QE2 Quiz

mufi

Thanks to all who have entered so far. Collectively you have got all of them correct, though no on has got all of them individually. Still plenty of time to enter or to add more to previous entries. Results New Years Day.

David.

• 2 weeks later...

The solution to the Quiz is here http://ImageEvent.com/mufi/qe2quiz

There are joint winners - Host Doug 12/13 (missed out only on the Queens Standard) and Shipsoul 12/13 (Panel from Golden Lion pub)

Congratulations to both.

As it is the festive season I will give both a prize which is a complimentary lunch for two in the QE2 Lido, (well do you think I am made of money)

David.

The solution to the Quiz is here http://ImageEvent.com/mufi/qe2quiz

There are joint winners - Host Doug 12/13 (missed out only on the Queens Standard) and Shipsoul 12/13 (Panel from Golden Lion pub)

Congratulations to both.

As it is the festive season I will give both a prize which is a complimentary lunch for two in the QE2 Lido, (well do you think I am made of money)

David.

Holy Cow! These guys are GOOD~

I didn't try, having never been on the queen!

And David- If ya'll will be on the same sailing, I think you owe them each a premium drink of their choice! Perhaps a Single Malt Scotch or a glass of fine bubbly!

Hope this is a wonderful new year for all.

Now, to go check that NYC weather for our sailaway (and my 4 hour drive) on Tuesday. Looks like snow, Monday into Tuesday!

Karie

Well, I must admit that after the standard (obviously) I thought the Golden Lion panel was most difficult - there is a lot of wood (real or fake) on the ship so it took a while to figure out which room this particular color and grain pertained to!

However, I do protest that the standard should be pulled out of the competition - clearly, the image has been rotated ;) .

As it is the festive season I will give both a prize which is a complimentary lunch for two in the QE2 Lido

Ah but David, you promised a better prize for those who have never been aboard ;) ! (Or has Shipsoul never been aboard either?)

Fortunately you can give me a complimentary lunch in the Caronia Restaurant and still not have to pay anything :) .

I do hope Shipsoul is booked on a QE2 voyage though, otherwise you may wind up paying quite a bit to fullfill your promise of a free lunch ;) ! (You know, "there's no such thing as a free lunch" as the saying goes...)

Anyhow, congratulations to my co-winner Shipsoul and to everyone else who competed. (How many contestants were there, David?)

Doug - there were not as many as I would have hoped, but I did get 450 hits on ImagEvent. Maybe folk got wind that you two guys were entering, I still can't believe you got so many.

Let's hope that when you finally get aboard, I am there too. You can stand me that drink.

David.

Congrats Doug.

I got most of the clips from personal photos (Gotta like tjhe high rez, especially for Cahrt room detials). If you thought the quiz was easy, how about adding when the objetcs came onto QE2, and/or where were they origianally?

I'll start:

The tapestries are original to the ship, and were designed by a Canadian - Heklena Banynina Hernmarck. They were first hung open area (D Stair) on Quarter deck lobby of the Columbia (Caronia) Resaurant. They were moved to the current place after the 1994 refit, when I believe the Maurie model was added.

Don Soulsby

SS Norway - 2001

QE2 Trans Atlantic - 2003

QE2 East Med - 2004

QE2 West Ned - 2005

How did they come to be damaged?

Damage was done by drunken crew members earlier this year.

And what is the history behind the Britannia statue?

It used to be in the Britannia Restaurant (not to be confused with Britannia Grill), the original tourist-class restaurant. I think it was moved to its present location when Britannia became Tables of the World in an early refit (1972?).

The first-class restaurant was Columbia, hence Britannia and Columbia, the two continents. This is very similar to a naming strategy which Albert Ballin (chief of Hapag) wanted to use at the turn of the last century - he wanted a pair of ships called AMERIKA and EUROPA. He got AMERIKA, but EUROPA was named after a German royal instead.

Would say more but I must leave in about 15 minutes for JFK to fly to LHR and board QE2 in So'ton tomorrow.

Doug - Bon voyage - you finally made it.

The point about the damage to the tapestries was that I thought they were damaged by faulty cleaning at some time. They surely did not look like that from new. Also if you look at the photograph that the tapestries were based on, displayed along side them it shows Princess Margaret with the Queen. However on the left side tapestry there is no sign of Margaret. Was she there originally or did the artist see into the future?

Pictures of the tapestries here - http://www.imageevent.com/mufi/tapestries

David.

Archived