Booking while on board - future cruises

Oh my. There are so many types of credits being discussed here it's no wonder someone might get confused.

Booking next cruise while onboard: C&A membership and status is unrelated to this issue. Anyone booking their next cruise while onboard another receives an onboard credit to be used on the cruise they are booking (not the cruise they are on). The onboard credit ("ship money"--excellent term) depends on the length of the cruise; the longer, the more $$. It's a flat amount per cabin.

C&A Platinum/Diamond balcony discount: This discount, which is per cabin (balcony or suite) and varies by C&A status (possibly by length of cruise too, but I can't recall), is available for all C&A Platinum and Diamond members for balcony/suite cabins, regardless of when/where they book their cruise.

C&A coupon discount: These are coupons in the quarterly C&A magazine. They are ship and cruise specific and are a dollar amount that varies by length of cruise, type of cabin, and the whim of the RCI "powers that be." These coupons have specific time periods for booking and can only be used by C&A members. In most cases, our C&A numbers and names are printed right on the coupons in the magazine. Only one of these can be used per cabin. If there are two coupons in different issues, only the highest dollar amount coupon will be applied; not both. All C&A members can use these coupons. They also can be applied regardless of where the C&A member books the cruise (when does matter, most have dates).

Cruise credits: A cruise credit is what is earned by C&A members on each RCI cruise they take. You must join C&A (it's not automatic) and cannot become a member until after you have completed your first RCI cruise. Then you apply (and you do earn credit for that first cruise). The more cruises/cruise points, the higher your C&A level:

1 to 5 points: Gold member

6 to 10 points: Platinum member

11 to 24 (25?) points: Diamond member

More than 25 points: Diamond Plus member

Cruise points are earned this way:

1 point for any RCI cruise

1 additional point for booking category JS and above (suites)

1 additional point for single cruises 12 nights and longer

Maximum that can be earned on any cruise: 3 points.

Points are awarded to C&A members based on who cruised, not who paid or who made the booking. Only the actual passenger earns the point(s). Children under 18 cannot join C&A, but when they turn 18 may apply for membership and will be credited with all the cruises they took before that. (Just ask Merion Mom's son--he's going to be Diamond when he turns 18. Lucky young man to have such a cool mom.)

So, a C&A Platinum member can book his/her next cruise while onboard and get these benefits (we're going to assume that it's for a suite on a 14 night cruise):

1. Onboard credit for that newly booked cruise, based on length of cruise.

2. Discount on cabin based on C&A membership level (Platinum and above ) (and length of cruise?)

3. C&A coupon for specific dollar amount if one that is valid for the new cruise is issued in a C&A magazine.

4. After that newly booked cruise, 3 C&A points (the maximum per cruise).

This is how cruisers can combine benefits to get the best deal. Some are available for everyone; others are available only for C&A members; others are available only for higher level C&A members.

One last thing. Although RCI and Celebrity are now offering reciprocal benefits for the higher level members, cruise points earned on either cruise line count toward that cruise line's program ONLY. They do not combine the points to give you a higher level. For example, 3 RCI cruise points and 2 Celebrity cruise points are not added together to make 5 cruise points. However, once you reach the second tier with either cruise line, you do receive reciprocal benefits of that level when you cruise on the other line.

I hope this helps clarify some of the different "credits" that have been mentioned here. (And I know I didn't even get into the credit card points here. That's like any other credit card incentive program, only instead of miles or cash back, it's RCI cruise related.)

beachchick

p.s. I know many (if not most) of us know this, but I think the terms can be quite confusing for anyone new to cruising or RCI.

I completed my 24th cruise with RCI this year. When I called to make my reservation for my Feb. cruise, I was told that I am now Diamond Plus status. I talked with someone at C&A and she verified this information. So it is after you complete your 24th cruise with RCI.

Also just a note...we've been cruising with RCI since the early 80's. When they first came out with the loyalty program, our children were young. My son and daughter ended up with Diamond status when they were 12 & 16. They even had the card to prove it! They are both in their 20's now, and don't cruise as much, but still hold those same Diamond numbers. (I know RCI has change the program now, that they must be 18, but it wasn't that way in the beginning)

Archived