Music volumes at 'Sail-a-way' and in the theatres on Cunard

FTnumbers

That's ok Bell Boy.

Just spoken to my daughter and she reeled off a list of singers/dancers she knows personally who have performed on Cunard and Britannia. My poor old brain failed to keep count though during the phone conversation!

The contracts are all short term and none of the performers has continued employment. Typically, the contract is a maximum of 14 months. Every member of every cast has to audition (with a very few emergency exceptions), then attend training for 2 months, so nobody can transfer from one ship to another, unless a cast member takes ill or is fired, which is very rare.

... and the most impressive theatre that I've ever seen at sea.

The theatre has a rise and fall stage at the front and a rotating area at the back.

Not sure about the QE and QV, but I know the QM2 theater stage also has these features as I observed them being used in shows during our December BTB crossings.

Not sure about the QE and QV, but I know the QM2 theater stage also has these features as I observed them being used in shows during our December BTB crossings.
Correct BobBranst,

QM2's Royal Court Theatre stage has an orchestra pit that can be raised flush with the stage, or lowered so that the musicians drop from sight, a large central "revolve", and within that circle, three rectangular platforms that can be raised or lowered to become steps, or a single raised area.

All these effects (and more) were used (sometimes all at once it seemed) during the show "Rock at the Opera" in the early years of QM2's life.

I agree with the above comments. I admit that even if the volume was lower, most of the "big shows" would not be to my taste. Every six voyages or so we attend one of the shows in futile hope that there will be something we can enjoy. On our October crossing we went to one show and it started well, with ladies in gowns and gents in white tie and tails accompanied by waltz music at a reasonable volume. Within a few minutes it became a rock show. Aisle seats make for a hasty and unobtrusive exit.

I used to attend sail-aways when there was a brass band quayside or some suitable music on the tannoy, but in the past many years it is just a noise.

Two and a half years ago we had a cruise with Holland America. The racket was worse. There was only one alternative (a violin and piano duo) to the ear-splitting noise in any entertainment venue. I get a chuckle from those who say that HAL is stuffy. Fortunately Cunard has entertainment to suit all tastes and it is easy to avoid that which does not appeal.

I have read this thread with interest - but the funniest part was this post referring to HAL entertainment as "racket". I believe that was being charitable. Worst thing I had ever seen, in every venue when I went this fall.

Best entertainment on any ship for me is Disney - who actually has the Broadway performers from their shows performing on their ships, elaborate sets, pyrotechnics, amazing costumes and wonderful music. I never noticed it being loud, though. But I enjoy a few of Cunard's shows, when they have the dancing.