10 day Alaska - things to do - comments/additional suggestions

stpiloui

Our first trip to Alaska. Oceania Regatta 10 day cruise June 2018.

The following are ports and my tentative excursions.

Ketchikan- Misty Fjords Island Wings with Michelle 11 am-1 pm.

Juneau- Float plane 5 Glaciers and Taku Lodge with Wings Airways 1pm

Skagway- Dyea Dave’s to Emerald Lake, 2:45 p WPYR train back from Fraser to Skagway.

Icy Strait Point- whale watch with Icy Strait Whale Adventures 9:30 departure (2 hrs)

Not sure yet on Sitka

Victoria- thinking of Oceania excursion to Butchart Gardens.

It’s less than six months - looking forward to this trip!!!

Anyone have comments or suggestions?

Thanks

Stpilou

To me, Sitka is a very cool and interesting place. When I was there in May '16 we rented a car for the day to explore on our own - I'm kinda independent. I like being able to stop for pics or just to look when I want too - not on a bus being whizzed here and there. We rode out of town to The Fortress of the Bear - a bus arrived while we were there and left fairly quickly - otherwise we had the place to ourselves. Nice. On the way back into the center of town we stopped at the Raptor Center - similar to Fortress of the Bear but for eagles, owls, etc. Next we parked downtown where we had lunch and shopped. We were able to walk to the Russian Bishop's house, St. Michael's Cathedral, etc. We rented the car at the airport but I have since found out about Sitka Car Rental which I will use next time - they will leave the car for you to get at the main parking lot right in the center of town which will save time. https://sitkacarrental.com/

We took the Dyea Dave tour and the train back from Fraser just like you have planned. I'd give this two thumbs up. We had Mr. Dave himself and by the end of the day he seemed like a personal friend. I had spoken with him a couple times while planning our trip - very helpful as he's a true local to Skagway. We are doing the tour and train again this coming May.

We also toured Butchart Gardens at Victoria. Instead of taking an organized tour we took a taxi so we wouldn't be rushed - we were docked from noon until midnight. As soon as we were off the ship we took the taxi to the gardens (probably a half-hour ride each way - not close). We took another taxi back (we shared one with another couple and split the fare) all the way back to the ship and had dinner there. After dinner we were off the ship again for a shuttle bus to downtown - we walked around and enjoyed the evening. It's a nice city.

Good luck!

P.S. You'll love Alaska! Ten days is not enough!

To me, Sitka is a very cool and interesting place. When I was there in May '16 we rented a car for the day to explore on our own - I'm kinda independent. I like being able to stop for pics or just to look when I want too - not on a bus being whizzed here and there. We rode out of town to The Fortress of the Bear - a bus arrived while we were there and left fairly quickly - otherwise we had the place to ourselves. Nice. On the way back into the center of town we stopped at the Raptor Center - similar to Fortress of the Bear but for eagles, owls, etc. Next we parked downtown where we had lunch and shopped. We were able to walk to the Russian Bishop's house, St. Michael's Cathedral, etc. We rented the car at the airport but I have since found out about Sitka Car Rental which I will use next time - they will leave the car for you to get at the main parking lot right in the center of town which will save time. https://sitkacarrental.com/

We took the Dyea Dave tour and the train back from Fraser just like you have planned. I'd give this two thumbs up. We had Mr. Dave himself and by the end of the day he seemed like a personal friend. I had spoken with him a couple times while planning our trip - very helpful as he's a true local to Skagway. We are doing the tour and train again this coming May.

We also toured Butchart Gardens at Victoria. Instead of taking an organized tour we took a taxi so we wouldn't be rushed - we were docked from noon until midnight. As soon as we were off the ship we took the taxi to the gardens (probably a half-hour ride each way - not close). We took another taxi back (we shared one with another couple and split the fare) all the way back to the ship and had dinner there. After dinner we were off the ship again for a shuttle bus to downtown - we walked around and enjoyed the evening. It's a nice city.

Good luck!

P.S. You'll love Alaska! Ten days is not enough!

Thank you for your input. I like the idea of self touring in Sitka!

We are in Victoria from 1-11pm, so plenary of time to do whatever. Taxi to Butchart Gardens is a good suggestion as well.

Stpilou

We enjoyed Fortress of the Bear and seeing the historic sites in downtown Sitka. We took the shuttle that runs from the visitor center downtown. They run a regular schedule and we had 45 minutes to an hour to spend there before the next shuttle returned. This is plenty of time to see the bears.

They also stop at the Raptor Center on the return trip to town. We were planning on walking back to town from there through the park to see the totem poles, but it was the only day we experienced rain on our trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We enjoyed Fortress of the Bear and seeing the historic sites in downtown Sitka. We took the shuttle that runs from the visitor center downtown. They run a regular schedule and we had 45 minutes to an hour to spend there before the next shuttle returned. This is plenty of time to see the bears.

They also stop at the Raptor Center on the return trip to town. We were planning on walking back to town from there through the park to see the totem poles, but it was the only day we experienced rain on our trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you- these two places were on my list. I’ll check out the shuttle schedules.

Stpilou

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I visited Skagway and discovered the Yukon for the 1st time in September 2017 and I love it!

I rented a car in Skagway and drove through the Yukon. It was an amazing and beautiful experience!

I preferred to rent a car to be more independent, be free to stop anytime for pictures and to enjoy scenic. Moreover it was really easy as there is only one highway from Skagway to the Emerald Lake (and not traffic!).

My daytrip highlights were: the Emerald lake, Carcross, and Carcross’desert (the smallest desert in the world). Are you going to stop at these locations?

If you’re interested I wrote an article to describe my DIY Yukon daytrip:daydreamunderthestars.com/2017/11/20/the-yukon/

Let me know if you have any questions

Enjoy your trip!

Marie