FLL Airport: Any place to wait AFTER we get our luggage?

baggal

This is our situation: We just booked a Feb. 24 cruise leaving from Ft. Lauderdale. Normally, we fly into Ft. Lauderdale a few days early to visit with friends and family before the cruise but since this an "extra" cruise (we were just there in December) we decided not to spend the nearly $400 a night for a last minute hotel room (yes, its high season) and take our chances and fly in the day of the cruise. We booked a 6 AM flight (in case there are delays) which is scheduled to arrive in FLL at 9 AM which I know is too early to go to the cruise terminal. We also took insurance that covers trip interruption.

MY question: I have been through FLL multiple times but I don't recall seeing any place in the luggage claim area where we can stay comfortably for an hour or so. Is there some place else in the airport? We thought of going to the United Club but I don't think TSA will let us go back into the terminal area without boarding passes. We will have been awake since 3 AM and will have our luggage with us so we really don't want to leave the airport unless we go straight to the port.

Worse case scenario: the plane will be on time, our luggage will come out quickly and we'll just take a cab over to the port and wait outside the terminal if there's no where to wait in the airport.

This is our situation: We just booked a Feb. 24 cruise leaving from Ft. Lauderdale. Normally, we fly into Ft. Lauderdale a few days early to visit with friends and family before the cruise but since this an "extra" cruise (we were just there in December) we decided not to spend the nearly $400 a night for a last minute hotel room (yes, its high season) and take our chances and fly in the day of the cruise. We booked a 6 AM flight (in case there are delays) which is scheduled to arrive in FLL at 9 AM which I know is too early to go to the cruise terminal. We also took insurance that covers trip interruption.

MY question: I have been through FLL multiple times but I don't recall seeing any place in the luggage claim area where we can stay comfortably for an hour or so. Is there some place else in the airport? We thought of going to the United Club but I don't think TSA will let us go back into the terminal area without boarding passes. We will have been awake since 3 AM and will have our luggage with us so we really don't want to leave the airport unless we go straight to the port.

Worse case scenario: the plane will be on time, our luggage will come out quickly and we'll just take a cab over to the port and wait outside the terminal if there's no where to wait in the airport.

I know this is true for the southwest terminal at least:

There are places to sit, and food and snacks to be had (Starbucks, a bagel place, etc). Yes, this is near the luggage claim and outside security.

There is also a place in the same terminal (or was in 2016) that you can pay to hold your luggage securely. You'll need to show your ship boarding pass before they will accept your luggage, and it was fairly pricey (about $8/bag).

Needless to say, been in the same position. There are definitely some amenities you can still access once you've exited security and grabbed your luggage.

Wow, you have faith in Mother Nature...especially in February. Having to sit waiting at FLL would be the BEST scenario, not the worse!

You don't have long to wait. I'd just grab some coffee and sit. There are chairs and benches in the baggage claim area. Leave the airport at 10:30. Then you'll have a different view as you sit in the terminal waiting to board.

Wow, you have faith in Mother Nature...especially in February. Having to sit waiting at FLL would be the BEST scenario, not the worse!

You don't have long to wait. I'd just grab some coffee and sit. There are chairs and benches in the baggage claim area. Leave the airport at 10:30. Then you'll have a different view as you sit in the terminal waiting to board.

Thanks for your advice. We fully understand the risks. On the other hand, it was 55 degrees in NYC yesterday!

I know this is true for the southwest terminal at least:

There are places to sit, and food and snacks to be had (Starbucks, a bagel place, etc). Yes, this is near the luggage claim and outside security.

There is also a place in the same terminal (or was in 2016) that you can pay to hold your luggage securely. You'll need to show your ship boarding pass before they will accept your luggage, and it was fairly pricey (about $8/bag).

Needless to say, been in the same position. There are definitely some amenities you can still access once you've exited security and grabbed your luggage.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

OP here reporting back on our experience. On Saturday, February 24 we pulled away from our gate at Newark airport at exactly 6 a.m. The weather was calm and clear and about 45 degrees. No storms up and down the east coast. The chatty pilot informed us that it looked like we would be arriving at FLL approximately 20 minutes early!! Oh no! More time to waste before we go to the pier. We did in fact land at 9:20 a.m.! Unbelievable. We retrieved our luggage and found tables and chairs next to Margarita's in the baggage area. Yes, they were open and people were drinking beer at 10 a.m. We opted for Starbucks and when we were done it was 10:20. Time to go. Taxied over to the pier and were able to check in right away. We waited just a short while and then were able to board.

Now, if we had planned to fly down on Friday, March 2 during the epic Nor'easter its doubtful that we would have arrived on Friday, or even Saturday, in time to make the ship. I know we were very lucky. But...we had insurance.