Repairs after hurricane question

FirstAnthem

Just curious if anyone has any idea how long it might take for the Caribbean islands to rebuild after the hurricane? We are looking at a cruise going to St Maarten and San Juan next February, but I have no idea if the islands will be back up to speed in a year. I know people are cruising there now, but never having been to any of these places, I wondered if it might be better to do a cruise with different ports for now, or if a year would be enough time for the islands to repair. Thank you!

I think your question is very subjective. What do you mean by rebuild? I don’t think there is a definitive answer. It could be months but most likely years. Just take a few minutes and look at the previous posts here and in the other Caribbean port of call forums to get an idea of the varying stages of recovery. Start with Puerto Rico. I think in short order you find answers.

Just curious if anyone has any idea how long it might take for the Caribbean islands to rebuild after the hurricane? We are looking at a cruise going to St Maarten and San Juan next February, but I have no idea if the islands will be back up to speed in a year. I know people are cruising there now, but never having been to any of these places, I wondered if it might be better to do a cruise with different ports for now, or if a year would be enough time for the islands to repair. Thank you!

Hurricane season happens every year so who knows what islands will be hit next. It's quite possible that just when the islands affected this past year get back to where they were they could get hit again.

The island had plenty up and running during our visit earlier this month to entertain anyone for 10 hrs.;)

St Maarten seemed to be hit much harder than Puerto Rico. At least from what we saw. St Maarten had their beaches cleaned up and were working hard to get things fixed as best they could for the tourists. We were on the first Carnival ship back to the island. They seemed very happy to have us there. Without tourism dollars these people are really hurting.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

But does the ability to accept and accommodate tourists equal being rebuilt? One could argue that it is only part of the rebuilding process. That’s why there are so many existing threads (including here) in the different Caribbean already discussing this exact topic from that island’s perspective.

Thank you for all your input and perspectives! I guess what I meant by rebuilt enough was, will they be up and running enough in a year where a good amount excursions will be available, and will the island really look and feel like it does in its normal state. I only ask because we have never been to any part of the Caribbean, and we can't afford to cruise over and over, so this may be our one time with our kids to see these islands. :)

But does the ability to accept and accommodate tourists equal being rebuilt? One could argue that it is only part of the rebuilding process. That’s why there are so many existing threads (including here) in the different Caribbean already discussing this exact topic from that island’s perspective.

Well when many timeshare resorts and hotels and all inclusive resorts and condominiums are being rebuilt /restored as in St. Maarten/St. Martin it really does affect the islands ability to accept tourists.

Cruisers are less affected and in some ways it’s a really good time to cruise to St. Maarten. The beaches are far less crowded and the traffic is much better. Also, I have never felt more welcome on the island as I did on my trip earlier this month.

Yes. That’s my point. Just because cruises are returning to St Maarten, does not mean that it has recovered from Irma. That will likely take years.

My advice to the OP is to visit the specific CC Caribbean forum sites relating to your ports of call on your cruise. They are in varying forms of recovery. There are numbers existing threads that likely answer your questions