October 2018 Anthem of the Seas Cruise

My wife and I are considering a nine day Canada/New England cruise on the Anthem of the Seas in October 2018. Love the looks of the ship, the activities and dining choices. My concerns are since we have never been on a mega ship, I have visions of embarkation and disembarkation nightmares, overcrowded buffets and restaurants, getting shut out of shows, too many children, overcrowded venues in general especially if there is poor weather in October, forcing everyone inside. I know every cruise can be different, but should I be concerned. Thanks

There have been very few children on those nine night cruises that I’ve done the past three years. I’m booked again in September along with the five night Bermuda cruise before it, to make a two week getaway for myself.

I should add that embarkation and disembarking have been very easy on the 10 Anthem Cruises I’ve been on.

Edited by Croozin Soozin
Additional information

You should have no worries. The only time the Anthem felt crowded to me were those first few hours on the ship in the Windjammer and Muster Drill. The rest of the time everyone is spread out all over the ship. Like Bob said, lots of indoor areas for everyone. Embarkation was a breeze and disembarkation not too bad. Just book a reservation for the 3 main shows ahead of time and you will be fine. Our cruise on the Anthem was in Oct. 2016 and there were not a lot of children. I wouldn't hesitate to book your cruise. We just booked another one on the Anthem for this year too.

My wife and I are considering a nine day Canada/New England cruise on the Anthem of the Seas in October 2018. Love the looks of the ship, the activities and dining choices. My concerns are since we have never been on a mega ship, I have visions of embarkation and disembarkation nightmares, overcrowded buffets and restaurants, getting shut out of shows, too many children, overcrowded venues in general especially if there is poor weather in October, forcing everyone inside. I know every cruise can be different, but should I be concerned. Thanks

I have sailed Anthem twice and your concern regarding the windjammer being crowd is valid, at least for breakfast. You can and should book the 3 main entertainment shows via the cruise planner. Same is true for north star and I-fly.

The promenade does get crowed but not to the point where it is unmanageable. I have found the walking area, which is small to begin with, by the bionic bar difficult because cruisers find some fascination watching machines make a drink and thus block the limited space. Getting on and off the ship was not an issue either cruise, I suggest to arrive by 11 am when boarding. Both covered pools can be accessed without walking outside on the pool deck by using the front elevators .

I was on the Anthem for the first time in November and it was not crowded at all! I was very pleasantly surprised. The buffet was busy at breakfast but other than that it was fine. We even started showing up to the main theatre only 5 minutes before show time (comedians, etc.) and were able to get within 5 rows of the stage as it was empty. And the theatre doesn't have any random poles (support posts) that make for terrible views.

A little late to the party, but when I booked our first Anthem cruise, I didn’t tell DH how big the ship was because he hates large ships. It was his favorite ship. It was very well laid out, and as others have said, other than breakfast at Windjammer, never felt crowded.