Gatun/colon Shore Excursion Questions.

twopats

Can anyone tell us whether the shore excursions from the ship (Zaandam 1/4/06 sailing) are the best and only way for this port? If so, what is the best excursion? Is the aerial tram recommended, or perhaps the railway trip? Any comments anyone has would be great as we have never been to this port and are quite confused as to which would be the best. Trish and Pat

I heard there are many excursions : one that takes a train to the pacific side and then you board a ferry and transit the canal. I also heard there is another tour that brings you to the locks to watch but you do not go through it. This tour is more than half less than the first, which is about 150 plus dollars i was told, where the look at the canal is starting at 50-99.

Any real solid info on this would be great, since this is just heresay.

Twopats: We did the partial transit on Coral Princess so I will tell you what we did on that line. I do not know anything about Holland Ameriaca so here goes. We did what they call the Ocean to Ocean where we are tendered off on Gatun Lake and the tender went to a yacht harbor where we boarded a 200 passenger boat that took us all the way through the two other locks on the Pacfic Ocean side. it was a long trip, expensive but worth every dime. Once we got to the Pacific side we then boarded buses to take us back to the ship at Gatun Lock. Hope this helps.

Marilyn

Archived