What to do in Tortola, Grenada, Antigua?!

niki1785

I am leaving on the 8th of January on the Spirit... which leaves only 21 days until sailing! I need some advise on what to do on Tortola, Antigua, and Grenada... I already have plans for St. Thomas, Dominica, and Barbados.

Last year I went to The Baths on Virgin Gorda instead of going to Tortola... this year I would like to stay on Tortola.

I would love some advise on beaches that are good for snorkeling, do or do not rent out beach chairs, and more remote beaches. My fiancé is more of the adventurous type, and I'm a beach bum... so all suggestions would be of great help!

Thanks in advance for all your help!!

:D

I am leaving on the 8th of January on the Spirit... which leaves only 21 days until sailing! I need some advise on what to do on Tortola, Antigua, and Grenada... I already have plans for St. Thomas, Dominica, and Barbados.

Last year I went to The Baths on Virgin Gorda instead of going to Tortola... this year I would like to stay on Tortola.

I would love some advise on beaches that are good for snorkeling, do or do not rent out beach chairs, and more remote beaches. My fiancé is more of the adventurous type, and I'm a beach bum... so all suggestions would be of great help!

Thanks in advance for all your help!!

:D

In Antigua I highly recommend Eli and his tour

http://www.adventureantigua.com/

he takes you all around the island in his boat - check out his site.

In Tortola, after you go to the beach of your choice-this year we're either doing Smugglers Cove or Long Bay Beach-last cruise we did Brewers Bay which was nice. Smugglers is sort of off the beaten path. I have a friend who lives there and she thinks the beach bar may be closed.

Cane Garden bay is nice, but can be crowded. Don't miss Pusser's before you go back to the ship and have a "Painkiller" VERY STRONG!!!

In Grenada we hired a taxi with a bunch from the ship and did a little tour of the island. It's quite scenic. I also did the snorkel tour from the ship 1st. The taxi person will take you to a friend's store where they'll tell you all about the spices they grow there. It's a nice gift to bring home-little samples of the spices.

There's a good (cheap) internet cafe in Grenada also-right along the waterfront.

Have fun!

Tortola - we did the Dolphin Swim. It was worthwhile. You can purchase a video of your group interacting with the dolphins.

Grenada - downtown is not very nice. They need more tourism $$ to enhance the cruise pier area. The best shopping is just off the ship in the pavilion and in the local craft tents just outside the pavilion. We wish we had planned a tour in Grenada. They are still cleaning up from the last hurricane.

Antigua - one of my favorite ports and islands. We rented a villa for a month on Dickinson Bay. Great beaches. Harmony Hall is a nice art gallery. There is nice shopping downtown just off the dock. Hemingway's is a good place for lunch downtown. The Goldsmitty has some interesting jewelry designs. There are generally tours to Nelson's dockyard & English Harbour which are both nice places to see.

Both times we've been to Tortola we've done Virgin Gorda, and I think I'd do it next time too - just love it.

In Antigua we just grabbed a taxi through the gate. It was $20 each for a trip to Shirley Heights, Nelsons's Dockyard , English Harbour & Dow Hill, then we paid an extra $5 each to go to Dickinson's Bay. Our driver was called Laro and arranged to come back and pick us up. He didn't want any money until afterwards, but we paid him half when he dropped us off, and he still came back for us. There are plenty taxi's at Dickinsons anyway and it's a lovely beach. We really enjoyed our day in Antigua.

In Grenada we walked up the steps to the right of the terminal building, which lead up to the Fort. at the top of the steps go left. It was a hot climb with great views. We then walked to the old spice market which is very 'cosy' and the vendors were very polite and pleasant even when you said no. I wish I'd bought the spice garlands as gifts, but just thought I'd get them later.

We then got a water taxi from the new terminal to Grand Anse. Not much fish to see, but a lovely beach.

Others on ur ship took tours inland and said the hurricane damage was more evident there and was heartbreaking. However, they were very glad they did the tours and hoped their $'s helped the economy, even if only in a small way.

Grenada is a lovely island and still has it's own identity, unlike many of the other islands.

Archived