Cozumel Ferry Only every 2 hours/Paradise Beach

ShamrockFL

We were there this past Friday. If you are travelling to the mainland, be aware that the ferry to mainland was only running every two hours rather than every one hour. Since they just missed one ferry, our daughter and hubby had to cancel their trip to Puerta Adventuras to see the dolphins. They didn't feel they could risk not getting back with that time schedule.

We went to Paradise Beach with kids and had a good time. Unfortunately the weather was not the greatest that day - very overcast, but we had fun there. They have done a good recovery job at PB in a short time. We actually made out very well as it poured in downtown Cozumel whereas we stayed dry just a few miles away. Radiance provided taxi vouchers to downtown from where we docked if you wanted to go that direction.

Bruce,

Thank you for responding. I have a silly question for you, since you were just there. Our ship is to port at 8 am and we have an 11 am reservation at Puerto Aventuras (the only time they had available) - do you think i have any chance of making it there in 3 hours? If we can't it is NOT a big deal, I would just like to make other plans in Coz and not waste time trying to get to the mainland. Thanks for any input and opinions!

Bruce,

Thank you for responding. I have a silly question for you, since you were just there. Our ship is to port at 8 am and we have an 11 am reservation at Puerto Aventuras (the only time they had available) - do you think i have any chance of making it there in 3 hours? If we can't it is NOT a big deal, I would just like to make other plans in Coz and not waste time trying to get to the mainland. Thanks for any input and opinions!

I don't know if I'm really the right person to ask since I think that no one should pay to swim with captive dolphins. Keeping intelligent marine creatures captive for tourist entertainment is just wrong, IMO.

If you really want to do the swim, then your best choice is to go thru the ship's excursion. That will get you directly to the mainland since you won't have to go to Cozumel first to catch the ferry. I can't predict the ferry schedule, so I don't know if 3 hours is enough time. If you get there at 8:00 you will miss the 8:00 am ferry. If there isn't one at 9:00, then the next one might be at 10:00. The crossing takes 30-35 minutes. Can you get from PDC to the place in the time left? If you do make the 9:00 am ferry, you should be able to make the 11:00 swim time.

Good luck whatever you choose.

This has been the ferry schedule for a couple of weeks now:

leaving Cozumel to Playa

6, 8, 9, 10, 12, 2, 4, 5, 6, 8, 10

leaving Playa to Cozumel

7, 9, 10, 11, 1, 3, 5, 6, 7, 9, 11

I take it that since you are asking about the ferry, that you have booked this on your own. The cost is $110 pesos or about $11 us one way. You need to figure in the taxi cost to the fiscal pier if you don´t tender into there. Then the taxi cost to Puerta Adventuras. It adds up quickly! If you have booked this through the ship, then just make sure you get on the tender for the mainland tours so you don´t get left behind.

Bruce,

thank you very much for your reply even though you don't agree with our excursion choice. Swimming with dolphins really has never been something I cared about either way - but apparently it's been a dream of my DH and I feel I need to let him do it. Personally, I would rather spend my day laying on the beach soaking up the sun. But I genuinely appreciate your reply:)

Solita,

Thank you so much for the schedule and pointing out the costs involved. I knew the price of the ferry, but hadn't considered the costs of all the taxis I would need. I am trying to talk my DH out of doing this or even waiting until a "later" date and this information will definitely help. You are always very helpful on this board - thanks! :D

Thanks for the heads up! My DH is so looking forward to going on the Dolphin Swim and would be really sad if we missed it!

The dolphin park in Cozumel is closed thanks to hurricane Wilma. They told us it would not open back up until at least March.

FYI, Dolphin Discovery has 3 locations in Mexico.The one in Cozumel is closed until at least March 2006.That one is at Chaankanaab Park. The other ones are at Cancun ( Isla Mujeres) & Puerto Aventuras on the mainland. You can do the swim at the other locations, but have to take the ferry over to the mainland and take taxis to the parks.It all depends on how much time you are in port to be able to do this.:) Jaxson

the reason the normal ferry schedule is different is to accommodate the cruisers. the ferries are being used as tenders thus inconveniencing the land based tourists and the locals. if you are doing a ship excursion that requires a trip to the mainland he ferry wil most likely go directly from the ship to the mainland. that's what they were doing two weeks ago.

Bruce,

I wouldn't thnk you will make it. We were due to dock at 10, but by the time everthing got settled and our daughter caught the first tender, and made their way to the ferry, they just missed the noon ferry and would have had to wait until 2 pm for the next one. That will give you an idea of the way time can get away from you. I don't believe our ship (RCL - Radiance) offerred the dolphin swim as a tour, probably because of having to take people to PA for it. I would concentrate on making other Cozumel arrangements.

Bruce,

when are you going to be there? some people are worried about what the tenders are going to be doing in March or April which is just crazy since there is no way to tell. wait until its close to the time of yoour cruise to worry about details like which fery you are going to take. alot can and will change in the months to come.

when are you going to be there? some people are worried about what the tenders are going to be doing in March or April which is just crazy since there is no way to tell. wait until its close to the time of yoour cruise to worry about details like which fery you are going to take. alot can and will change in the months to come.

I will be there in 2 weeks. I will "play it by ear" when we get there -- but like others, I have serious doubts that there will be time to make it to the mainland in time.

Thank you for everyone's help! :)

I agree with bruce-r, keeping dolphins captive purely for profit-making reasons is not something that should be supported. My concerns have been heightened by allegations of mistreatment of the dolphins that were in Atlantida on Cozumel since Wilma and I have also heard questions raised about Dolphin Discovery too - and not just their operation in Cozumel. Regardless of the ferry situation I would hope this is reason enough for most people to give the caged dolphins a miss...

Okay... enough of the politics....!

Whatever your opinion you may like to know that a Mexican newspaper recently reported that although Chankanaab Park should be open by February, the privately operated dolphin attraction inside (Dolphin Discovery) is not expected to resume full operations until June - see "Big investment in natural parks" on my site for more...

Ian

Archived