Kodak Z740 or Canon Powershot A610?

forevertan

Any opinions to either of these?I would probably never print larger then an 8x10(even that size not a lot)that is why I'm looking at a 5mp.The Kodak has a larger zoom,10x,and I think that would be nice when we're on vacation if there is something in the distance we'll be able to get it.The Canon only has a 4x zoom but the view finder flips out which would be nice for self timing.But maybe I'm completely wrong,any suggestions?This is my first cruise and I want nice picture's.

I own the Kodak, it is very user friendly. I have taken some very nice photos in all different situations. Distance of my soccer player son (sports setting works great), nightime of 5 baby raccoons in my yard (a little dark), great close ups the zoom really is amazing. I didn't notice where you are from but Frys has this camera on sale for $199.99 I am sure you could purchase it online. Goodluck:)

I also own the Kodak you mention as well as a Cannon S1.

The Kodak is more user friendly but the Cannon takes a little better pics. Especially at night. However, the S1 may have a better lens than the Cannon you're looking at. I'm not sure how the Cannon we own stacks up to the one you're comparing to the Kodak.

The kodak also has a quicker shutter when you press the button. I can take 3 or 4 pics in the time it takes my wife to take 1 pic with the Cannon. The delay between pressing the button and the shutter snapping drives her nuts.

Also, the screen on the Kodak is considerably larger than on the Cannon we own. This makes some difference when looking at a pic you've just taken. I get a much better idea what I've got with the Kodack than with the Cannon.

Overall, I like both camera's for different reasons. The S1 (now available as S2) takes better quality pics in most situations. The Kodak is more user friendly and has digital zoom on top of 10X optical zoom, allowing me to get in real close for some pic's. I ended up with some great pics of humibirds at our feeder that my wife couldn't get, even with 10X zoom on the Cannon we own.

If you're looking for ease of use, the Kodak is a great choice and takes very good pics. If your looking for a little better quality at night, then the Cannon may be the better choice.

Most of the Brilliance, Enchantment and pics from our med cruise were taken with the Kodak Z740. Links to the pics are in my signature at the bottom of the page.

I liked my HP better than my Canon PowerShot A20? The Canon does not easily show the battery life left, menus are not that easy to navigate, and their software is not as good as HP. HP is more user friendly. I think the pictures from both are comparable.

I bought the Kodak Z740 for $204 including shipping. Check out bensbargains.net, I doubt it is still on sale at that price though... The thing I like most about this camera is the 10x Optical zoom. If combined with the 5x (Advanced) Digital zoom you can zoom up to 50x! I try to avoid using the digital zoom though because it lowers the quality of the pictures by enlarging pixels.

Archived