Small ocean ship docking location in Rouen and Honfleur?

comcox

I will be on Cruise and Maritimes ocean cruise ship Astoria in early March which has scheduled stops in both Rouen and Honfleur. The Astoria is a small ship (277 cabins) and we are scheduled to sail into the Seine River but I am trying to figure out where the ship may actually dock in these two ports and what public transport may be nearby.

I will be on Cruise and Maritimes ocean cruise ship Astoria in early March which has scheduled stops in both Rouen and Honfleur. The Astoria is a small ship (277 cabins) and we are scheduled to sail into the Seine River but I am trying to figure out where the ship may actually dock in these two ports and what public transport may be nearby.

I was on a Seine riverboat Cruise from Paris to Normandy. We docked in Rouen, and you were in the city. The boat went no further. We had land excursions to Honfleur and the Normandy beaches. There is a marina in Honfleur.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We've been to Honfleur a few times, but in our car. We have seen boats docked quite near the town. Honfleur is a pretty town with lots of bars, restaurants and shops.

Further afield you can visit Etretat or the DDay beaches, but the most convenient way is by hiring a car. It's very easy driving in this part of the world.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We did both these ports last year with C&M, sailing on Magellan. It was a really lovely cruise.

Free shuttle buses were provided in both ports- about 15 minute drive. Both were walkable, but a good half hour walk. We had an overnight in Rouen and a number of people chose to go into town the evening we docked (there was a son et lumiere show at the cathedral). However no shuttle buses were provided until the following morning, and most had to walk there and back.

We did both these ports last year with C&M, sailing on Magellan. It was a really lovely cruise.

Free shuttle buses were provided in both ports- about 15 minute drive. Both were walkable, but a good half hour walk. We had an overnight in Rouen and a number of people chose to go into town the evening we docked (there was a son et lumiere show at the cathedral). However no shuttle buses were provided until the following morning, and most had to walk there and back.

Thanks Kate. That info was very helpful. For Honfleur I'm looking at doing some of their shore tours that ends with a short walking tour of Honfleur after which passengers have the option taking the tour bus back or staying in town for a while and then making their own way back to the ship.

For Honfleur I'm looking at doing some of their shore tours that ends with a short walking tour of Honfleur after which passengers have the option taking the tour bus back or staying in town for a while and then making their own way back to the ship.

I would think you could get a ticket for the shuttle bus as well as your tour ticket and get the last shuttle back. The tickets weren't timed.

Hope you have a lovely time. We only had a half day stop in Honfleur, could have done with longer but it was really pretty.

In Rouen I went on a ship's tour to Monet's garden, which was somewhere I'd wanted to visit for years. To make sure of a place, I booked it online in advance. I think they tried to cater for everyone who wanted to go on the trip though, as 8 coaches went there from the ship!

I would think you could get a ticket for the shuttle bus as well as your tour ticket and get the last shuttle back. The tickets weren't timed.

Hope you have a lovely time. We only had a half day stop in Honfleur, could have done with longer but it was really pretty.

In Rouen I went on a ship's tour to Monet's garden, which was somewhere I'd wanted to visit for years. To make sure of a place, I booked it online in advance. I think they tried to cater for everyone who wanted to go on the trip though, as 8 coaches went there from the ship!

I looked at that tour but since it will be early March and Europe seems to be having a terrible winter, I didn't think the gardens would offer much. I've never been to Rouen so I planned to just wander around--one of my favorite things to do.

comcox

Money's Garden is worth visiting at any time of year. As you will be in the area in March it will be spring with daffodils and other spring flowers.

The places with bad weather conditions have been in Central Europe, like in the ski resorts, nowhere near Monet's Garden.

comcox

Money's Garden is worth visiting at any time of year. As you will be in the area in March it will be spring with daffodils and other spring flowers.

The places with bad weather conditions have been in Central Europe, like in the ski resorts, nowhere near Monet's Garden.

We are on this cruise as well and it looks like there are no excursions to Monet's Garden (we have booked the one to Calvados as my OH loves the drink they produce). But we have 2 days in Rouen so is it easy to get to the Monet?

Philbeach

I can't answer the transport question as we take our car to France, so don't use public transport. I think it is fairly easy, but if you look on the Rouen Forum you should find your answer there, or ask the question. Somebody on here may also know.

Philbeach

I can't answer the transport question as we take our car to France, so don't use public transport. I think it is fairly easy, but if you look on the Rouen Forum you should find your answer there, or ask the question. Somebody on here may also know.

Thanks! Found a really helpful website run by Giverny volunteers. Monet's Garden closed until 23rd March, shame! But it is really easy to get there from Rouen - train to Vernon (about 40 minutes) then shuttle bus to the Gardens. Maybe next time.....;)