recall seeing vendors lining up at the pier offering sightseeing services like you described in the Caribbean.  The exception was at Port Douglas, where there are a lot of boat vendors offering trips or rentals at the marina where the ship's tender docks.  I definitely did not see anything like that at Brisbane.

You definitely want to spend more than 2 hours at the Australia Zoo.  I am surprised that Princess offers it only that way as part of a combination itinerary.

Brisbane Shuttle.JPG

when we docked at Brisbane during our GBR cruise April 2018 there were a few taxi's there - some had been 'pre-booked'? I think, but I did see one man ask a taxi driver how much for 4 people to go into the CBD... then he and 3 others got into the taxi

if the celebrity provided shuttle was $28 each that's $112 for 4 people - whereas the taxi would have been cheaper

On 5/3/2019 at 2:00 PM, the mice said:

@Motorcycle Gma   The Skyrail is really easy to book.   Go to the Skyrail website:  https://www.skyrail.com.au/cairnstours/skyrail-kuranda-rail  

The excursion that is most popular is the Skyrail & Kuranda Train.   Click the book now and you will see the options.  

For us, on our date in Yorkey's Knob, there was an option for the tour with pickup marked Cruise ship days only.   

I don't know when you are going, because I think you are on Princess, and I don't know your ports.   They do run this from Port Douglas as well as Cairns, but PD is where you are snorkeling.  

Skyrail has a live chat and they are super helpful.   Just check the time zone so you can see when they are online.   Or you can use the chat to leave a message and they are very responsive to answering you via email.    If you want to do this excursion, they can help you figure it out.  For our dates, the later train wasn't showing, but they helped me book it via online chat (Celebrity sails out late).

But I can tell you, for our dates in October, they are booking up rapidly.   So don't delay if you want to do this.

--- Marilyn

Hi Marilyn, my group tour dropped part of the tour where you get to visit the Koalas, butterfly garden, etc. so now I'm thinking I might need to do this tour on my own.  What I don't understand is how I get from Yorkey's Knob port to the skyrail or train?

Do I take the "With return transfers, Cairns & Beaches accommodation" see below, 3rd line down?  Then, how do I get from Cairns back to Yorkey's Knob?  Cab or Uber??  Thanks for any help.image.thumb.png.35ddac5f79d9e83ac45467acd6dc6ae9.png

Hi,

The best info I have is what I posted in #207 above.   I got all my help via online chat.    They were super helpful to me.  Especially since calling from NY to NZ wasn't in the budget.

As I mentioned, for us, on our date in Yorkey's Knob, there was an option for the tour with pickup marked Cruise ship days only.   The online chat person was able to see my order and work with me to get it right.   He actually had to make some adjustments on his end IIRC (it was a while ago).  

It's around 8:30am there - I'm not sure when online chat opens, but be sure to use this website (the official one, not some tour agency - there are a few of those):   https://www.skyrail.com.au/

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/8/2019 at 4:17 PM, mahdnc said:

Yes, because of its size Solstice docked at the Port of Brisbane at Fisherman's Island

Although we didn't use it because we had purchased shore excursions thru the ship, Celebrity offered a shuttle ($28 per person) that took you from the pier to ANZAC Square.  

I don't recall seeing taxis at the pier for passenger pickup.  However taxis may be permitted to drop off passengers there like they did at Newcastle.

With one exception, I did not recall seeing vendors lining up at the pier offering sightseeing services like you described in the Caribbean.  The exception was at Port Douglas, where there are a lot of boat vendors offering trips or rentals at the marina where the ship's tender docks.  I definitely did not see anything like that at Brisbane.

You definitely want to spend more than 2 hours at the Australia Zoo.  I am surprised that Princess offers it only that way as part of a combination itinerary.

Brisbane Shuttle.JPG

Hi David:

Just to let you know and any others that might find this post later, I found a tour that takes us to the Australia Zoo/the Irwin zoo.  It is Croc Tours out of Brisbane (look for them on Facebook or online).  He's picking us up at Fisherman's Island and driving us in a fancy air conditioned van to the Zoo and back.  We get admission to the zoo for 4-5 hours, a picture with a Koala, the crocodile show and a short visit to that animal hospital that you skipped.  We get all this for $159 AU or approx. $111.  I'm very excited. The gentlemen with Croc Tours has been so helpful.  There are only 4 of us going currently -- if we get up to 7, he will throw in a free guide for the zoo.  I'm hoping some more will join us.

I also rebooked my cruise and was able to upgrade to a balcony on an upper floor with more OBC for same cost!  Woo hoo.

Thanks again for your continued help.  Have a great weekend. 

15 minutes ago, Motorcycle Gma said:

Hi David:

Just to let you know and any others that might find this post later, I found a tour that takes us to the Australia Zoo/the Irwin zoo.  It is Croc Tours out of Brisbane (look for them on Facebook or online).  He's picking us up at Fisherman's Island and driving us in a fancy air conditioned van to the Zoo and back.  We get admission to the zoo for 4-5 hours, a picture with a Koala, the crocodile show and a short visit to that animal hospital that you skipped.  We get all this for $159 AU or approx. $111.  I'm very excited. The gentlemen with Croc Tours has been so helpful.  There are only 4 of us going currently -- if we get up to 7, he will throw in a free guide for the zoo.  I'm hoping some more will join us.

I also rebooked my cruise and was able to upgrade to a balcony on an upper floor with more OBC for same cost!  Woo hoo.

Thanks again for your continued help.  Have a great weekend. 

Nice job in finding Croc Tours.  I would have booked with them if I had known about them.  You will have to post a review.

And good for you about the rebooking!

@Motorcycle Gma  I also forgot to mention that your pricing for Croc Tours is excellent.  We paid $132 USD pp for doing the Australia Zoo thru the ship.  So your trip is less expensive but you are getting A LOT more for it.  I like how you will also go to the Glass House Mountain Lookout as well where I only caught glimpses of it from the bus.  And of course your trip will be more personalized.  Very nice find!

Yes, I’m excited about it. It’s about the only good find I’ve done so far. I haven’t planned our Sydney days at all! First day we may take ferry to Watson’s bay, eat & then Bondi Beach to Coogee. Maybe just Watson’s, lunch & scenic bus ride back. We’ll be jet lagged. Did you guys do the Bondi Beach walk?

On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 11:38 PM, the mice said:

Hi,

The best info I have is what I posted in #207 above.   I got all my help via online chat.    They were super helpful to me.  Especially since calling from NY to NZ wasn't in the budget.

As I mentioned, for us, on our date in Yorkey's Knob, there was an option for the tour with pickup marked Cruise ship days only.   The online chat person was able to see my order and work with me to get it right.   He actually had to make some adjustments on his end IIRC (it was a while ago).  

It's around 8:30am there - I'm not sure when online chat opens, but be sure to use this website (the official one, not some tour agency - there are a few of those):   https://www.skyrail.com.au/

We have booked the train and skyrail through http://www.cairnstablelandtours.com.au/cruise_ship_tours.html

They pick up from ship and take you back afterwards.  

On 7/27/2019 at 6:16 PM, Motorcycle Gma said:

Yes, I’m excited about it. It’s about the only good find I’ve done so far. I haven’t planned our Sydney days at all! First day we may take ferry to Watson’s bay, eat & then Bondi Beach to Coogee. Maybe just Watson’s, lunch & scenic bus ride back. We’ll be jet lagged. Did you guys do the Bondi Beach walk?

I am sorry that I did not get around to answering this sooner.

We spent 3 nights before the cruise in Sydney.  However night #2 was Dec 31 2017--New Years Eve.  We splurged and booked in advance a spot on one of the harbour ships to watch the fantastic fireworks.  

Therefore I did not build a very aggressive plan for Sydney because of jet lag on the first day, not wanting to tire ourselves out on the second day (Dec 31), and then kind of recuperating from the NYE festivities on the 3rd day.  We got on the ship on the 4th day.  In the end we went shopping on Day 1, visited the aquarium on Day 2, and we visited the zoo on Day 3. 

We will be back in Sydney this Dec for 3 nights pre-cruise again.  This time we will be on the ship for Christmas and New Years so we won't be watching fireworks over Sydney Harbour this time.  So I have no restrictions like last time.  But I haven't nailed down a plan yet.  This time we may do a bridge or pylon climb, visit the Opera House, see the botanical gardens, and go to Bondi Beach.  We might do some last minute Christmas shopping, too.

We are staying at the Marriott so the bridge, gardens, and Opera House will be very close by.

Let me know what you decide, I may use your ideas!

David

Edited by mahdnc

On 7/28/2019 at 3:00 PM, Cobeck1234 said:

Did your cruise go to Eden, AU?  We are booked for March 2020 and one stop is in Eden and not finding many great options.

No, we didn't go to Eden at all.  Eden isn't the biggest area and it's biggest claim to fame is that it was one of the big whaling areas.  Some Killer Whales used to herd the humpbacks and assist the hunters.  There is a museum about the history.  The area is very pretty but I'm not sure what sort of excursion options you will get.

17 hours ago, Holly2 said:

Just FYI there is a very  good international food court on the same block as Marriott.  Very convenient location and nice pool.  

That is good to know!  During our GBR cruise we stayed at the Westin Sydney.  Our two kids loved the food court at the nearby Westfield Shopping Centre.  So I know that they would be disappointed when we return to Sydney to find out we are staying in a hotel that is not conveniently located to that food court.  It didn't occur to me that there would be one near the Marriott.

16 hours ago, Suzi66 said:

No, we didn't go to Eden at all.  Eden isn't the biggest area and it's biggest claim to fame is that it was one of the big whaling areas.  Some Killer Whales used to herd the humpbacks and assist the hunters.  There is a museum about the history.  The area is very pretty but I'm not sure what sort of excursion options you will get.

Thanks, Celebrity excursions didn’t interest us much and couldn’t find a lot from other tour operators.  Thinking we will be enjoying a ship day or just see what we can see on foot.