Britannia Cookery Club

sammybonny

We will be on Britannia at the end of May and my husband fancies trying the Indian cookery session at the Cookery Club. Has anyone done this and did they enjoy it/ was it worth doing?

I won't be joining him but I will look forward to not have to clean up after him as I do at home😊

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

I did the chocolate brownies at the end of my last cruise 2 years ago, and tbh I wasn't overly impressed. It was quite an effort and took all afternoon. There are plenty of other activities I would have preferred to do over this. If I had to do it again I would do something savory though (rather than chocolate). Indian food sounds like a good choice.

That being said, I am going again next week on Britannia, and won't be booking any cookery classes.

We did the lazy option of ‘dinner party secrets’ there is a bit of s demo and the chefs cook you s meal. It was ok, I’d probably do it again, there was plenty of wine!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 months later...

I was looking at doing one of these and spotted for instance that the Caribbean one was a Demonstration and then sit down and eat the food as a meal and was at 7.30 in the evening. (I have been on other cruises where they do demonstrations and you get a sample and wine pairing, for free)

I was expecting a more hands on experience, are there any?

We did the sweet baking session - tarts and cake - and loved it. We regularly do one of the recipes at home now. Our niece is a very keen cook and is probably going to follow this path as a future career. She is going on Britannia with her parents in July and we wanted to pay for her to do something in the Cookery Club as her 16th birthday gift from us - but she is 2 weeks too young! Can't do it unless you're 16 yrs old. She is (and we are) so disappointed.

Is there an easy way to tell the difference between a 'hands on' course vs just a demonstration?

Like I said I liked the look of the Caribbean one, but it clearly said a demonstration followed by sitting down and eating the prepared food. There is a Thai Street Food one that seems like it might be more hands on.

We did the sweet baking session - tarts and cake - and loved it. We regularly do one of the recipes at home now. Our niece is a very keen cook and is probably going to follow this path as a future career. She is going on Britannia with her parents in July and we wanted to pay for her to do something in the Cookery Club as her 16th birthday gift from us - but she is 2 weeks too young! Can't do it unless you're 16 yrs old. She is (and we are) so disappointed.

There is a parent and child class which she could join. Of course someone would have to go with her.

Is there an easy way to tell the difference between a 'hands on' course vs just a demonstration?

Like I said I liked the look of the Caribbean one, but it clearly said a demonstration followed by sitting down and eating the prepared food. There is a Thai Street Food one that seems like it might be more hands on.

Thai street food is very hands on and recommended.

You make Chicken Satay, Thai fish cakes and Thai beef salad. Very tasty.