Need help with dress code.

WouldBeCruiser

We haven't cruised for a few years and my husband is unsure what he will need for the dining room in the evenings. I looked at the literature provided by Holland America and it doesn't mention wearing a jacket and tie in the dining room, yet I'm sure that was previously required. I would appreciate some advice as we don't want to pack a suit, with dress shirts and ties if we don't need them. Thanks in advance for any clarification.

There really is no dress code. HAL now has an occasional “gala” evening - when it is suggested that some special effort be made. A very few might wear a suit, one or two even a tuxedo, but jackets and ties are likely to be in the minority - where the only real necessity is to wear a collared shirt and trousers (other than jeans).

You will get more informed responses on the Holland America Forum. And disregard the people who think we live in the fifties.

My husband took polo shirts and khaki or black pants. He added a jacket, dress shirt and tie on formal nights. That was a few years ago, but we also avoided the formal nights on one HAL cruise by eating in the buffet restaurant on those days. In the meantime we avoid ships with formal nights.

navybankerteacher, good to hear.