How early to fly to and from Barcelona for the cruise?

In other words, how early to fly and when to return?

We would like to get to the port at 2:00pm for our Mediterranean cruise. The cruise arrives back to Barcelona in the morning.

We were thinking of flying a day early and a day after and staying in a hotel (also to see a little bit of the city).

Is this good?

Roll Call on Brilliance of the Seas 06/17/05

Enchantment of the Seas, RCCL, 11/01 - Eastern Caribbean

Tropicale, Carnival 08/99 - Western Caribbean

We arrived 2 days ahead on our way to our cruise and stayed a day after.

I'm glad we arrived early because our baggage was delayed and it gave us time to get adjusted to the time as well as get our baggage.

We ended up staying a day afterwards mainly because we couldn't get a flight out earlier.

It did give us an evening to unwind from the hectic cruise and get a good nights sleep before our long flight home (where our bags got lost again)...

Susan

Splendour of the Seas - August 9, 2003

Susan,

What did you think of the Splendour? We have only sailed on newer RCI ships & we trying to decide if we want to reserve a European cruise next summer on the Splendour.

Any thoughts & opinions are welcome---thanks very much,

Kim

Since it was my first cruise I have nothing to compare it to...

We had a great time.

We were a family group of 9 traveling with 4 kids (6-12) and a senior (80+).

We all had a great trip. It was extremely hot and a port intensive tour.

The kids were real troopers but due to the heat we did cut back on the touring a bit... still saw a lot...

The kids also enjoyed the Ocean Adventure club.

The 6 year old especially.

We had early seating and she was ready to head to the club by dessert. I would run her up to the club while we waited for dessert.

She also ate with the kids program a few nights.

We didn't take too much advantage of the night life because we were usually wiped after a full day. Never made it to the Midnight buffets.

My trip report is at http://messages.cruisecritic.com/2/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=927093444&f=109097554&m=1273094837

We also used Love to Travel's guide as a reference.

Susan

Splendour of the Seas - August 9, 2003

Ideally, I'd try to get in either early enough or get out late enough to leave myself a couple of full days (at a minimum) to see the city...

Our cruise on the Millie started in Venice and ended in Barcelona...and we booked two extra nights in each (in addition to the overnight aboard the ship in Barcelona)...

And, as it turns out, our time in Barcelona was pretty jampacked...

We did a ship's city tour on the first day...going to the Sagrada Familia, the Old Cathedral and Montjuic...then we did the Flamenco excursion at night...The next day it was off the ship and to the hotel and we strolled Las Ramblas and toured the Gothic Quarter...The next day, we saw Casa Mila, Casa Battlo and Park Guell...

If we had additional time, day trips to Girona/Figueres or to Monserrat would have been in order...

So, as you can see, one can easily spend a very nice 4 or 5 days...So, book as much extra as you can afford money and time-wise...It's a great city...

Summit, July 3, 2004: Alaska: 13 night cruisetour

Archived