Moho Beach Update

OleSkule

The hurricane displaced a lot of the sand on the beach, but it is coming back. From Driftwood Bar to about 2/3 of the way down the beach, including in front of the runway, there is plenty of sand. For the other 1/3, closer to Sunset Bar, it is large boulders and not really suitable for setting up blankets or lounge chairs.

The planes are landing and taking off at the airport as before, but there are fewer large planes from the US and Europe than there were pre-Irma.

Can anyone give me an update to the conditions on Moho Beach after the hurricane?

This beach is notorious for disappearing and reappearing. It's never the best beach on the island. Maho is known as the beach adjacent to the airport and the planes are the draw. As mentioned by another poster there are far fewer larger planes at this time and that will continue until the resorts and timeshares are back up and running and the land vacationers return. It's fair to say that the numbers will not be increasing a lot until at least next fall.

Do you know if you can still rent umbrellas and chairs?

There were a small number of chairs and umbrellas available just outside of Driftwood Bar on the north end of the beach. I would say less that a dozen total. I don't know if you can just rent them or if they are part of a food/drink option at Driftwood.

The chairs and umbrellas that used to be outside of Sunset Bar are no longer there since the sand has temporarily washed away and the area is just big rocks.

There are plenty of chairs and umbrellas ($5 each) at Mullet Bay - a 15 minute walk north of Maho Beach.

A little off topic but, I remember the last time I was there, there was discussion about a bridge that is between Phillipsburg and Maho Beach. The bridge opens and closes for boat and car traffic. Is this bridge still an issue? Is there a schedule for when the bridge is not open to vehicular traffic? It was not an issue when we were there. Maybe we just timed it right?

A little off topic but, I remember the last time I was there, there was discussion about a bridge that is between Phillipsburg and Maho Beach. The bridge opens and closes for boat and car traffic. Is this bridge still an issue? Is there a schedule for when the bridge is not open to vehicular traffic? It was not an issue when we were there. Maybe we just timed it right?

This is a great question. Road traffic is far less than before Irma. Less islanders and vacationers on the island than normal. Are larger boats using the Simpson Bay Lagoon yet?( the bridge opens for boats to go between the sea and the Lagoon). There were lots boats that sank in the Simpson Bay Lagoon during Irma so I am not sure of the answer. We did not see even one bridge opening when we visited for 8 days over New Years.