How To Claim Insurance Coverage

JULIE7

In the case of those that are trapped waiting to depart, How do you request that covered portion? example the trip interruption coverage.

Has anyone encountered any situation where you had to claim during the cruise?

How do you do it?

Has anyone had to claim anything at all to the insurance? Was the service quick? :confused: :confused: :rolleyes:

because I too have purchased trip insurance and not known how to use it!

I would probably just take a look, in the moment, at the terms and conditions of the insurance - find a number to call.

If I didnt bring documentation with me about the policy or the company, I would find the companies number (online, phone book) and call them directly.

If I couldnt remember what the name of the company was I would log onto my email or even call my credit card company (the card I used to pay the fee) and start asking them.

If I couldnt figure it out at all I would suck it up, pay out of my own pocket, kick myself for being an idiot and not bringing the info with me, and square up with them when i got home.....

My insurance company was CSA; I notified them and they sent the claim forms to my home. They were there when I returned. I had to stay in a hotel for two nights, so I charged it and sent the proof to the insurance company and they paid it plus the meals. Since I wasn't on the ship, they paid the daily rate that I paid for the cruise. I think these folks are on the ship, so there would probably only be a partial amount and maybe only if they miss a port.

because I too have purchased trip insurance and not known how to use it!

I would probably just take a look, in the moment, at the terms and conditions of the insurance - find a number to call.

If I didnt bring documentation with me about the policy or the company, I would find the companies number (online, phone book) and call them directly.

If I couldnt remember what the name of the company was I would log onto my email or even call my credit card company (the card I used to pay the fee) and start asking them.

If I couldnt figure it out at all I would suck it up, pay out of my own pocket, kick myself for being an idiot and not bringing the info with me, and square up with them when i got home.....

In the case of those that are trapped waiting to depart, How do you request that covered portion? :

Any time you even think there might be a claim against your coverage call the toll-free number they give you BEFORE doing anything else. Tell them what's going on and they'll tell you what your options are, list the supporting documents you'll need, and offer any help that they might have.

The reason for calling at the time rather than waiting until you return home is that you might need some documentation for the claim that may be readily available right there on the spot but impossible to get later on.

Yep, for the first time in many cruises we will be using our Travel Insurance to cancel our adventure cruise on 3 days due to 2 illnesses in the family. This is unfortunate and while we are experienced cruisers we are new to the whole insurance redemption thing. So just like others this will be a learning curve although we are fortunate enough to not have left yet. In our case our cruise insurance was with Royal Carribbean directly but looking at the information provided it appears that they now cover airfare booked on your own as well. I wonder if they will cover the cost for us to put our frequent flier tickets back into points or just the taxes we paid on the frequent flier tickets.

Save receipts, call your insurance company as soon as possible, document everything (just in case) and send in the claim.

Insurance is a reimbursement for loses situation. Make sure you are able to pay your way (enough room on the credit card) as the insurance company won't make arrangements for you and pay the supplier (hotel's, restaurants, airlines) directly. They may have a travel agent who can help you make arrangements but it will come out of your pocket first, then you'll submit your claim form along with documentation of your expenses.

Yep, for the first time in many cruises we will be using our Travel Insurance to cancel our adventure cruise on 3 days due to 2 illnesses in the family. This is unfortunate and while we are experienced cruisers we are new to the whole insurance redemption thing. So just like others this will be a learning curve although we are fortunate enough to not have left yet. In our case our cruise insurance was with Royal Carribbean directly but looking at the information provided it appears that they now cover airfare booked on your own as well. I wonder if they will cover the cost for us to put our frequent flier tickets back into points or just the taxes we paid on the frequent flier tickets.
Joe, so sorry to hear about your family members being sick. I hope that all turns out well.

let me tell you i am glad i listened to my TA adn purchased the cruise insurance. i had a stomach virus my entire cruise and my bill for the medical attention i received on board the majesty of the seas came to $909. as soon as i got home i called the 800 number in the back of my RCCL book that had my insurance information. they ask you for your reservation number from your cruise. they were very helpful and will be sending me the proper forms to fill out and send back to them. the lady i spoke to was so apologetic that i spent my whole cruise in bed sick.

I filed a claim with CSA regarding the losses I incurred due to the cancelled Enchantment cruise. Save all your receipts, document everything. They will send you a form and you must have proof of everything...Have mailed it all in a few weeks ago. Waiting to hear what I get back.

We were stuck in Miami on the ship and didn't make the first port, Nassau. We had a room booked at Atlantis resort. As soon as the captain told us that we were DEFINATELY NOT going to Nassau, I called the insurance company (take all DOCUMENTION with you on your cruise). After having to explain the fact that the port was closed and it was NOT the cruiseline's fault, she went ahead and gave us a claim. SHe told us to DOCUMENT everything and get a letter from RCI as proof that the ship was not going to Nassau because it was of no fault of their own, which I did. We should be getting the clam form in the mail. I'll keep you posted.

My in laws traveled with friends on the Conquest last month. The friend wife fell, breaking her wrist aboard the ship and otherwise bruising her body. She ended up in a cast and a wheelchair. The ship doctor wouldn't let her off the ship at the first port of Jamaica, so they all stayed aboard with her.

They didn't call the insurance until they returned, and they've received the claim forms now. The claim forms ask for the ship doctor's name and his statement of her injury. She doesn't have that information, so we're sending it with what we know.

Lesson learned from our first insurance claim: Call while it's happening (what cruiseco said!), because then you'll know exactly what documentation to get to make this a smooth process when you return home.

We're still waiting to see if not having this is going to make this a problem.

Nonetheless, happy cruising!

Archived