Need we beware Viking air?

SraJ

Hi,

That would certainly make sense. Unfortunately we didn’t extend on either end of the trip. Straight into Bergen and straight out of London. So, not really sure where the extra $100 comes from on the Airplus. We have used Viking many times and have always been extremely happy with the cruise and level of service from Viking. IMO no other cruise line comes out ahead of Viking. So, the $100 charge is not a deal breaker but just a charge that didn’t make a lot of sense to me. We are looking forward to the Fjord cruise!

We booked this as well (June 30) and after looking at the flight options for going into Bergen a day early, we decided not to risk whatever connections Viking air would give us so we booked flights on our own. Counting down the days....

Hi,

That would certainly make sense. Unfortunately we didn’t extend on either end of the trip. Straight into Bergen and straight out of London. So, not really sure where the extra $100 comes from on the Airplus. We have used Viking many times and have always been extremely happy with the cruise and level of service from Viking. IMO no other cruise line comes out ahead of Viking. So, the $100 charge is not a deal breaker but just a charge that didn’t make a lot of sense to me. We are looking forward to the Fjord cruise!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just a guess on my part, but I think I remember that cruises in/out of Bergen were not originally available for Air Plus. Maybe when they added the feature there, they just deemed it more costly to Viking (more time required for the staff ?) or just more in demand ( thus able to charge more?). I always like to know the explanation for things, and even as another big Viking fan, I have a hard time figuring this one out.

Just a guess on my part, but I think I remember that cruises in/out of Bergen were not originally available for Air Plus. Maybe when they added the feature there, they just deemed it more costly to Viking (more time required for the staff ?) or just more in demand ( thus able to charge more?). I always like to know the explanation for things, and even as another big Viking fan, I have a hard time figuring this one out.

So, while we’re deciding on whether or not to spend the extra money to use Airplus, Viking booked our flights. We were very pleasantly surprised. The flights aren’t bad. Although we have 2 stops on the way to Bergen we get in at 10 AM. We don’t have a direct flight home but only 1 stop. Certainly could be much worse. We will keep these flights. All’s well that ends well.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are on the Barcelona to Rome itinerary departing March 17. This is our first experience with Viking - Amawaterways for a couple of river cruises and a few other ocean cruise lines in Alaska / Caribbean. With AMA we booked our air independently however I was enticed by Vikings low airfare -may regret though. Our itinerary has us only with a 1 hour 5 minute layover in Detroit upon our return and we are booked on the last flight out of Detroit to KC that night (Sat). I have loads of Southwest points due to lots of business travel so I am going to be defensive and book an early flight from Detroit to KC for Sun morning and make backup plans with the house sitter for Sat evening. When I called Viking expressing my concern on the tight connection she assured me we would find fine because the layover guideline was 1 hour. Hope she is right ;).

I’m very familiar with the Detroit airport. One hour should work if you’re staying in one terminal. (There are two main terminals, connected by shuttle.) Do you know what airlines you will be flying in and out of Detroit on?