Viking Homelands Cruise and fjord cruise/excursion question.

Pcnw

We're going from Bergen to Stockholm and visiting Eidfjord and Stavanger in Norway. Will we see enough of the fjords (my reason for doing this itinerary) from the ship that the separate 3 hour cruise/excursion out of Stavanger or Bergen is redundant?

If not which city would you do this excursion from?

Pcnw, this is a good question! On our Viking Homelands this past Sept., we took excursions at Stavanger (Pulpit Rock cruise- if you book directly with Norled or Rodne you'll save a lot over the Viking excursion) and Eidfjord (the Flam 6 hour bus/train excursion) and enjoyed them both very much. They allowed us to experience yes, more fjords, but also the high mountain plateaus, waterfalls, and lush valleys that characterize this area. In Bergen, we just walked around the city on our own and took the funicular to the top of Mt. Floyen, where we walked to some picturesque lakes. But there are many wonderful outings from Bergen - Norway in a Nutshell covers much of the area around Flam. I would encourage you to research some of the options and pick at least one that interests you, though I will say that the sailout from Eifjord might have been the most spectacular of all, partially due to the lovely evening and the mirror-like fjord!

Took the Flam bus & train tour and loved it. Great scenery. Tunnels under the mountain with roundabouts under the mountain were spectacular. Lots of waterfalls. Long bus ride but worth it.

Do NOT make specialty restaurant reservations like I did the evening of Eifjord sail out. If you're sailing into Eidfjord in the morning, have an early breakfast and watch the many waterfalls from the upper level World Cafe where you can just pop out and take photos.

We also blew off the optional $ Viking tour of the funicular to the top of Mt. Floyen. Walked the 15 minutes to the base station and did it on our own. I walked down the 3 Km (almost 2 mile) trail back down. Nice forest, great views and came out on town back roads close to the ship.

We took the Rodne tour out to Pulpit Rock on our own as it was so much cheaper than the same tour offered by Viking and in fact one of their groups was on boat in front of ours and one was on boat behind ours and quite a few people from our boat were Viking passengers like us saving some $

And yes you can do the funicular on your own as Bergen is small and a walk down the harbor also brings you past nice shops