Ice Caves at Mendenhall glacier in September

terpshockey77

There are tours that go there. I believe Gastineau Guiding runs one and there's one through the ship if your schedule fits. You kayak or canoe across the lake to the glacier and then walk to the ice caves. I think they were done by the end of July last year as they get unstable as the weather warms. It depends on how warm and sunny it is next summer.

Are the ice caves at Mendenhall glacier likely to still be around in the beginning of September? If so, what is the best way to see them?

Hello, I went on a tour where we canoed to Mendenhall and went through the caves. It was absolutely breathtaking. One of the most phenomenal experiences of my life.

The tour vendor was liquid Alaska tours. The tour name is called Mendenhall Glacier ice adventure tour.

Or you can go with another vendor called above and beyond Alaska. They have the same tour, it is an hour longer I believe. So depending on your stay in Juneau... check them out. Liquid Alaska tours was incredible and the guides were very friendly and professional

Hello, I went on a tour where we canoed to Mendenhall and went through the caves. It was absolutely breathtaking. One of the most phenomenal experiences of my life.

The tour vendor was liquid Alaska tours. The tour name is called Mendenhall Glacier ice adventure tour.

Or you can go with another vendor called above and beyond Alaska. They have the same tour, it is an hour longer I believe. So depending on your stay in Juneau... check them out. Liquid Alaska tours was incredible and the guides were very friendly and professional

We are very interested in this tour for early June. Did you book it far in advance or are openings available closer to the time? I’d like to know if the caves are likely to be available and the weather prediction before being out in a canoe for two hours. It’s a pricey tour so I thought it might not be booked up as much.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are very interested in this tour for early June. Did you book it far in advance or are openings available closer to the time? I’d like to know if the caves are likely to be available and the weather prediction before being out in a canoe for two hours. It’s a pricey tour so I thought it might not be booked up as much.

I did book far in advance, last year I booked in October and my Alaska cruise was the beginning July. This tour does sell out fast. When I got off the ship and met my guide, a guy actually approached the guide and asked “do you have any room for me and my wife to join your tour” and he said “no sorry we are fully booked”. I actually felt really bad for that guy :(.

If I were you I would call or email them and ask them how many spots are available.

Regarding being able to go into the caves, it’s very rare that they won’t allow you to access caves, according to all the reviews from trip advisor. Most of the time, people get to go into the caves. This experience I tell you is. Or to be missed!

Here is the link to there website, give them al call :)

https://liquidalaskatours.com/

I did book far in advance, last year I booked in October and my Alaska cruise was the beginning July. This tour does sell out fast. When I got off the ship and met my guide, a guy actually approached the guide and asked “do you have any room for me and my wife to join your tour” and he said “no sorry we are fully booked”. I actually felt really bad for that guy :(.

If I were you I would call or email them and ask them how many spots are available.

Regarding being able to go into the caves, it’s very rare that they won’t allow you to access caves, according to all the reviews from trip advisor. Most of the time, people get to go into the caves. This experience I tell you is. Or to be missed!

Here is the link to there website, give them al call :)

https://liquidalaskatours.com/

Thank you for your quick reply. Their online calendar shows openings for everyday but one in June.

Did they say what they do if it’s raining? We did a lot of zodiac touring at the base of glaciers in Greenland last summer, so I’m most interested in the ice caves over just “seeing” the glacier.

Is this excursion more for the young? We are active late 60s and do limited sea kayaking. Do they paddle at a leisurely pace or is this more for hard chargers?