Escape – January 13-20, Haven – The Outstanding, The Good and the Meh

xznwfd

This was my first NCL cruise, and we (my best friend and I,who take a cruise together every year) decided to go big or go home. So, we booked an aft Penthouse suite on the Escape so we could experience the wonders of the Haven. In summary:

OUTSTANDING

The Haven! What a concept, it was truly a haven from the commotion of the ship itself. Loved the private restaurant, bar, and pool areas (and the cover for the pool area – needed on this trip).

Haven restaurant – amazing food, amazing service. They learn your names on the first day, andthe rest of the trip was Madam Cathy, Madam Joan everywhere we went.

Haven bar – Wonderful bartenders. They would make up drinks for me based on theingredients I liked (Pimms in particular) and they were amazing.

Haven Concierge – We had Anoop, and he was everything aconcierge should be. Loved him.

Aft Penthouse Suite – best room we have ever had. Deck was HUGE, could have held Dancing with the Stars competitions out there. Heard no noise from any other rooms, and liked the door between the bedroom and living room (we took turns in the Big Girl Bed in the bedroom and the fold out couch in the living room). So quiet,even if one of us was watching TV, you couldn’t hear a thing in the other room. We also loved having 2 full bathrooms – so convenient when we both wanted to shower at the same time. Second shower was small, but perfectly serviceable.

Our Room Attendant – Kaydak. He was awesome! Great towel animals, always serviced our room quickly and took excellent care of us.

Tobacco Road – What a great bar. Wonderful bartenders, great perfectly made cocktails. Favorite place outside the Haven

Boarding process – Best. Ever. On the ship about 30 minutes after walking through the doors of the terminal, and that includes having a snack in the Haven check in area.

Ultimate Beverage Package - first time having this, and loved the freedom of it.

GOOD

The specialty restaurants. We had the 3 free package, and went to Cagneys, Le Bistro and LaCucina. Our favorite was Le Bistro –great food and service. Cagneys was the least favorite, Joan said her fillet was dry, and that the one in the Haven was much better. Cagneys was also loud but the service was very good and we did enjoy it. La Cucina was also very good – we had read some negative reviews of the food but we found it excellent (and my boyfriend the Melancholy Italian and I spend a lot of time in New York and eat at some amazing Italian restaurants there).

O’Sheeans – really good service, and surprisingly good food. We had lunch there one day and although it was busy, we had an excellent waiter who made it a fun meal.

Ship layout – we found it easy to find our way, although a midship stairway and/or elevator would have been useful. We loved the fish in the carpet, so helpful in determining whether we were going aft or forward. Since our suite was in the aft of the ship and the Haven was in the front, we logged a lot of steps but the fish kept us going in the right direction.

Photos – Really good pictures, first time we have bought any in years. Loved the way they kept all your photos together in a book and thought they were reasonably priced.

The Brat Pack Show – really liked this one! The 80’s were our generation, so the music was great and the entertainers excellent.

Thermal Spa – we didn’t buy a package, but saw it on the spa tour. It’s beautiful, with huge bright windows and plenty of space. Much nicer than the spa on the newer Princess ships, which is dark and enclosed.

Margaritaville – We got to eat here for free on the first day’s lunch, and enjoyed it. The volcano nachos were good, if way too big, and the margaritas were excellent.

NCL transfers to the airport – we used this on the way back from the ship to MIA, and thought the $16 each price was very reasonable. Our taxis from MIA to our hotel and to the ship were $50 each way.

MEH

Our butler Jefferson. We only saw him 3-4 times over the whole week, despite his first day promise to check on us 3-4 times a DAY. When we did see him, he made sure to tell us how busy he was. He did bring treats, but nothing personalized, just whatever was available. He also never refilled our requested lemonade and ice tea in ourfridge. We did tip him, but tipped our room attendant just as much as an extra because he was so good. This could have been because we were located so far from the Haven, but didn't feel the butler provided any service we couldn't live without.

The Itinerary – We had booked for the Eastern Caribbean, and ended up with Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Great Stirrup Cay and Nassau due to the hurricanes. We had poor weather, not the fault of NCL, but if we hadn’t been in the Haven it would have been a real bummer of a trip. Jamaica is just not a great port if you don’t dock at Ochos Rios, since we had a very long (1.5 hours on the way back due to traffic) ride to our tubing and beach excursion. Bamboo Beach was really not worth the trip, although we did like the tubing part. We paid for the VIP experience and didn’t see a thing different between our treatment and those who paid for the regular excursion. They need more restrooms! We did like our guide Amoy very much, she was darling. Didn’t make GSC due to the wind, and so spent the night in Nassau, one of my least favorite ports ever.

The crowds – Escape is the biggest ship we have been on, and I don’t think I would have enjoyed it nearly as much if we hadn’t been in the Haven. I don’t like masses of people, and the pool area was especially loud and crowded. They did agood job of portioning folks into the different areas of the ship but there area LOT of people on board.

Overall, a wonderful trip and I’m another Haven convert. It was completely worth the extra money to me (especially after a less than stellar 2017) and I think all future NCL trips will be in the Haven. If anyone has any questions, just ask away!

Cathy

Aft Penthouse Suite – best room we have ever had. Deck was HUGE, could have held Dancing with the Stars competitions out there. Heard no noise from any other rooms, and liked the door between the bedroom and living room (we took turns in the Big Girl Bed in the bedroom and the fold out couch in the living room). So quiet,even if one of us was watching TV, you couldn’t hear a thing in the other room. We also loved having 2 full bathrooms – so convenient when we both wanted to shower at the same time. Second shower was small, but perfectly serviceable.

Balcony size differs depending on which deck.

Master bedroom/master bathroom configuration also differs.

Which deck/stateroom was yours?

This could have been because we were located so far from the Haven, but didn't feel the butler provided any service we couldn't live without.

The butler that works the H6s only works that section. He/she doesn't serve those located elsewhere. The location wasn't the problem....the butler was. :(

We were in an aft suite on ESCAPE a few years back (9918), and I couldn't agree with you more regarding the butler. I've never really understood the purpose of them. When I think back, aside from the snacks he would bring, I can't really remember anything he did for us. Did not add anything to an otherwise pleasant experience.

Our Room Attendant – Kaydak. He was awesome! Great towel animals, always serviced our room quickly and took excellent care of us.

Cathy

Well hello neighbor! I do believe you were next door to my husband and I, if you were in the cabin that was on the starboard side, as we were in 12908. I have to agree, Kaydak was wonderful! He made himself know to us immediately, before we even sailed away. I think the location of our rooms was the best!

2 Wheels only - we were on Deck 12. My travel agent picked that one because it has the largest balcony after Deck 9.

Debala715 - We were your neighbors! Enjoyed talking to you guys when we were all on our fabulous balconies. Kaydak rules! :D We would have been perfectly happy with just him and no butler.

2 Wheels only - we were on Deck 12. My travel agent picked that one because it has the largest balcony after Deck 9.

I was in 12306 (port side H6). The reason that I asked is because people reading your review might not be aware that not all balconies are as large as deck 12.

Also, those who book a H6 on deck 11 or 14 (on Escape or Bliss) would have a different bedroom/master bathroom configuration known as Configuration B vs. Configuration A on deck 12, 9, 10, 13, 15.

Balcony size differs depending on which deck.

Master bedroom/master bathroom configuration also differs.

Which deck/stateroom was yours?

The butler that works the H6s only works that section. He/she doesn't serve those located elsewhere. The location wasn't the problem....the butler was. :(

I usually am in the haven and truly have not had anything much done by a butler but every one of them has told me how busy they are lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We’ve stayed IN Haven (2 bdrm) and in Aft Penthouse twice. The difference is night and day in the Butler service. The Aft was also very disappointing and we too had excuse after excuse. When we were in the Haven suite, it was what we thought it should be and they were very much ‘present’.

This May we’re going to try the forward Penthouse with hopes that the proximity to Haven forward will improve the service. If anyone has feedback on Butlers in the Forward Penthouses please share.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

We’ve stayed IN Haven (2 bdrm) and in Aft Penthouse twice. The difference is night and day in the Butler service. The Aft was also very disappointing and we too had excuse after excuse. When we were in the Haven suite, it was what we thought it should be and they were very much ‘present’.

Interesting because I usually stay in 2 bedroom suite and we were told there were demanding families in the aft that were taking their time up lol

I was in an H7 (forward facing) on deck 13 on this sailing. While the room steward was just OK (nothing special, just cleans up twice a day), Our butler Ray (for short) was more friendly and would deliver the daily treats at about 2pm each day. On day one we asked to keep the coffee pods stocked and to bring milk for the coffee and both were constantly refilled after each use. We ordered room service a few times and he was always cheery and helpful.

Also of note the H7 on deck 13 on Escape had a significantly larger living room area than the same cabin on deck 10 of Getaway. The space between sofa and TV wall was nearly double. Does anyone have the cheat sheet on cabin sizes for H7s on the 'Aways and Escape?

This May we’re going to try the forward Penthouse with hopes that the proximity to Haven forward will improve the service. If anyone has feedback on Butlers in the Forward Penthouses please share.

We have stayed in the haven forward suite on the Escape. I agree the butler service is nothing like that of having a suite in the Haven where our butler was always close by. Our butler was ok, he stopped in to check on us several times per day but we didnt need much from him. The suite is roomy but lacks balcony space. My preference is to be IN the Haven but sometimes it is quite a saving to stay in either aft or forward suites. We are doing the Panama Canal cruise on the Bliss in May and have selected a Haven aft penthouse. It was several thousand dollars less than an H5 (penthouse suite located in haven). I think the large balcony will make up for not being in the Haven.

apietros - I don't think Maria was the maitre’d in the Haven restaurant on our cruise - I think we had the assistant Maitre'd Diana from the Philippines. She was wonderful!

Good to know it wasn't just us who thought our butler wasn't what we expected. We asked him for nothing other than the lemonade/iced tea for the fridge, so we were not "demanding aft passengers". ;)

Jefferson was our butler back in November....we were in a Forward-Facing Penthouse.

We were very happy with him. In addition to the awesome snacks every afternoon, we'd see him at least one other time a day, checking on us. He never complained about being busy.

Sorry to hear your experience with him was different.

• 6 months later...
I was in 12306 (port side H6). The reason that I asked is because people reading your review might not be aware that not all balconies are as large as deck 12.

Also, those who book a H6 on deck 11 or 14 (on Escape or Bliss) would have a different bedroom/master bathroom configuration known as Configuration B vs. Configuration A on deck 12, 9, 10, 13, 15.

I’m on the Escape in haven aft suite on deck 11 in October. what is the different configuration?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I’m on the Escape in haven aft suite on deck 11 in October. what is the different configuration?

For Configuration B, the master bathroom (larger) is near the balcony and has a view of the balcony and ocean from the bathroom. There is no 2nd access door to the balcony, though.

The master bedroom (smaller) doesn't have natural light.

The livingroom/bathroom side of the suite is the same for all. Port and starboard are mirror images of each other so things could be on the left or the right depending on which corner of the ship that you are staying.

For Configuration B, the master bathroom (larger) is near the balcony and has a view of the balcony and ocean from the bathroom. There is no 2nd access door to the balcony, though.

The master bedroom (smaller) doesn't have natural light.

The livingroom/bathroom side of the suite is the same for all. Port and starboard are mirror images of each other so things could be on the left or the right depending on which corner of the ship that you are staying.

Thank you!!! I was hoping that was the configuration! That’s how it was on the breakaway deck 12!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I usually am in the haven and truly have not had anything much done by a butler but every one of them has told me how busy they are lol

We have stayed in the haven 3 times now and have yet to have a butler that did anything but leave snacks in our room! In my opinion the concierge does much more

Thank you for your review. Cagneys was my favorite on ship restaurant prior to staying in the Haven last year. The Haven restaurant is like Cagneys every day and agree with your assessment. We started going to LaCuccina instead of Cagneys due to the quality of the Haven restaurant.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Interesting. We were not fans of the Haven restaurant. Not because it was bad, but because the menu never changed. Part of cruising for us, especially on NCL, is exploring and trying out all the different dining venues. After enjoying breakfast in the Haven restaurant, we couldn't see ourselves having another meal there. But I do get the appeal for those who don't want to explore.