Blue Lagoon Island Stingray Encounter and Beach Break

Meh. We just did this excursion a few weeks ago and thought it was “eh”. My 8 year old and 5 year old loved it, but my husband and I were not impressed.

First of all, once we got off the Anthem the process to get to Blue Lagoon was painful. Lots of waiting for your excursion to be called and zero communication regarding where to go or which staff member to follow.

Once at Blue Lagoon your “encounter”with the stingrays was about 30 seconds per person - just enough time for the photo op. You pet the sting ray and kiss the sting ray (yes, kiss the sting ray) and that’s it. Then you have time to snorkel in the corral where the sting rays and some fish are held.

The best part of the day was that we wandered to the other side of the area and ended up hanging out on a beautiful and quiet beach for the rest of our time there. It was secluded and gorgeous, but the surf was too rough to get fully into the ocean.

The process to get back to the pier was not ideal. They had us waiting in a non shaded area for about 20 minutes before letting us board the tender. None of us had any idea why they wouldn’t let us just sit on the shaded boat instead of making us stand like cattle in line.

I would not recommend this unless you have kids that are dying to pet a sting ray.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We did a sea lion excursion at Blue Lagoon around 5 years ago. It was the highlight of our trip. We did not book through the cruise line however. The trip to and from the island was very enjoyable and the island itself was beautiful. Besides the sea lions we didn't use any of the other amenities (and I'm sure it would have cost extra). We did a stingray excursion just this past December in Grand Cayman which was an amazing experience but a little scary. Those things swimming all around you is off putting. My teen daughter got so panicked she had to get back of the boat early and just watch. I was close to joining her.

We did a sea lion excursion at Blue Lagoon around 5 years ago. It was the highlight of our trip. We did not book through the cruise line however. The trip to and from the island was very enjoyable and the island itself was beautiful. Besides the sea lions we didn't use any of the other amenities (and I'm sure it would have cost extra). We did a stingray excursion just this past December in Grand Cayman which was an amazing experience but a little scary. Those things swimming all around you is off putting. My teen daughter got so panicked she had to get back of the boat early and just watch. I was close to joining her.

Stingray encounter is nothing like the hundreds swimming freely around you at Grand Cayman. Or getting a 3' diameter ray dropped on your back when you are not looking. But if you think of these things as big kittens they can be a lot of fun. Soft and rubbery. Amazing creatures. They eat by vacuuming the food (squid) out of your hand.

• Like 1