San Juan - Pork Highway?

dssking

Morning all,

We'll be staying in San Juan pre-cruise and would like to get a car and head up the "Pork Highway". Suggesions? Is it open due to the hurricane?

We did this in 2012 and would highly recommend it.............

Thanks

It is a great area. The roads are steep and curvy in that area, love the pig BBQ places along that stretch.

Not sure if I would want to drive those narrow roads. We took “Tours with Ellis” (info on his Facebook page), Mango Daquari Tour, great way to see the island. He is a fabulous guide.

i have been following a thread on tripadvisor about this. apparently they re-opened right after maria and cooked with generators and are all open now. i have driven this on my own and found it to be no worse than any other windy roads in the caribbean...just take it slow and steady. there is much more atmosphere on the weekends with people partying and such, but many of the lechoneros are open during the week.

It is a great area. The roads are steep and curvy in that area, love the pig BBQ places along that stretch.

Not sure if I would want to drive those narrow roads. We took “Tours with Ellis” (info on his Facebook page), Mango Daquari Tour, great way to see the island. He is a fabulous guide.

Because we were in a hurry, we once decided to try the places just off of the autopista (freeway), and they are very, very good, too. They are a great option if you are worried about driving up to Guavate.