Two people found dead Harmony Of the Seas

So sad for the families and friends of these people.

I am an avid Royal fan, but if Royal (and other lines) have had issues with Charter groups in the past, why would they even allow them to return? It's not like they can't fill these ships, is it?

We sailed on the Enchantment in early November and had an Amway-type group on board, can't remember the name right now. We were approached more than a few times to "sign up" and over-heard people at the pool telling each other how many people they got to "sign up". Harmless enough, I guess, but would have been nice to know ahead of time. :rolleyes:

This was a full Charter, and yes they fill the ship.

http://atlantisevents.com/

How do they know it was from Ambien. They do toxicology aboard ship?

I’m sure it was just a rumor,just like two died .

This is what TMZ is reporting

http://www.tmz.com/2018/01/24/storm-chaser-star-joel-taylor-drug-overdose-od-died-dead-cruise-ship/

A passenger who interacted with Joel tells TMZ, Joel had consumed enough GHB on the dance floor Tuesday that he was rendered unconscious and taken off the dance floor by 2 people and back to his room.

They are doing the autopsy in San Juan,so won’t know definitely until then.

I’m sure it was just a rumor,just like two died .

This is what TMZ is reporting

www.tmz.com/2018/01/24/storm-chaser-star-joel-taylor-drug-overdose-od-died-dead-cruise-ship/

A passenger who interacted with Joel tells TMZ, Joel had consumed enough GHB on the dance floor Tuesday that he was rendered unconscious and taken off the dance floor by 2 people and back to his room.

They are doing the autopsy in San Juan,so won’t know definitely until then.

Sounds like people really came prepared for their vacation.

It's sad that drugs are mainly prevalent on gay cruises.

Why would you even make this statement?

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/24-people-arrested-on-drug-charges-before-boarding-edm-cruise-deputies-say

http://www.miaminewtimes.com/music/edms-head-in-the-sand-approach-to-drugs-needs-to-end-8139133

Might as well "hate" electronic dance music.

People who like to "party" with hard drugs sometimes end up on cruise ships. Their sexual orientation is irrelevant.

Why would you even make this statement?

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/24-people-arrested-on-drug-charges-before-boarding-edm-cruise-deputies-say

http://www.miaminewtimes.com/music/edms-head-in-the-sand-approach-to-drugs-needs-to-end-8139133

Might as well "hate" electronic dance music.

People who like to "party" with hard drugs sometimes end up on cruise ships. Their sexual orientation is irrelevant.

To be fair, I don't know much about who takes drugs on ships, but what I was saying was that from a gay perspective, I feel that this can further reinforce negative opinions about gay people, which is sadly still in society.

My thoughts go out to the friends and family. Sad indeed.

Even though death is a part of life, we always find it difficult as well as intriguing. I hope his friends onboard and family on land will be able to find strength.

Sometimes curiosity gets the better of me, and I am curious to know where he passed.

To be fair, I don't know much about who takes drugs on ships, but what I was saying was that from a gay perspective, I feel that this can further reinforce negative opinions about gay people, which is sadly still in society.

Sorry, you're right. The phrasing just felt off to me (mostly because I know there are a ton of party cruises and "lifestyle" cruises). And it seems stupidly easy to get pill-type drugs onto a cruise ship. God knows there are plenty of drugs in Florida.

When I think "designer drug deaths" I think "music festival", not "gay scene".

In other words, if people choose *this* as a reason to justify their homophobia, they were probably never going to stop being homophobic anyway. :(

My thoughts go out to the friends and family. Sad indeed.

Even though death is a part of life, we always find it difficult as well as intriguing. I hope his friends onboard and family on land will be able to find strength.

Sometimes curiosity gets the better of me, and I am curious to know where he passed.

Sorry, that part just grabbed me a bit. It would be great if "friends" on board looked after each other a bit better. I don't want to come across as non-sympathetic but I've dealt with enough overdoses in my career that over time have greatly changed my definition of the word "friend".

What is GHB?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamma-Hydroxybutyric_acid#Recreational_use

"When death is associated with GHB, it is sometimes in conjunction with other drugs, such as alcohol or benzodiazepine which influence the same neurotransmitter (gamma-aminobutyric acid, GABA). The effects of GHB can last from 1.5 to 4 hours, or even longer if large doses have been consumed.[21] Consuming GHB with alcohol is dangerous as it can lead to respiratory arrest and vomiting in combination with unrouseable sleep, a potentially lethal combination.[22][23]"

GHB is a "downer", it suppresses the nervous system, can be very similar to the effects of alcohol. In higher dosages it's also known as the "date rape" drug.

I think Rohypnol was the original date-rape drug, but I guess it's academic at this point.

No Joe, sexual orientation and doing stupid things have nothing to do with one an other. Only ignorant people would try to connect the two.

Sorry, that part just grabbed me a bit. It would be great if "friends" on board looked after each other a bit better. I don't want to come across as non-sympathetic but I've dealt with enough overdoses in my career that over time have greatly changed my definition of the word "friend".

Addicts don't have friends, they have acquaintances with similar interests.

Now, not sure if he was an addict or got caught up in doing something for the first time and had no idea what he was doing (and maybe his friends didn't know the danger either). I don't want to speculate on that.

This isn't an average cruise - it is the Atlantis gay charter. Even then, I can assure you that the majority of gay men would not bring drugs on the ship, but I could see security being more lax on a charter.

I would really love to be onboard, the staff seem to be loving it and a charter cruise full of gay men sounds great fun, but the drugs issue does take it too far for me.

Here is the article http://www.tmz.com/2018/01/24/storm-chaser-star-joel-taylor-drug-overdose-od-died-dead-cruise-ship/

Addicts don't have friends, they have acquaintances with similar interests.

Now, not sure if he was an addict or got caught up in doing something for the first time and had no idea what he was doing (and maybe his friends didn't know the danger either). I don't want to speculate on that.

I'm not sure what vacuum someone could grow up in that they could get to age 21 and have no idea about the danger of drugs.

I'm not sure what vacuum someone could grow up in that they could get to age 21 and have no idea about the danger of drugs.

I don't know entirely what point you're making, but some people can still grow up incredibly sheltered and naive, especially in certain religious settings (Mormonism, for example); and 21 year olds aren't known for great decision-making skills to begin with.

I don't know entirely what point you're making, but some people can still grow up incredibly sheltered and naive, especially in certain religious settings (Mormonism, for example); and 21 year olds aren't known for great decision-making skills to begin with.

No real point. I've dealt with a lot of overdoses, heard every possible reason for how it happened, and maybe just a little too jaded tonight.

Well, there is the "danger" of drugs that are completely overblown and then there are the dangers that are real. For instance if you listen to Jeff Sessions marijuana is just as dangerous as heroin. Things like that send mixed messages and cause people to misunderstand the dangers of some drugs. A lot of stories are about dangerous things cut with drugs to increase the supply (or increase the high). So, people tend to think "legal" drugs are safer and GHB does have actual therapeutic uses. He may have been drinking a lot before hand and people sometimes do stupid things while drunk, just Google "Hold my beer, watch this".

Most illegal drugs are just as safe as a large number of legal drugs assuming they are created properly, not cut with adulterants, used in the correct dosage, and not mixing with other substances that can cause adverse reactions. The problem is this is almost never the case. The purity and dosage is almost never known and the "recreational" levels taken are much higher than the "safe" dosage levels. But this knowledge can easily give people a false sense of security.