12/3 through 12/10 review of Caribbean Princess

jdwutzke

Our group (mostly family) flew in to Ft. Lauderdale the night before the cruise and stayed at the Comfort Suites Airport on Davie Road. Almost as soon as I got off the phone in baggage claim they were outside ready to pick us up. We were a group of sixteen so they had to make two trips but were settled in fast in our three suites. The hotel was very clean and extremely helpful in arranging for our transfer to the port the next day at noon. On the way to the port the driver asked if we would need to be transported to the airport when coming back into Ft. Lauderdale and offered to pick us up (with a trailer for luggage) for $7.00 per person. He gave us his card and this was arranged for return. It took us about an hour to go through embarkation but we were happy with so many of us. Our names had to be changed for three of the cabins and I was not looking forward to this but went straight to the pursers desk to deal with it. I was totally amazed at the cooperation in this regard. We gave names for the proper arrangement of cabins and were told to go ahead to those cabins and check back the next day for new cards. So we began enjoying our cruise with less stress than I had anticipated. We explored the ship, ate, and went through the lifeboat drill with ease.

The first evening we enjoyed the seafood buffet and ate way too much. I was in complete awe at the MUTS. I was not expecting to be impressed but it is a very relaxing enjoyable experience and enjoyed it several times during the cruise with some of my grandchildren.

I have to tell you that this was my 13th cruise, first with Princess. I have the attitude that the cruise is the best thing that I have ever done and will not have a bad attitude about one. I call it the Perfect Woman's Vacation.

My son brought his wife and two young daughters, one 2 1/2, one only 1. We were overwhelmed by the attention these two received. The one-year old is a very messy eater and we felt bad about it but nobody seemed to mind and cleaned it up with a smile. We were stopped every few feet by the crew to talk to them and the girls loved it.

My grandson, who is 13 got involved in all the group activities for his age and had the time of his life. He wore himself out just having a ball.

We had an outside cabin, myself and my niece and two of her friends, with obstructed view but it was hardly obstructed at all.

We enjoyed anytime dining and ate once in the Italian restaurant. It was a very interesting experience to taste so many differents things. I love the anytime dining and ate several small meals a day. We all enjoyed the grill and pizza aft of the ship, food was very good.

Our cabin steward (Rui) got us robes to use and was very attentive the whole cruise. But the person that stands out in my mind was the girl at the pursers desk. Her name is Gemma (sp?) I cannot tell you how helpful she was with the problem with the cabin name changes, the charging as a result of the name changes, and a few other small things. I have never in all the cruises I have been on seen such a helpful person.

I am a small-ship advocate and I was very surprised to fall in love with such a huge ship and the crew and will no doubt sail her again. This ship is beautiful and I believe them when they say it has the small-ship feel. We never had any problem getting off the ship at the ports or tendering at Princess Cays. Our young ones enjoyed every aspect of the ship right along with us and we were all treated very well. The entertainment was also very enjoyable. There was a comedian, the show Pianoman (excellent show, my two granddaughters enjoyed it immensly), a husband-wife due known as Kimika which were very talented and very funny. I bought their CD and am enjoying it now.

Ports: I had read many things here about St. Thomas so was going to look for a bus to take us to Red Hook when we got off the boat. We walked past Havensight and a cab driver kept bugging us and I said with such a large group we couldn't afford him. He finally offered to take us to Red Hook and pick us up upon return for $6 per person roundtrip and we grabbed it. We had to wait a few minutes at Red Hook, then boarded the ferry for St. John. We took a small bus to Trunk Bay and spent several hours there. Then back to Cruz Bay and the ferry and the cab driver picked us up at Red Hook. The total cost per person was $30, including the admittance to Trunk Bay. We paid nothing for the two infants. (I did stop at Woody's Bar in Cruz Bay and get a Limin Coconut, it was awesome). We got back to the ship, showered, got back off and shopped before final boarding to be on our way.

St. Martin; I had rented three vehicles for our group to do their own thing at Best Deal Car Rentals. Walked off the ship, turned right and found them easy. We all went different directions. We first went to Orient Beach, walked around but the wind was really strong that day and the little ones were having a bad time with it so we kept driving. We drove through all of the French side, Marigot, and then found Maho Bay. It was really awesome and we stayed there for some time playing in the water and watching the planes come and go. When we got back to the lot for the car (it is behind the town area of Philipsburg) the man told us to go ahead and shop and come back to the car and he would take us to the port, which we did. It was a great day and got to see the whole island for $26 per person and nothing for the two babies, again.

Princess Cays: Had a very easy, relaxing day, enjoyed being in the water, didn't like the lunch served as much as the food onboard. This turned out to be the best shopping we did the whole trip but we are not rich and got many small souvenirs and little bags for those back home with their names on them.

Disembarkation was very easy and the people picked us up as requested and took us to the airport.

Part of our group really like Skywalkers and were up there nearly every evening. I enjoyed the entertainment, the MUTS, the champagne waterfall and the cruise as a whole.

Hi, thanks for all the info. We will be a group of 11 and I liked hearing your comments about all the diverse areas of the ship. Do you have the name and phone number of the driver that brought you to and from the ship in Ft. Lauderdale. That would be very helpful for our group. Thanks!

Archived