Military operation in Jamaica

stuart3380

I would love to hear what the cruise lines are saying about this. I would think that many passengers are concerned. Then again, if more people stay on the ship, then they would stand to make more money on board the cruise ship. Still on the fence about leaving to go to the local beach, Burwood beach. I am sure Margaritaville will be jam packed.

I was in Jamacia just a few days ago on Carnival (Wednesday to be exact) It was very safe feeling.

You are inside a protected secured area. There are booths where you can buy souvenirs. If you go outside the secured area there are police on the streets. I went outside the protected area to a few shops and no one approached me. I felt safe. You have to show a cruise room key to come back inside the protected area.

All tour vans leave and return from inside this protected area. Once you are on the road no one bothered us. We were up in the mountains for the zip lines, 4 wheelers and float trip. No one bothered us at all. The van drivers driver very aggressively, I think they would do well in Vegas or NY driving LOL.

Go and have fun... I am 62 years old, female, traveling alone and I felt very safe in Jamacia.

You can read my review of my cruise I just got home from and there are pictures of the float trip

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2588442

Thanks to all who posted links. What is the thinking of people who will have Jamaica as a port stop within the next few weeks? Are people deciding to stay on the ship or restrict their movements to just the port area? Feel sorry for the law abiding citizens who are caught up in all of this.

I'm not planning on leaving the port area.

We were to go there on a cruise that leaves in a week. I had planned to step outside the gate and get a cab and go to Burwood Beach. I thought I finally had a plan. I had shoulder surgery not too long ago so I am limited to what I can do. Now I am unsure what to do. If this is such a dangerous situation, wouldn't the cruiseline find another port to go to? Also, how far from Falmouth has this violent activity been taking place? Thank you for all your information. :)

I just got off the phone with Carnival and asked them why I haven't been notified about a US Gov't travel advisory to Jamaica. I was told they are watching the situation closely and the advisory was for local residents. I corrected her right away but it sounds like Carnival is going there anyway.