What to do in Cabo???

SeaYa52

All my research starts with these wonderful boards - so I could use a little help here - we're taking a snorkle/beach cruise in PV - recommended by PVPam and riding with Randi in Maz....any suggestions for Cabo? Four active adults - 50+ - but we prefer beach/water snorkle activities - with beverages....still trying to contact pirateship/Sutherland to see if they're still doing tours - not booking the whole ship. We'll be there on the Pride - two weeks from today.

PRIDE 06/27/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;06;27;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

'004/12 4/12 PRIDE CRUISEajezine@usa.com

Pride 4/03

Inspiration 7/21/02

Pacific Princess '00

Magesty of the Seas '99

Big Red Boat '98 (cheerleader cruise)

Celebration '97

Norway '91

Southward '88

Sunward II '86

Starward '83

Hello,

Was on the Pride in mid may, our first cruise and first trip to Cabo. We had previously spent a week in PV and a week in Cozumel. To me, Cabo reminded me a lot of Southern California, was not all that impressed. Having said that, DO NOT book snorkle tour through the ship, based on your signature you appear to be a veteran cruiser so you probably already know that, but all of the snorkle expeditions are cattle calls on the "Pez Gato's":

http://www.loscabosguide.com/activity/pezgato1.htm

When you get off the tender at the Marina you walk down the dock and at the end there are about a dozen vendors who will negotiate water taxi tours/snorkeling/glass bottom boat rides etc.

When we were there the water was COLD and clarity was only %55, about 5 feet, HORRIBLE. Since I speak spanish I talked to the skipper and he told me the summer months are horrible for snorkeling as water clarity just isn't there.

I would suggest taking a negotiated boat tour of the various touristy spots in the bay:

-Los Arcos

-Lovers Beach

-Lands End

-Pelican Rock

(((They are all right next to each other, within 1000 yards)))

and have them drop you off on the main beach, playa medano, which most of the hotels front and numerous restaraunts and bars. Have lunch there, most people go to "The OFFICE" but there are a couple more next to it, all on the beach. Done with lunch go downtown to see Cabo Wabo, Gigglin Marlin, Squid Roe, touristy places then head back.

BE WARNED: Prices in town are about the same as in the states as far as food is concerned. In the three stops the Pride makes Cabo is the most expensive for food/beer/Souvenirs. DO NOT WAIT until Cabo to buy Souvenirs as it is expensive and the shop owners won't budge much on price, even if you are mexican and speak spanish like I do.

I think Cabo is OK but maybe we just didn't have enough time to explore the area to find out more about it, but I just wasn't that impressed.

Just my 2 cents..........

Our First Cruise:

Carnival Pride 5/16/04

PV Pam Helped me book this:She is really helpful and will send you lots of info:

Email

Screen Name: PV PAM

Other E-Mail: pmt@prodigy.net.mx

CIELITO LINDO DAY CRUISE

PUERTO VALLARTA

CONFIRMATION

Name Martin

Date of tour Wednesday June 30, 2004

Number of guests 4

Hotel/Ship: Carnival

Amount due at tour 1,600 pesos

INSTRUCTIONS

Please depart the ship no later than 8:45 am. Rather than leaving through the main gate of the terminal marina (where you will be docked), go to the main entrance of the marina...(if the ship docks as is normal, it will be to your left). Look for the sign that says CIELITO LINDO. The person will be either Arturo or German. You can pay them in pesos or USD.

INCLUDES

Continental breakfast, open bar on board, lunch on the beach, snorkeling, kayaking equipment. NOTE: DRINKS ON THE BEACH ARE NOT INCLUDED. Tip for crew is not included.

RECOMMEND

Wear your swimsuit under your clothes. Bring towels, sunscreen, camera, extra money for drinks on the beach.

***BECAUSE YOU WILL BE PAYING AT THE TOUR, THERE WILL PROBABLY BE ALOT OF "VENDORS" TRYING TO GET YOU ON ANOTHER BOAT! BE SURE AND ONLY GO WITH THE SIGN THAT SAYS CIELITO LINDO.

Have Fun!

Pamela Thompson

Puerto Vallarta

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Inbox is protected by SPAMfighter

1524 spam mails have been blocked so far.

Download free SPAMfighter today!

PRIDE 06/27/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;06;27;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Pride 4/03

Inspiration 7/21/02

Pacific Princess '00

Magesty of the Seas '99

Celebration '97

Norway '91

Southward '88

Sunward II '86

Starward '83

Thanks for the info subnuggie - I think we'll just explore Cabo on our own. I appreciate your help.

PRIDE 06/27/04

Pride 4/03

Inspiration 7/21/02

Pacific Princess '00

Magesty of the Seas '99

Celebration '97

Norway '91

Southward '88

Sunward II '86

Starward '83

• 2 months later...

A few questions for you, sbnuggie. Trying to decide between doing RCCL's Land's End with Scenic Drive (to Georgio's Restaurant) ... or picking up a water tour at the dock for $10 pp. We'd like to see the usual sites: Los Arcos, Land's End, Pelican Rock, Lover's Beach. Whichever we choose, we have to go to Cabo Wabo afterward. :D

I have read that the water can be very choppy. I'm one that has a low tolerance for bobbing away in the ocean (:eek: <--here's what I look like when I do). I plan to double up on my meclizine while in Cabo, but I'm wondering how long the negotiated tour was that you took (RCCL's water tour is 45 minutes ... I think I can hold out that long :rolleyes: ).

If we get a tour at the dock, do the guides wait for a full boat to tour, or can we expect to get a private tour (there are only 2 of us). Thinking if the swells get the better of me, I have a better chance of getting him to head back if we don't have a boat load of paying customers with us.

Maybe I should just go to Cabo Wabo first ... then I won't even notice the bobbing! drinkers.gif

Thanks for your help!

Diz:)

We just got back from the riviera yesterday. Had a great time in Cabo. We went parasailing through JT Watersports and then had the boat driver drop us off at The Office for lunch. The food was fantastic! From there, we walked about 20 feet to a place called The Mango Deck, and that's as far as we made it into Cabo. :D Drinks were 2 for 1 all day. They set us up with an umbrella and kept bringing iced buckets of beer all afternoon. The beach and the water were very nice. It is a vendor area though, so you have to say No Gracias a lot, but we did buy a few things there. For a really good time look out for the guy dressed up as a bandito, with a vest full of shot glasses and two holsters - one holding a bottle of Cuervo and the other holding the "good stuff". Go for the good stuff, and make sure someone has a camera.. That adds some zest to the afternoon.. :D We had a great time there. Here's a link for a web cam that is at the Mango Deck.. http://www.allaboutcabo.com/index.html

We were in Cabo the same time as Steve in Mexico...actually parasailed with them. YOU HAVE TO PARASAIL with JT Watersports.....and lunch at The Office is a must! Excellent food.....the margaritas are 2 for the price of 1 after 1:00 or 1:30. We stumbled to the water taxi after that.

Kathy (kb805)

Archived